on permit holder at range - Page 2 - Suffolk County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

on permit holder at range

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2170 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted February 25 2020 - 05:25 PM

Apparently, even if a couple, each with permits, wants to share a pistol by having it registered on each of their permit cards, NCPD won't allow it to be done. So they each have to buy their own pistol (another addt'l expense on top of $280 per permit) or go to Mineola each time and pay $10 to move it from one card to another just so the other half can shoot it. This is "common sense" gun safety (ahem people control)...So ridiculous!!!

I think other counties upstate do allow couples and family members to share a pistol on their cards. 

They can share it as much as they like.  Just not at the Nassau range with it's asinine no-sharing rules.  Pick ANY other range.

• NYC_Under_Dictatorship likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 BUGZ

BUGZ

Sharp Shooter!

• 448 posts
  • LocationEX--Long Islander

Posted February 25 2020 - 06:40 PM

A quick fix move the hell out of NY.

• gcloss, Tom Mac, Lou G and 1 other like this

#23 gcloss

gcloss

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 736 posts
  • LocationEx-New Yorker now living in Peachtree City GA

Posted February 25 2020 - 08:28 PM

A quick fix move the hell out of NY.

Yup, moved out of Nassau County 2-1/2 years ago to Georgia. No more BS of the NCPD and their stupid rules. I got my NCPD pistol permit back in 1980 and suffered through the process until I moved. The whole NCPD pistol registration system may someday be used for confiscation. Down here in Georgia, you only need a Georgia driver’s license, complete a 4473, pay and go home with your pistol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Lou G and NYC_Under_Dictatorship like this

#24 Moosehead

Moosehead

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNorth Shore Long Island

Posted September 06 2020 - 10:04 AM

You know....I support the NRA but I am inclined not to any more because they are seemingly doing nothing to challenge the law. For example I wanted to buy my wife a .22 with a thumbhole stock to help her shoot more accurately.  No go. I have Pistols which had to have compensators welded on becsuse they cannot be threaded.  And how many weapons come with a magazine forward of the trigger. This is plain insane. The NRA is not supporting competitive shooters in NY

Edited by Moosehead, September 06 2020 - 10:05 AM.

• Nordon likes this

#25 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7006 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 06 2020 - 12:18 PM

You know....I support the NRA but I am inclined not to any more because they are seemingly doing nothing to challenge the law. For example I wanted to buy my wife a .22 with a thumbhole stock to help her shoot more accurately. No go. I have Pistols which had to have compensators welded on becsuse they cannot be threaded. And how many weapons come with a magazine forward of the trigger. This is plain insane. The NRA is not supporting competitive shooters in NY

So, you blame the NRA for NYS's insane, unconstitutional gun laws?
  • grifhunter likes this

#26 Moosehead

Moosehead

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 56 posts

Posted September 06 2020 - 08:20 PM

The short answer to your post is No, I don't blame the NRA for NYS's insane, unconstitutional gun laws, Blame falls upon the state for that.

I blame the NRA for not attacking certain points of the law. They see NYS as a lost cause and have mostly abandoned efforts at overturning aspects of the law which may be unconstitutional. Here's my take on the law, having worked with lawyers for over 40 years. The NY Law attempts to set forth a definition of "assault weapon".  This is a very dangerous for gun owners. Once a law like this is passed the definition of "Assault can always be amended and trust me, that's on their agenda. Little by little they can amend the law to include peashooters (sarcasm intended)  but they can amend and they will. All they need is a crack in the door. The NRA never as far as I know litigated to modify the law and make it finite so it could not be amended, nor did they step in to protect the target shooters for their trade. (threaded barrel, thumbhole stocks and more.) You must understand that the people who wrote this know nothing about weapons and their use, nor did they bother to consult anyone. Even to the point of this law applying to 22 cal which it should not.

The NRA should be creating their own cracks in the door by litigating certain aspects so that in the future those "cracks" can be exploited.

• TJ Ironhorse and BUGZ like this

#27 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7892 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted September 08 2020 - 01:30 AM

The short answer to your post is No, I don't blame the NRA for NYS's insane, unconstitutional gun laws, Blame falls upon the state for that.

