My next handgun - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

My next handgun

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 24 2020 - 01:15 PM

Mates,

I presently have a M&P 2.0, Springfield Hellcat and a CZ 75D. I am looking for THE next one!

The 1911 is a thought, but I want to stay with 9mm and I know that is sort of a square peg, round hole situation. Also, you cannot look for a 1911 without finding an article about how they are not reliable as compared to modern 9mm handguns.

I was going to get a shiny competition pistol, but I have no use for 40oz of gun. I am a range and home defense guy and intend to stay that way

Any suggestions for my next addition are greatly appreciated!!!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 24 2020 - 01:17 PM

I have a Kimber Target II in 9mm. Accurate and very reliable.
  • RVA likes this

#3 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 24 2020 - 01:28 PM

I have a Kimber Target II in 9mm. Accurate and very reliable.

Thanks! The Kimber 1911 selection was very enticing!

#4 MRR

MRR

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 474 posts

Posted January 24 2020 - 01:32 PM

Agree with the 1911. Can't go wrong with a classic. You can get them in 9mm of course. And as for reliability generally very reliable. Have Kimber (albeit a .45) CDP II that is dead reliable but also have an Eclipse in .45 that has given me problems. Of course there is always another classic in the form of a revolver. Something different. And yes you can get them in a 9mm too though not sure about the reliability. 

Reconsider competition. It's fun and you learn all sorts of things about yourself and how the gun works in a stressful situation. You can also use the handguns you have now and don't need anything specialized. 

• RVA likes this

#5 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 24 2020 - 01:41 PM

Agree with the 1911. Can't go wrong with a classic. You can get them in 9mm of course. And as for reliability generally very reliable. Have Kimber (albeit a .45) CDP II that is dead reliable but also have an Eclipse in .45 that has given me problems. Of course there is always another classic in the form of a revolver. Something different. And yes you can get them in a 9mm too though not sure about the reliability. 

Reconsider competition. It's fun and you learn all sorts of things about yourself and how the gun works in a stressful situation. You can also use the handguns you have now and don't need anything specialized. 

Thanks. Competition sounds like fun with good people. Unfortunately, a 7 day per week work schedule leaves little time. Casual target shooting gives me much needed stress relief..except when I miss....then not as much!!

Kimber 1911 - 9mm is on the table! Many offerings to consider, but I like the idea of my first stainless steel gun

#6 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• 3251 posts

Posted January 24 2020 - 09:15 PM

Home Defense:   Glock 43X with TLR6 wml.  Also great for CCW. 10 round magazine or if you live in a free state, shield arms is making a 15 round magazine that fits flush.

• RVA likes this

#7 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 25 2020 - 07:03 AM

Why get more of the same? Branch out and go with a 1911 or a revolver. They are fantastic to shoot. Also, if worried about 1911 reliability, why would that default to home defense weapon? You have others that would work just fine in HD situation.

I have a S&W eseries 1911, which has an external extractor. It hasn’t malfunctioned at the range in over a year of ownership. But if HD situation, I’m still grabbing my .357 686 revolver.
  • gcloss and RVA like this

#8 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 25 2020 - 08:33 AM

I went to the gun store yesterday and handled a bunch of 1911s. Rock Island, Kimber, Springfield, Sig and Ruger. The Kimbers felt best to me (in the store, FWIW), but they were all nice. I am still a new shooter, so bear with me on this, but what bothered me the most was the manual saftey. I kept engaging it unintentionally. That can be solved with training of course, but I would prefer if it were not there, especially since you have a grip saftey. I am sure someone will school me on this, and an education is always welcome.

#9 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25766 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted January 25 2020 - 02:17 PM

Attached File  GLPG1950203T-1.jpg   19.47KB   2 downloads

• only7rounds and RVA like this

#10 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 25 2020 - 03:02 PM

attachicon.gifGLPG1950203T-1.jpg

No threaded barrels on semi automatic pistols with a detachable magazine as per Safe Act.
  • TJ Ironhorse and RVA like this

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 25 2020 - 03:17 PM

I went to the gun store yesterday and handled a bunch of 1911s. Rock Island, Kimber, Springfield, Sig and Ruger. The Kimbers felt best to me (in the store, FWIW), but they were all nice. I am still a new shooter, so bear with me on this, but what bothered me the most was the manual saftey. I kept engaging it unintentionally. That can be solved with training of course, but I would prefer if it were not there, especially since you have a grip saftey. I am sure someone will school me on this, and an education is always welcome.

