Suffolk county permit with history of antidepressants - Suffolk County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Suffolk county permit with history of antidepressants

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Teecee

Teecee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted February 17 2020 - 02:16 AM

Hi all. I am new here. I am currently filling out my application for a sportsman permit in Suffolk county. I've come to the section where is asks about mental illness. In the past I have be perscribed Lexapro for depression. Can they actually access my medical records? Would being on an antidepressant in the past affect my chances of getting a permit? Should I be honest about it, or should I just say no? Looking for some input from people who have been in my situation. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 TheKnot

TheKnot

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 195 posts
  • Locationlong island

Posted February 17 2020 - 04:59 AM

Dont lie! they look deep
  • Mr. Shotgun and LarryD23 like this

#3 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2305 posts

Posted February 17 2020 - 06:51 AM

If not denied they will ask for a letter from your Dr..

Good luck getting your Dr. to put his ass on the line and say he is ok with you owning a handgun..

Edited by Shotgun682, February 17 2020 - 07:00 AM.

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

#4 BUDSCon

BUDSCon

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 120 posts

Posted February 17 2020 - 08:07 AM

Most Dr.s should not have an issue granting a 'stating: " ...at this time,

I have no clinical reason that this patient should not be licensed to own and

maintain a firearm.".................

the real issue is why won't the PD give statistics on how many officers carry

a weapon and are also receiving $ from the VA for diagnosis and treatment

for PTSD as a Military Veteran..................

• grifhunter, Mr. Shotgun and Scrappy.NY like this

#5 Teecee

Teecee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted February 17 2020 - 08:09 AM

My issue is this was over 3 years ago, and I'm pretty sure that the doctor has now retired since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25499 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted February 17 2020 - 08:24 AM

Remember what State you live in. If they can find a way to screw you they will. 

• Mr. Shotgun, rvc-ny and TheKnot like this

#7 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4880 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted February 17 2020 - 08:40 AM

Three years isn't that long.   The lack of your doctor's availability won't help either.  ( I did background investigations for national security for most of my 35 years in the gubmint.)   Although Suffolk's application is cheap compared to Nassau and you wouldn't be out that much $, a denial will adversely affect a future application.   But leaving my "Debbie Downer" hat aside, I would go and speak to someone at the PLB and maybe even a 2A attorney before applying.

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

#8 firemanvin

firemanvin

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 541 posts

Posted February 18 2020 - 03:21 PM

I though HIPAA laws disallow access to medical records without authorization?  Wouldn't it be illegal for the PLB to access those records?

#9 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2163 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted February 18 2020 - 04:17 PM

I though HIPAA laws disallow access to medical records without authorization?  Wouldn't it be illegal for the PLB to access those records?

No, because the application requires consent to query your mental health records.

• pequa1 likes this

#10 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6493 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted February 18 2020 - 04:51 PM

They cannot access your medical records until you and your doctor give them permission to do so, by law, only medical professionals have access to your medical records, until you give explicit permission to do so.

Edited by Nordon, February 18 2020 - 04:54 PM.

#11 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4880 posts

Posted February 19 2020 - 01:54 PM

This is page 38 or 30 of the NCPD pistol licensee handbook:

E. CHANGE IN HEALTH REQUIRING PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION If at any time during your licensing term you have a change in the condition of your health whereby a licensed physician prescribes medication for treatment that is a ‘Scheduled Controlled Substance’, you must contact the Pistol License Section immediately. This includes any medications of this type to treat physical or mental ailments. A letter from your attending physician along with a letter from licensee will be required explaining reasons and terms for treatment along with the name of the medication(s) prescribed. If you are unsure whether or not your medication needs to be reported, contact Pistol License Section and inquire.

then there is this:

https://www.govinfos...d-checks-a-8780

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#12 Lotust1

Lotust1

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 53 posts
  • Locationsuffolk county

Posted May 10 2020 - 06:12 AM

Im glad I read this post.  I had 2 spinal fusions in my life.  The first in 2011.  I was really bummed out about being so useless and not able to work as a carpenter.   I was on so many meds for years.( I work for Suffolk County and have awesome insurance )  I got myself off all meds. I swear some doctors love to throw meds at people.    I told the doctors I don't want this crap any more.   But I was on them for many many years.   I really feel this will work against me now.  It silly because I own many other guns and would never use them to hurt myself or anyone else.   I was never a threat to myself or anyone else.  My doctor and I sometimes use to shot the shit and talk about what rifles we had and would want to own one day.  So obviously he would write me a letter in my defense.   But I fear this will just make this whole process 10X harder.  Thanks to the OP for posting this.  I didn't even think about medications being a factor.   