I blame the NRA for not attacking certain points of the law. They see NYS as a lost cause and have mostly abandoned efforts at overturning aspects of the law which may be unconstitutional. Here's my take on the law, having worked with lawyers for over 40 years. The NY Law attempts to set forth a definition of "assault weapon".  This is a very dangerous for gun owners. Once a law like this is passed the definition of "Assault can always be amended and trust me, that's on their agenda. Little by little they can amend the law to include peashooters (sarcasm intended)  but they can amend and they will. All they need is a crack in the door. The NRA never as far as I know litigated to modify the law and make it finite so it could not be amended, nor did they step in to protect the target shooters for their trade. (threaded barrel, thumbhole stocks and more.) You must understand that the people who wrote this know nothing about weapons and their use, nor did they bother to consult anyone. Even to the point of this law applying to 22 cal which it should not.

The NRA should be creating their own cracks in the door by litigating certain aspects so that in the future those "cracks" can be exploited.

The NRA lawyers working through their affiliate, the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association litigated the NY SAFE Act up through every level of the courts including appeals.  They lost on everything except the 7 round limit, which was judicially erased.   They challenged every aspect of it.    https://www.democrat...uling/74224108/

The SCOTUS refused to grant certiorari.  There is nothing left to do but wait for the SCOTUS to take on their next gun case.

Anybody interested in making a legal challenge about the SAFE Act or the pistol licensing process:  before you go off libeling the NRA, contact the NYSRPA or the NRA Legal Defense Fund and say you want to be a plaintiff to challenge a law or rule that has harmed you.    Any legal challenge needs a human person to be the complainant.      You as an individual can also privately retain a civil rights lawyer and ask them to contact the various pro gun organizations for support.   

#28 BUGZ

BUGZ

Sharp Shooter!

• 448 posts
  • LocationEX--Long Islander

Posted September 08 2020 - 06:55 AM

I don't blame the NRA for NYS's insane, unconstitutional gun laws but they sure are not helping you New Yorkers.

#29 rezelution

rezelution

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted September 08 2020 - 08:34 AM

if you have a handgun premise license can you go to ranges outside of ny to shoot? transport the handgun unloaded in locked container directly to range? Ranges in PA, CT or NJ?

#30 Moosehead

Moosehead

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 56 posts

Posted September 08 2020 - 09:48 AM

The NRA lawyers working through their affiliate, the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association litigated the NY SAFE Act up through every level of the courts including appeals.  They lost on everything except the 7 round limit, which was judicially erased.   They challenged every aspect of it.    https://www.democrat...uling/74224108/

The SCOTUS refused to grant certiorari.  There is nothing left to do but wait for the SCOTUS to take on their next gun case.

Anybody interested in making a legal challenge about the SAFE Act or the pistol licensing process:  before you go off libeling the NRA, contact the NYSRPA or the NRA Legal Defense Fund and say you want to be a plaintiff to challenge a law or rule that has harmed you.    Any legal challenge needs a human person to be the complainant.      You as an individual can also privately retain a civil rights lawyer and ask them to contact the various pro gun organizations for support.   

I completely understand, but they went after the whole law. I was talking about opening a crack in the door. They said the law was unconstitutional, what they should have done was attacked various portions of the law to weaken it. The magazine issue was good but they could have gone after calibers individually, magazine location individually and other aspects. I have seen too many court decisions where they threw the baby out with the bath water and this was what they did. Counsel has to gnaw at small bits of the legislation, to render it meaningless, not the whole thing like they did. The lawyers that I worked with always knew the law, but I would bet that these did not understand the nuances of pieces of the legislation. In my business, lawyers learned as they went along and never had an expertise in anything but he law. They often did not know how it applied to certain circumstances. I will look up the firms that were used and see who their experts were and who they used to testify. This needs to be delved into more deeply.

#31 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6225 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted September 08 2020 - 12:25 PM

if you have a handgun premise license can you go to ranges outside of ny to shoot? transport the handgun unloaded in locked container directly to range? Ranges in PA, CT or NJ?

