Concealed carry at smithaven or Walt Whitman mall - Page 2 - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Concealed carry at smithaven or Walt Whitman mall

concealed carry

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 01 2020 - 09:40 PM

Admittedly I retired in 2011 but I was in and out of the city public housing projects (Queens, Da Bronx and Crooklyn) for years, alone and prohibited from carrying, doing national security background investigations.   Quick wits and mouth and head on a swivel.   If the jackals come they don't come at you with empty hands or alone and its false bravado thinking otherwise.  I really don't care if reciprocity comes or not.  For that matter, I will simply not stop in shit towns like CI, North Amityville, Roosevelt, parts of many others, etc., and yes, not the Green Acres Mall or Jamaica East as its known now either.  Nothing I can do when some mental defective goes into Walt Whitman with a bump stock and body armor anyway.

• Mr. Shotgun and rlitman like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• 1375 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted March 02 2020 - 07:23 AM

Nothing I can do when some mental defective goes into Walt Whitman with a bump stock and body armor anyway.

Yes, it may be difficult, but at least you'd have a better chance of getting thru the situation if you are armed.

Not saying to take on directly , but at least if your trapped, a better chance

When I was working , we did train for mutli shots for body armor... two to center mass, one to head.

That still is part of my shooting practice.

If you can, it's better to be a good witness at times

#23 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 02 2020 - 07:48 AM

Disagree. If you are a retired LEO and packing they can ask you to leave. Assuming you comply, they have NO grounds to detain you or ask your name. They could call 911 to report a man with a gun, but when stopped the dispo is PROPER ID. There is simply no way they get to issue you a trespass, however, if they see you there again they could indeed have you arrested.
The general principle is that in a place open to the public such as a store or mall, there is a presumed license to be on the premises.
Once they revoke that license, you can not return or you are subject to arrest.
The things you speak of are after a person is caught stealing. That gives them a right to detain and identify you, and AFAIK if you do not cooperate, they call the PD and have you arrested for petit larceny. So most people cooperate and sign the trespass.
But this is different. You have broken no laws.

Retired Police, Retired Peace and Full Carry are civilians. Many of these stores allow an active Law Enforcement Officer to carry concealed. You can’t play the no ID part when packing a pistol and caught inside a private business or public government. Keep it concealed and there shouldn’t be a problem.

#24 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• 3249 posts

Posted March 02 2020 - 09:36 AM

Not everyone can be a sheepdog, society has its sheep too. For those who have the means to defend themselves but don't believe they could drop the hammer or have the ability to safely respond to an active shooter event, it is fine to admit your limitations. My suggestion would be to take some classes and get the training needed to be able to protect the flock. If not, just don't carry.

#25 only7rounds

only7rounds

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 02 2020 - 02:11 PM

Retired Police, Retired Peace and Full Carry are civilians. Many of these stores allow an active Law Enforcement Officer to carry concealed. You can’t play the no ID part when packing a pistol and caught inside a private business or public government. Keep it concealed and there shouldn’t be a problem.

Again they can only ask you to leave.

New York has no statute that criminalizes legal carry in a posted private premises.

#26 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 02 2020 - 02:58 PM

Again they can only ask you to leave.
New York has no statute that criminalizes legal carry in a posted private premises.

Having an active trespass if the Police arrive will certainly be an affidavit on file for One Year if you do not leave. You are correct about a registered owner of a handgun not being charged criminally for the firearm. You can’t be charged even if the civilian was carrying out of restrictions. The county of issuance could suspend the license holder.

#27 only7rounds

only7rounds

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 02 2020 - 03:56 PM

Having an active trespass if the Police arrive will certainly be an affidavit on file for One Year if you do not leave. You are correct about a registered owner of a handgun not being charged criminally for the firearm. You can’t be charged even if the civilian was carrying out of restrictions. The county of issuance could suspend the license holder.

You and I would not be suspended.

#28 only7rounds

only7rounds

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 02 2020 - 03:59 PM

You and I would not be suspended.

One other thing...

While the malls "prohibit" weapons, they have armored car guards inside every day, and a number of the retailers hire armed guards (been there done that). So the "prohibition" is far from absolute.

When the retired LEO grabbed the robber at the watch store, and a shot was fired, he did not get a trespass.

#29 only7rounds

only7rounds

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 02 2020 - 04:01 PM

My point is that while they can detain shoplifters, they can not detain a legally armed patron. That is nothing but a lawsuit about to happen. They just tell you to leave.

The multiplex at Green Acres had this policy, and off duty cops and peace officers were routinely denied admission. They were NCPD only. No one got arrested or trespassed, they just left.

#30 Roufus

Roufus

Respected Gunowner

• 221 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty.

Posted March 02 2020 - 08:54 PM

My point is that while they can detain shoplifters, they can not detain a legally armed patron. That is nothing but a lawsuit about to happen. They just tell you to leave.

The multiplex at Green Acres had this policy, and off duty cops and peace officers were routinely denied admission. They were NCPD only. No one got arrested or trespassed, they just left.

So....Let me get this right....I should shave half my head and cover it with tattoo's. Put an earing through both lips and ears and eyebrows. Have f--- y--- on my knuckles and a death to Whittie tat on my forehead and I'm cool. But a retired LEO shouldn't enter a mall if he has his gun. Hummm. OK I get it.

#31 Stainless45

Stainless45

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 589 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted March 02 2020 - 09:35 PM

Unconstitutional laws are not laws at all.  Like the other fella said- keep it concealed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: concealed carry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users