What is the best hunting air rifle? - Other [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

What is the best hunting air rifle?

hunting air rifle

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sharkl

sharkl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 22 2020 - 04:51 AM

So if I'm to get a new rifle what would you all say it's the best air rifle for hunting anything from doves to rabbits ar a little bigger?
Let's stick to .22 cal.
And thinking of shoots over 50 yards

So I want to hear you're opinions and experience.Gamo-Whisper-Silent-Cat-Air-Rifle.jpg

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 TheKnot

TheKnot

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 183 posts
  • Locationlong island

Posted March 22 2020 - 05:20 AM

Airforce condor, power wheel has wide range and barrels are changeable from caliber to caliber .

#3 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2550 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted March 22 2020 - 11:17 AM

I have collected airguns for years and use them all if you are looking for a pump up I love the old Sheridan Blue Streak.

They are light and accurate i have a few with the "Steroid" package but 8 pumps on a regular Streak will dispatch  any small game

They are not .22 they are 5 mm and pellets are readily available The old Blue Streak is not being made but Benjamin Sheridan has the modern equivalent

#4 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted March 22 2020 - 03:22 PM

"Best" is a very generic term.

Almost any of the modern .22 break barrel or PCP air rifles today are just fine for hunting small game out to 35 yds.

Just don't rely on those ridiculous FPS claims. Find out what weight pellet they used and recalculate it with a 14 gr hunting pellet.

You need at least 10 FPE at 50 yds for a humane kill.

Break barrel springers are fine, but there is a technique to acquiring consistent accuracy especially at distance.

PCP's are easier to control for accuracy, but they are also more expensive.

If you want to hunt out to 50+ yds on a regular basis, then PCP is the way to go.

The Gamo you listed would be fine for what you want to do, but

I can tell you from experience, a 50 yd shot in a 1" kill zone takes lots of practice with a springer.

For a better recommendation. what is your budget?

• tom2009 and TheKnot like this

#5 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 22 2020 - 05:33 PM

If you no experience with spring powered just remember there's a learning curve with leaning how to shoot them the Gamo rifles are just OK. 

PCP rifles are easier to shoot but there are other things to get like air tanks 

#6 kouzman

kouzman

Respected Gunowner

• 178 posts
  • Locationnew york

Posted March 22 2020 - 07:52 PM

Benjamin marauder pop. It is an air rifle, probably it will run you in the 800 along with scope, rings, pump.

At 30 yards I shoot quarter size groups easily without much trying of a bipod. It loves the 18gr diabolo exact heavy. Super accurate.

I will day it is a PITA to fully pump to 3000psi. Prepare for a workout!
  • TheKnot likes this

#7 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.

• Club LIF Member
  • 6226 posts

Posted March 22 2020 - 10:56 PM

I will day it is a PITA to fully pump to 3000psi. Prepare for a workout!

Have you tried using a scuba tank?

#8 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted March 23 2020 - 05:16 PM

I get 20-25 shots out of a fill on my PCP.

I still have the scuba tank and gauges, but the pump is much more convenient though a work out for us old timers :)

If I haven't filled the pot by that time, it's time to go home anyway.

If you're interested, there's a new type of PCP for under $400 with an internal pump.

I gets a good review, but that's all I know about it.

https://hardairmagaz...iew-22-caliber/

• minuteman1970 likes this

#9 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• 544 posts

Posted March 23 2020 - 05:55 PM

I have a Benjamin Marauder PCP in .22, and it is very accurate as well as quiet due to the integral shroud. It's pricey to get into though ($350-$400), and you need to invest in an air source of one type or another.

I have come across more affordable high pressure compressors on Amazon for under $300, but have not sprung for one yet and use the Hill hand pump with my rifle.

#10 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted March 26 2020 - 08:26 AM

I have come across more affordable high pressure compressors on Amazon for under $300, but have not sprung for one yet and use the Hill hand pump with my rifle.

That's good to know.

I paid over $500 for the original Shoebox compressor, and while it worked OK, it was kind of Rube Goldbergish.

I got rid of it for that reason. $500 gets a lot of scuba re-fills :)

I might get one. They look better built. I might start shooting it more then.

#11 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 26 2020 - 01:56 PM

I have a Benjamin Marauder PCP in .22, and it is very accurate as well as quiet due to the integral shroud. It's pricey to get into though ($350-$400), and you need to invest in an air source of one type or another.

I have 80 cubic foot scuba tank and the fill adapter if you want for 50.00 the hydro on the tank is is good til 2021 since I have carbon fiber tank I don't need it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users