NY compliant AR rifles - Newbie's Unite! - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

NY compliant AR rifles

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 marcha1

marcha1

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 10 2020 - 10:33 AM

hello everyone.  im a newbie to the forum (obviously) and new to guns/rifles and shooting.  i looked around on this forum and online for what would be NY compliant rifles and its a little confusing.   all the local rifle stores ive gone to have very expensive AR rifles, if any are left in stock.  i understand the max capacity for said rifle is 10 rounds and it cannot have a folding/collapsing stock.   i am looking for something like an

S&W MP15.   can anyone point me in a direction of NY legal AR rifles of this type please?  any help would be appreciated.  thank you.  and please excuse my "rookie-ness" .  im picking it up a little at a time.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 scaryblackplastic

scaryblackplastic

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted April 10 2020 - 11:57 AM

Copy pasta from another thread:

The People's Republic of NY gun laws are new to me as well. Here's the quick version as I understand it. A semiautomatic rifle that accepts detachable magazines and has one or more 'evil' features (collapsible stock, thumbhole stock, pistol grip, threaded barrel, muzzle device, bayonet lug) is deemed an 'assault weapon'. These are legal only if owned prior to the unSAFE Act's passage and registered with NYS.

So you have a few options to avoid this. 
1. fixed mag; now you can have all the features
2. featureless rifle; now you can have detachable mags
3. disable the semiautomatic feature; now you can have all features and detachable mags. But you've also turned your AR into a bolt gun.

If you want something that looks like a traditional AR-15, then you want to go with option #1. But if you must have detachable mags, then go with option #2 and get used to the ugliness.

Now that I've got a fixed mag AR, I must concede not being able to drop the mag is a bit of an inconvenience, even apart from reloading or malfunction clearing. Normally when I want to do a little maintenance on an AR, I'd insert a vise block in the mag well; can't do that with a fixed mag. Or if I want to show someone how an AR functions and operate the bolt, can't do that without chambering a round (or emptying the mag).

No matter which way you go, you are limited to restricted capacity (10rd) mags. Standard capacity mags (30rd) are illegal here; anything above 10rds is banned. Can't even have .22lr mags greater than 10rds. It is beyond ridiculous.

#3 depiazzy

depiazzy

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 105 posts
  • Locationislip

Posted April 10 2020 - 04:50 PM

As said above easy way to tell what you can and can’t have is quite simple. Any bolt action you can have anything besides any mag over 10 rounds. If it’s semi auto you have a few options. Make the magazine permanent aka magazine locks so it can’t be removed and you can have all the features you want. If you want a removable mag. You can’t have a threaded barrel, forward grip. Pistol grip that pertrudes below the action of the gun. Folding or collapsible stock. Bayonet.

#4 depiazzy

depiazzy

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 105 posts
  • Locationislip

Posted April 10 2020 - 04:51 PM

For me if the guns reliable I pin the mag so I can keep it looking normal and have all features. It’s really not that big of a deal to me any more. They won’t change the law anytime soon

#5 marcha1

marcha1

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 10 2020 - 07:58 PM

thanks.  i appreciate the answers.  but i dont seem to see any like that stated above available online.   can someone point me to a specific rifle for sale somewhere online?   all the ones ive seen have 6 point collapsing stock and/or removable mag

#6 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 610 posts

Posted April 10 2020 - 08:08 PM

thanks.  i appreciate the answers.  but i dont seem to see any like that stated above available online.   can someone point me to a specific rifle for sale somewhere online?   all the ones ive seen have 6 point collapsing stock and/or removable mag

I’m not aware of any online vendors making NY compliant rifles. Either buy one from a local gun store or build one. They are fairly easy to build.

#7 scaryblackplastic

scaryblackplastic

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted April 10 2020 - 09:04 PM

all the local rifle stores ive gone to have very expensive AR rifles, if any are left in stock.

I'm not very familiar with pricing of ARs in NY, but it does seem the featureless rifles are more expensive than what you'd pay for an AR in non-commie states. I'm guessing that's because the production quantities are way lower for the various stock/grip monstrosities and non-threaded barrels than they are for regular stocks, grips and threaded barrels. The fixed mag rifles should be in the ballpark of what they sell for elsewhere plus cost of fixing the mag as well as maybe more hoops/overhead dealers have to go through in NY relative to non-commie states.

Are you looking for an AR with detachable mags or one with the other features (or both and give up semi-auto)?