• a7vette2 likes this

#13 Roufus

Roufus

Respected Gunowner

• 209 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty.

Posted May 10 2020 - 12:31 PM

Probably 80% of the population on Nas and Suf are on some meds. alcohol, or a combo thereof . Fess up comrade the re-education camp isn't that bad. 

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#14 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4880 posts

Posted May 10 2020 - 05:48 PM

Im glad I read this post.  I had 2 spinal fusions in my life.  The first in 2011.  I was really bummed out about being so useless and not able to work as a carpenter.   I was on so many meds for years.( I work for Suffolk County and have awesome insurance )  I got myself off all meds. I swear some doctors love to throw meds at people.    I told the doctors I don't want this crap any more.   But I was on them for many many years.   I really feel this will work against me now.  It silly because I own many other guns and would never use them to hurt myself or anyone else.   I was never a threat to myself or anyone else.  My doctor and I sometimes use to shot the shit and talk about what rifles we had and would want to own one day.  So obviously he would write me a letter in my defense.   But I fear this will just make this whole process 10X harder.  Thanks to the OP for posting this.  I didn't even think about medications being a factor.   

Painkillers for two back surgeries are a different situation.   I will not say a different "issue" as I do not believe in your case they would be.   At least when I was doing national security background investigations they wouldn't be.

#15 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 163 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 10 2020 - 07:00 PM

You might want to see a new doctor to get a new assessment done.  This way you can get a write up from a doctor explaining your situation.  

#16 only7rounds

only7rounds

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 10 2020 - 08:07 PM

Delete this. It can only hurt you

#17 sparks25

sparks25

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2322 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 10 2020 - 08:31 PM

Nassau county does not care why you have the meds. They will use any trick they can, legal or otherwise, to deny your rights.
I was prescribed diazepam (Valium) and Percocet after an ambulance ride for back spasms that I could not stand up or move my legs.
Went for a PL renewal and listed the meds. They wanted a letter from the doctor. He wrote a letter explaining that it was prescribed for a back injury, a short term prescription 2 years prior and I was no longer on the medicine.
PLB rejected it saying he had to include that He had no reservations and I was OK to own a firearm.
As an orthopaedic surgeon he refused, saying it is not in his training or authority.
I had to get a different doctor to write the letter they finally accepted after some discussion.
The ortho said he filed an ethics complaint against NCPD for officially requesting him to commit an ethics violation.
Never heard any more about it.

#18 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 163 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 10 2020 - 10:11 PM

That is an absurd question to ask and I'm surprised no one has challenged them in court.   Basically the way they phrased the question:

Do you now or have you ever tried, used, possessed or sold marijuana or its derivatives, narcotics, controlled substances, tranquilizers, anti-anxiety, anti-depression, or anti-psychotic medications?

If yes and prescribed by a doctor, provide the doctor's name, address, and phone number.

I think it's fair to say that the answer is Yes for everybody unless you have never been to the doctor and never been sick or had an injury.  Antibiotics or any prescription for that matter is a controlled substance.  Likewise, if you ever had cough syrup or acetaminophen with codeine, etc. etc.

I doubt they are checking your medical records at every doctor you have ever been too with respect to that kind of stuff.  Clearly the intent is they want to make sure your not a drug addict or mentally impaired.  

#19 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 163 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 10 2020 - 10:43 PM

Just for kicks I checked out the Broom county application and they don't ask that absurdly worded question.

http://www.gobroomec...olPermitApp.pdf

#20 only7rounds

only7rounds

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 10 2020 - 11:24 PM

That is an absurd question to ask and I'm surprised no one has challenged them in court.   Basically the way they phrased the question:

Do you now or have you ever tried, used, possessed or sold marijuana or its derivatives, narcotics, controlled substances, tranquilizers, anti-anxiety, anti-depression, or anti-psychotic medications?

If yes and prescribed by a doctor, provide the doctor's name, address, and phone number.

I think it's fair to say that the answer is Yes for everybody unless you have never been to the doctor and never been sick or had an injury.  Antibiotics or any prescription for that matter is a controlled substance.  Likewise, if you ever had cough syrup or acetaminophen with codeine, etc. etc.

I doubt they are checking your medical records at every doctor you have ever been too with respect to that kind of stuff.  Clearly the intent is they want to make sure your not a drug addict or mentally impaired.  

Antibiotics are NOT a controlled substance. Only drugs that are listed on a schedule are controlled substances.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users