Tanfoglio Witness (steel frame) or Jericho or Something else? - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Tanfoglio Witness (steel frame) or Jericho or Something else?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted April 08 2020 - 09:52 AM

Since I have time to kill, I've been looking at "next gun" - and the Tanfoglio Witness looks like a nice pistol.  Really I am pondering trading my Rock Island 1911 Tac II in and using some of the cash toward the Witness (but that's another story).

Anyway, anyone here have/shoot the Witness?  I like the all steel - for me makes it much more of a pleasure to shoot (possible becuase I shoot better with a heavy gun).  Bud's has it for $336 (but no stock), so it's not super fancy gun.   I have no plans of carrying it; purely a range gun.   I was holding out for a while for a Surplus Beretta 92f (figured it would be a fun "project" gun - I like to tinker), but the prices on them just went up and up so I forgot about it.  The Tanfoglio seems to be a "similar" priced option and I get a new gun with a safety system I like better (well, I like better than tradional CZ's anyway). 

Really just looking for opions from people who OWN these pistols (I can do my own web reading/youtube watching/pondering).  If you did one of those, "I got it and liked it, but then I got an xyz, and I never shot the Witness again," I would way rather hear about that story.

I have big hands/long fingers - when I hold most handguns my fingers go completely around the grip and end up pushing into my palm (annoying).  Interestingly, the gun that I do not have that problem with is the single stack 1911 - go figure.  If you have theWitness, or the Jericho, or some "CZ varient" and you ahve big hands, how do you find the grip?  

Thanks for the advice and opinions.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6264 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted April 08 2020 - 11:53 AM

Think about it, to be sure. I don't own one but have fired them. They are VERY different guns than your 1911. I find them very similar, in feel and function, to the Colt Double Eagle.

Your 1911:

Single action consistency, for all rounds,

45ACP, an effective round.

Witness:

Double action, first round, single action thereafter,

9mm (can be effective, in the right configuration), .38 super (can be effective, in the right configuration), 10mm (very effective but much more recoil and noise, than the 45ACP) or 40 short and weak.

If you decide to change, go 10mm.

Gary

#3 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted April 08 2020 - 08:00 PM

Not really going nuts over the changeable barrel/slide options.  I would stick with 9mm.  

For range purposes, can't I treat the Witness the same as the 1911 on first shot (e.g. bring the hammer back, so that first shot is single action)?

Mostly looking for reasonable cost, the mass steel provides, and decent sized so it is comfortable for me to shoot.  Of course accurate and reliable are "gotta haves".

I would consider a 22 (even cheaper to shoot and less recoil), but I have shot 22 pistol and while fun - it's obviously not like shooting anything center fired. 

I'm not a "caliber snob", really just more lazy and practical and cheap  (I run #8 birdshot in my home defense gun - everyone can PM me their hate mail, so we keep the thread uncluttered...).   

#4 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6264 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted April 09 2020 - 06:51 AM

Yes, you can cock the hammer, manually, for your first round, to have it function as a single action handgun, If all you want is a range gun. I may have misinterpreted your desire as also including a self-defense handgun, which is why I suggested the 10MM. I would not want to shoot 10MM, in quantity, as my primary range gun, either. 9MM is cheaper to shoot and can be an effective self-defense round.

Gary

#5 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted April 09 2020 - 08:36 PM

I have the Jericho 941 in Single action and double action (steel), and in DA in polymer. They shoot well, the steel guns behave better because of the extra mass. I swapped out my Double action's milsurp grips for the engraved walnut ones, gives it a bit more to grab (I also have big hands), and because they look a lot better, I just had to notch the one grip panel for the lanyard loop stud

#6 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 10 2020 - 03:38 AM

Why don't you try CZ75B?  I got mine almost new for 399 few weeks ago and it fits me like a glove plus it shoot flatter

#7 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted April 10 2020 - 11:59 AM

Why don't you try CZ75B?  I got mine almost new for 399 few weeks ago and it fits me like a glove plus it shoot flatter

Where? (and while I like the safety better on the Tanfoglio, that's just from reading, and the plan is for it to be a range gun, so safety fuctioning not as critical, so open to CZ)

Edited by JustPractical, April 10 2020 - 12:00 PM.

#8 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 30 2020 - 12:45 AM

Where? (and while I like the safety better on the Tanfoglio, that's just from reading, and the plan is for it to be a range gun, so safety fuctioning not as critical, so open to CZ)

Sorry for late reply but i got it from random Pawnshop on Armlist when i was randomly scrolling for revolver then spotted this CZ75B basically brand new but labeled as USED for 399 so i had to grab it Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users