Hey all... Time for a new .22 Pistola... Ruger MK..... - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Hey all... Time for a new .22 Pistola... Ruger MK.....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gaijin

Gaijin

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 244 posts
  • LocationLong I$land

Posted January 14 2020 - 01:07 AM

I've always  wanted one of those  Ruger MK... .22  Strictly  for target shooting.. not so much  for hunting or anything..  Got some space in the "vault" (dont like using the "SAFE" word around here).

My Question is it better  to  purchase a "competition" model or get a non competition  model and  then build it up?  

Thanks

• gcloss likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24728 posts

Posted January 14 2020 - 07:03 AM

Not sure. I bought the Mk IV 45 Lite for my wife, and the MK IV 45 Target for myself. The target model I got has oversize grips, which fit my hands, but might not work for everyone. We used stock target models at the World Scout Jamboree last summer, and they did very well. Me? I'd buy the target model (Has the heavy barrel)  and add what I wanted. If you happen to be in the Sunshine state come on by and you can shoot both

• gcloss and rlitman like this

#3 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 716 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted January 14 2020 - 09:19 PM

I bought the competition model because of the longer sight radius, which makes the gun more accurate. The hunter model has a very different rear sight, which is less desirable for target shooting, IMO.

If you plan to use a red-dot, then simply just get the 5 inch model and add a plate/rail for a red-dot. I also shoot a MK II with a red-dot and fond it to be as accurate as the MK IV. I would recommend getting the volquartsen trigger upgrade--it brings the gun from 4 pounds to a crisp 1.5-2.0 pounds.

I also found the target grips to be okay--but a set of Altamont target grips are better, IMO.

• NRATC53 likes this

#4 Gaijin

Gaijin

Respected Gunowner

• 244 posts
  • LocationLong I$land

Posted January 15 2020 - 12:40 AM

Good People,

Thanks for the replies.  I had the chance to handle  most of the lineup  for size today.    I think i am  sold on the Competition  model with the " slab sided barrel"  This will not be a gun used for hunting- although i think i could if i wanted to.

This is going to be a  Range piece.  I've always wanted one of these..  so now is the time.  I've heard  that  making "race guns" out of these are  fairly common- I think i'll shoot it first  to see how i like it..  I might not have to do anything  to it at all...  yeah sure....

I don't know anyone  who has one of these   who hasn't  at least  changed the grips,trigger, and or sights.  I still have a wee bit of research  to do and   then i'll make the purchase... in about a week or so.  I understand that supersonic  ammo is  the best bet  for these?

I'm not in the Sunshine state  but thanks for the offer!!  just send up the sunshine and we will call it good!!     The runner up  was indeed the   Hunter model...  who know that might be the 2nd one  down the road..  I will also  look into the  Trigger upgrade and the  grips too.

Thanks Folks!

• NRATC53 likes this

#5 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 24728 posts

Posted January 15 2020 - 04:31 PM

Good People,

Thanks for the replies.  I had the chance to handle  most of the lineup  for size today.    I think i am  sold on the Competition  model with the " slab sided barrel"  This will not be a gun used for hunting- although i think i could if i wanted to.

This is going to be a  Range piece.  I've always wanted one of these..  so now is the time.  I've heard  that  making "race guns" out of these are  fairly common- I think i'll shoot it first  to see how i like it..  I might not have to do anything  to it at all...  yeah sure....

I don't know anyone  who has one of these   who hasn't  at least  changed the grips,trigger, and or sights.  I still have a wee bit of research  to do and   then i'll make the purchase... in about a week or so.  I understand that supersonic  ammo is  the best bet  for these?

I'm not in the Sunshine state  but thanks for the offer!!  just send up the sunshine and we will call it good!!     The runner up  was indeed the   Hunter model...  who know that might be the 2nd one  down the road..  I will also  look into the  Trigger upgrade and the  grips too.

Thanks Folks!

Enjoy it, and also enjoy that it comes apart for work and cleaning with the push of a button!

#6 Gaijin

Gaijin

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 244 posts
  • LocationLong I$land

Posted January 15 2020 - 11:39 PM

That is definitely a plus!  Like i said  everyone that i have  spoken to  has told me that the latest  version of this "marked"  improvement.  I think that i will try to make this happen  sooner than later..   just have to make room in the safe now!

Thanks!

#7 Gaijin

Gaijin

Respected Gunowner

• 244 posts
  • LocationLong I$land

Posted February 19 2020 - 08:07 PM

I'm packing it up and sending off to Vorquartson  to have some work done on it.  I'm told that  i can do this  as long as i dont send  the top half  which  has the Serial #  Anybody  here  know of any reason that this might not be a good idea?

#8 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 716 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted February 20 2020 - 07:31 AM

I'm packing it up and sending off to Vorquartson  to have some work done on it.  I'm told that  i can do this  as long as i dont send  the top half  which  has the Serial #  Anybody  here  know of any reason that this might not be a good idea?

What are they doing to it? I installed their kit easily...and it’s fun to do.

#9 a7vette2

a7vette2

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 864 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted February 20 2020 - 08:32 AM

Not sure if this link will work but here goes...

https://volquartsen....10e14-128230725

#10 Gaijin

Gaijin

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 244 posts
  • LocationLong I$land

Posted February 20 2020 - 08:49 AM

I'm having the  Extended  Mag release installed and the  trigger kit installed as well.  The  Bolts are not in yet  so  when they become available  i can do that myself.  I've never run into a company that when you order something  comes with no instruction. I had to call them to get them to send me "YT" links.

I mean what did we do do before YT?

#11 Gaijin

Gaijin

Respected Gunowner

• 244 posts
  • LocationLong I$land

Posted February 20 2020 - 08:54 AM

Thank you for the link!!  that was most thoughtful!

• a7vette2 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users