There are two ways to do that, legally:

1) if you attend a sanctioned match, with a copy of the match schedule and the handgun(s) and/or ammo you bring are not on that other state's illegal-to-possess list or

2) you have a non-resident handgun license, in those other states and the handgun(s) and/or ammo you bring are not on that other state's illegal-to-possess list.

Gary

Edited by Gary_Hungerford, September 08 2020 - 12:26 PM.

#32 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7892 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted September 08 2020 - 12:46 PM

I completely understand, but they went after the whole law. I was talking about opening a crack in the door. They said the law was unconstitutional, what they should have done was attacked various portions of the law to weaken it. The magazine issue was good but they could have gone after calibers individually, magazine location individually and other aspects. I have seen too many court decisions where they threw the baby out with the bath water and this was what they did. Counsel has to gnaw at small bits of the legislation, to render it meaningless, not the whole thing like they did. The lawyers that I worked with always knew the law, but I would bet that these did not understand the nuances of pieces of the legislation. In my business, lawyers learned as they went along and never had an expertise in anything but he law. They often did not know how it applied to certain circumstances. I will look up the firms that were used and see who their experts were and who they used to testify. This needs to be delved into more deeply.

No, they went after the separate parts of SAFE that applied to individualized things like muzzle brakes, grips, stock configuration, mag capacity, etc.   Read the trial court decisions all the way up through the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals. 

NY courts are mostly deferential to whatever the state wants on guns.  Bottom line is it will take the SCOTUS to straighten this NY mess out.The NRA in NY has means to effect this.  Their focus is rightly in swing states.

Trump's re-election is the only chance, as he can seat the fifth pro 2nd Amendment justice.  Otherwise, Heller and the 2nd Amendment will be neutered here and eventually nationally in whatever free state one escapes to. 

There are two ways to do that, legally:

1) if you attend a sanctioned match, with a copy of the match schedule and the handgun(s) and/or ammo you bring are not on that other state's illegal-to-possess list or

2) you have a non-resident handgun license, in those other states and the handgun(s) and/or ammo you bring are not on that other state's illegal-to-possess list.

Gary

Not sure this is accurate.    Just before the SCOTUS hearing on the issue Cuomo and NYC, backed off the prohibition on taking pistols outside your domicile or the state.   You may travel with your firearm between your home and any place in the other state the firearm is lawful for possession and use.    You must travel with the pistol unloaded (rounds out of magazine) and contained in a latched container in the rear of your vehicle.    If you have an out of state carry license, you can carry in that state.  

Of course, anyone who wants legal advice should consult with their own attorney. 

Edited by grifhunter, September 08 2020 - 12:57 PM.

#33 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4438 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted September 08 2020 - 02:41 PM

I know this question has likely been asked before but I searched and couldn't find it. Can a pistol permit holder go to a range with a friend who is not a permit holder and allow him to shoot the permit holders pistol? If not, why not?

Sorry for the likely repetition.

No permittee, no touchy da gun!

• CaptainMitchell likes this

#34 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 627 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted September 08 2020 - 05:28 PM

They can share it as much as they like.  Just not at the Nassau range with it's asinine no-sharing rules.  Pick ANY other range.

I’ve ‘shared’ my some buddies. Simply don’t move the guns between stalls. The shooters can move...just leave the guns at the stations. I’ve done this several times w the RSO watching. He didn’t care one bit.

#35 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 627 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted September 08 2020 - 05:41 PM

I know this question has likely been asked before but I searched and couldn't find it. Can a pistol permit holder go to a range with a friend who is not a permit holder and allow him to shoot the permit holders pistol? If not, why not?
Sorry for the likely repetition.

I guess it would be covered here:
https://www.nysenate...ws/PEN/P3TPA265

#36 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.

• Club LIF Member
  • 6236 posts

Posted September 08 2020 - 08:49 PM

No, because New Yorkistan sucks and everyone is a criminal in the eyes of the Democrats that are steering the ship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users