#8 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted April 10 2020 - 09:31 PM

You can build a compliant rifle for about $400. Making it compliant is as simple as buying a cheap bullet button and putting epoxy on it
  • scaryblackplastic likes this

#9 marcha1

marcha1

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 11 2020 - 07:44 AM

thank you again for all of your responses.  i did not think of building one myself.  i will look in to that.  as far as mags go, i would prefer a detachable mag (like anyone else i would imagine...).  now my search will be for self build parts.

#10 scaryblackplastic

scaryblackplastic

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted April 11 2020 - 09:06 AM

as far as mags go, i would prefer a detachable mag (like anyone else i would imagine...).  

You're talking like someone who used to live in a state that doesn't piss all over 2A. In the People's Republic of NY, there are tradeoffs, which is why some prefer the fixed mag option.

Couple of discussion threads on this issue:

https://nyfirearms.c...ureless-ar.html

https://www.longisla...s-vs-fixed-mag/

Coming from the South, I couldn't bear the thought of a hideous featureless AR, so I went fixed mag. Fixed mag has obvious drawbacks, so I may end up getting a second AR that is featureless. Way to go SAFE Act - get people to buy two ARs when they could have been happy with one.

#11 depiazzy

depiazzy

Respected Gunowner

• 105 posts
  • Locationislip

Posted April 11 2020 - 10:54 AM

For a rifle built already I recommend checking out LI gun source on 112 Medford. Or south shore sportsman. Islip location and Nassau. Hunter sports in Massapequa also has a nice selection of rifles

#12 The_Rev

The_Rev

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted June 02 2020 - 09:11 PM

Any thoughts on the Troy Arms pump-action "AR"?

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11171 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 03 2020 - 04:23 AM

Any thoughts on the Troy Arms pump-action "AR"?

The Troy Pump has all the evil looking features available to own in restricted states. The only negative I hear is the action is a bit stiff to cycle.

#14 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 193 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 03 2020 - 09:39 AM

You can build a compliant rifle for about $400. Making it compliant is as simple as buying a cheap bullet button and putting epoxy on it

Does this completely pass muster if they decide to inspect your firearm?  I wouldn't exactly consider epoxy a "permanent" fixture.

Here's a good starting place on building one:   https://www.reddit.c..._nys_compliant/

#15 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2329 posts

Posted June 03 2020 - 11:23 PM

Does this completely pass muster if they decide to inspect your firearm? I wouldn't exactly consider epoxy a "permanent" fixture.

Here's a good starting place on building one: https://www.reddit.c..._nys_compliant/

The law doesn't say that it needs to be permanent

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11171 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 04 2020 - 06:39 AM

The law doesn't say that it needs to be permanent

Many AR builds made to be New York Compliant use epoxy for fixed magazine AR and for using it for a barrel thread protector. I know one of the companies that sells their Stock recommended using epoxy on the screw. I asked him why and he said it’s to prove you that you couldn’t remove the grip easily and install the original AR pistol grip. If anyone remembers the T&T video from the former Nassau DA Rice showing her Investigator removing a pinned muzzle brake. It proved the part couldn’t be easily removed by hand.

#17 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2329 posts

Posted June 04 2020 - 10:03 AM

Many AR builds made to be New York Compliant use epoxy for fixed magazine AR and for using it for a barrel thread protector. I know one of the companies that sells their Stock recommended using epoxy on the screw. I asked him why and he said it’s to prove you that you couldn’t remove the grip easily and install the original AR pistol grip. If anyone remembers the T&T video from the former Nassau DA Rice showing her Investigator removing a pinned muzzle brake. It proved the part couldn’t be easily removed by hand.

Exactly... Not easy but didn't specify permanent..

The only thing permanent in the safe act was modifying magazines to hold no more than 10 rounds.. That mod had to be permanent

#18 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.

• Club LIF Member
  • 6236 posts

Posted June 04 2020 - 12:13 PM

I'm sorry, but this reeks of troll. Obama told us how easy it was to buy an AR. Easier than a book, I heard. Maybe just go to AR14.com and have Joe Biden send one directly to your house. I even heard no background check is needed.

If you are legit, I wish you luck. But you honestly waited too long. Hope you stocked up on toilet paper though.
  • LarryD23 likes this

#19 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3335 posts

Posted June 05 2020 - 03:07 PM

Just get yourself a Mini 14 and don't worry about neutering an AR, or a socom 16
  • only7rounds likes this

#20 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 642 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted June 05 2020 - 07:16 PM

Pin the mag through the receiver with a set screw. I don’t even have a mag release, so the carbine can’t receive a detachable mag, as it would simply fall out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users