Just like inexperienced shooters who wrap their thumbs behind the slide of a semi automatic pistol or place fingers along the portion of the front cylinder of a revolver. Many shooters will engage the slide release of a semi automatic pistol.
When I went shopping for a stainless 1911, the Kimber did feel like the better made pistol.
  • RVA likes this

#12 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25766 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted January 25 2020 - 04:30 PM

No threaded barrels on semi automatic pistols with a detachable magazine as per Safe Act.

I thought some out of state forum members would be interested.

• gcloss likes this

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 25 2020 - 05:43 PM

I thought some out of state forum members would be interested.

Trump 2020!
  • gcloss likes this

#14 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted January 25 2020 - 07:32 PM

I just recently purchased this Colt 1911 in .45 ACP mainly for the collector aspect of it  - screw it I'll probably shoot and enjoy it anyway 

https://www.colt.com...1911-black-army

Attached Files

Edited by Mr. Shotgun, January 25 2020 - 07:32 PM.

• RVA likes this

#15 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 26 2020 - 08:15 AM

I just recently purchased this Colt 1911 in .45 ACP mainly for the collector aspect of it  - screw it I'll probably shoot and enjoy it anyway 

https://www.colt.com...1911-black-army

Very nice! 1911s are quite handsome guns, even in a basic form.
  • Mr. Shotgun likes this

#16 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 26 2020 - 08:19 AM

Would anyone suggest a big old heavy competition gun? I do like the Beretta 92x Performace

http://www.beretta.c...2x-performance/

And the Sig P320 legion

https://www.sigsauer...ive-legion.html

#17 MRR

MRR

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 474 posts

Posted January 26 2020 - 03:38 PM

Hey nice to bump into you today at Mitchell field. You said you're a new shooter but you did pretty well with your targets well downrange and hitting them too with iron sights..... and me with my red dot on the pistol barely making it!! Anyhoo go for a 1911 can't go wrong. Eventually though your collection will expand to just about whatever strikes your fancy. It's an expensive hobby!!

• RVA likes this

#18 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 26 2020 - 05:52 PM

Hey nice to bump into you today at Mitchell field. You said you're a new shooter but you did pretty well with your targets well downrange and hitting them too with iron sights..... and me with my red dot on the pistol barely making it!! Anyhoo go for a 1911 can't go wrong. Eventually though your collection will expand to just about whatever strikes your fancy. It's an expensive hobby!!

Great meeting you too!! Thanks for the advice. That is a sweet Canik you had. The red dot really decks it out!

#19 Roufus

Roufus

Respected Gunowner

• 221 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty.

Posted January 26 2020 - 08:26 PM

No safety switch, accurate, super dependable??? Hummm… Its spelled GLOCK. IMHO

• only7rounds and RVA like this

#20 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted January 28 2020 - 03:02 PM

Rock Island 1911 Tactical.  A LOT of gun (as in a good bit of gravity to it), so a pleasure to shoot.  I'm super practical, so was hesitant to have yet another caliber to keep on hand, but it is not  a huge problem.  For me the 45ACP is purely a range gun - way too heavy for a lazy person like me to carry hunting, and too big to carry IWB.  Fun gun for range, and I only keep enough ammo so I don't have to shop for it often.   

Yeah, you can stack 5.56 and 9 high and deep for when the zombies come; but you don't need to keep all your ammo in that much of a supply.  My wife was looking at a 380.  She normally has zero interest in shooting, but I guess the 380 pistol looked small and manageable (the slide is a pleasure to work - espcially if you are used to a Shield).  I was thinking, "Great...another thing to stock" but really she wouldn't be burning through more than 100-150 rounds at a time, so I settled on "If I get the pistol, I'll just get 1000 rounds of ammo and then not think about it for a while"

I have seen no reliabilty issues with the 1911.  Yes, if you are used to breaking down a Glock, you will find the 1911 is a bit of a pain to work on.  But it's something to play with - something different to bring and shoot.  

• RVA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users