Question - Page 2 - Open Firearm Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Question

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24620 posts

Posted March 09 2020 - 04:51 PM

You have to play politics especially when working in a Police Department. As most know the administration is anti gun and will use certain words like Public safety etc.

I have heard them, direct from the PC to me, and when I said well, in FL, they issue the same unrestricted license in Miami that they do in Apalachicola, I got told "Well, when something happens in FL they go after the State, here, they go after us", to which I countered "Then it's just about you covering your ass then, nothing more, isn't it? It has nothing to do with "Public Safety", or anything else" Silence. Firemanvin was there, he heard it too

• boosti likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Milt Grunwald Esq.

Milt Grunwald Esq.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGarden City, New York

Posted July 31 2020 - 09:44 PM

i had such a situation a few years ago where a recently deceased WW2 Veteran had a German Walther PPK he brought back after the war as a souvenir.  After he died they found the gun in his safe deposit box.  The gun was surrendered to the local precinct, by a friend of the family with a pistol permit, with a copy of the death certificate and notice they were bringing it in.  The Executor of the Veteran's estate was later allowed to sell the gun [which was now vouchered in  the property bureau at headquarters ] to another person who had a valid pistol permit.  

#23 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted July 31 2020 - 11:18 PM

Actually, there is some partially correct info here.

The executor of an estate does have 15 days to legally dispose of a formerly legally possessed firearm, without fear of arrest.

HOWEVER, there  is ANOTHER provision in the Penal Law that allows the non criminal surrender of a non suspicious firearm.

Years ago I met my neighbor at an NCPD precinct (I was still active, he was afraid of getting stopped on the way). We turned the gun in, he went up to the squad and made a report, the gun was checked for stolen or wants, and he was able to sell the gun to a friend with a pistol license.

If you "find" a gun in your house, you can surrender it to the Police or Sheriff, and if it is not stolen or wanted you can get it back afterwards.

#24 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted July 31 2020 - 11:19 PM

But not in NYC LOL

#25 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11120 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 01 2020 - 04:37 AM

Actually, there is some partially correct info here.
The executor of an estate does have 15 days to legally dispose of a formerly legally possessed firearm, without fear of arrest.
HOWEVER, there  is ANOTHER provision in the Penal Law that allows the non criminal surrender of a non suspicious firearm.

Years ago I met my neighbor at an NCPD precinct (I was still active, he was afraid of getting stopped on the way). We turned the gun in, he went up to the squad and made a report, the gun was checked for stolen or wants, and he was able to sell the gun to a friend with a pistol license.

If you "find" a gun in your house, you can surrender it to the Police or Sheriff, and if it is not stolen or wanted you can get it back afterwards.

Yes, I found two revolvers in a home that I purchased. The Lieutenant said those revolvers will be destroyed as you do not own them. He was wrong, the property inside a home belongs to the owner on the deed. I would suggest calling the non emergency line to the local authorities and have them respond to the residence. It could become a debacle getting stopped with handguns without them being on a New York pistol license.

#26 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted August 01 2020 - 01:34 PM

In my neighbors case, he had bought the gun legally in Florida when he resided there, so he simply told them that. The amnesty provision in the PL exempts him from arrest for the possession up until the surrender.

#27 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11120 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 01 2020 - 02:33 PM

In my neighbors case, he had bought the gun legally in Florida when he resided there, so he simply told them that. The amnesty provision in the PL exempts him from arrest for the possession up until the surrender.

The neighbor transported the handgun from Florida to New York?
The penal law protects you buying a handgun out of state. Sounds like many Snowbirds are going to take that advice instead of shipping it to an FFL and keeping it on the books until the transfer.

#28 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24620 posts

Posted August 01 2020 - 03:48 PM

The penal law protects you buying a handgun out of state. Sounds like many Snowbirds are going to take that advice instead of shipping it to an FFL and keeping it on the books until the transfer.

Yeah, THAT may not go as intended.....

#29 only7rounds2

only7rounds2

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted August 02 2020 - 11:42 AM

Yes, he was a resident of Florida at the time and bought the gun legally and never got a permit here.

But the PL allows for a non suspicious surrender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users