Freeport range - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Freeport range

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 05 2020 - 02:49 PM

Mates,

Are there waits for lanes on weekends? If so, how long?

As I understand it, indoor lanes are 25 yards, correct?

I only shoot 9mm handguns and shotgun, so ammo restrictions are not an issue.

Thanks for any advice

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 565 posts

Posted January 05 2020 - 03:54 PM

I've been a Freeport club member for many years, and highly recommend considering joining it.

Maximum range indoors is 50 feet. You are allowed to shoot midrange at some of the points. .22lr rifle and pistol are fine indoors, as well as centerfire pistol (no shotgun or centerfire rifle allowed indoors).

A notice was posted recently to the effect that they don't want members using centerfire pistol ammo with bimetal bullets indoors, due to the excessive wear and tear on the backstop. I believe the Russian Tula stuff falls into this category.

ETA:
I don't think I have ever had to wait for a point to be open when shooting indoors, and from my perspective is not much of a concern.

• RVA likes this

#3 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 05 2020 - 06:26 PM

Thank you for the info!

Sounds perfect, except for the 50 ft limit. I usually shoot at 15 yards, so it is not prohibitive, but I am still a new shooter and i imagined that I would want to extend my range in the future

#4 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted January 05 2020 - 07:08 PM

On the outside portion of the range, you can technically shoot as far as 50 yards if there are no other shooters or only a handful who coordinate to shoot at that distance. More practically speaking, you can typically expect to shoot at 25 yards outside as there are usually a few members on the range at any given time during the daytime and most don't use the 50 yard points which are set back further than the 25 yard. On Sunday afternoons when the Junior club is in session, members are only allowed to shoot outside during this time. The plus is that during Junior club sessions, range officers set up numerous hanging steel and synthetic targets that members are allowed to shoot at. You can also shoot centerfire rifle and shotgun outside.

• RVA likes this

#5 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 05 2020 - 07:24 PM

On the outside portion of the range, you can technically shoot as far as 50 yards if there are no other shooters or only a handful who coordinate to shoot at that distance. More practically speaking, you can typically expect to shoot at 25 yards outside as there are usually a few members on the range at any given time during the daytime and most don't use the 50 yard points which are set back further than the 25 yard. On Sunday afternoons when the Junior club is in session, members are only allowed to shoot outside during this time. The plus is that during Junior club sessions, range officers set up numerous hanging steel and synthetic targets that members are allowed to shoot at. You can also shoot centerfire rifle and shotgun outside.

Thank you for the info. I will check out an open house

#6 only7rounds

only7rounds

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 05 2020 - 07:33 PM

Can you shoot pistol calibers in rifles, such as .357 in levers and 9mm in the Ruger PC9, indoors?

#7 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted January 05 2020 - 08:11 PM

Can you shoot pistol calibers in rifles, such as .357 in levers and 9mm in the Ruger PC9, indoors?

No, pistol-caliber rifles as well as all magnum loads are not allowed on the indoor range. They would both be fine on the outdoor range.

Revolvers in .357 and .44 magnum would need to be loaded with .38spl and .44spl respectively in order to be kosher for the indoor range.

#8 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 11 2020 - 12:29 PM

I will probably check out an open house tomorrow. Is there anything I need to do other than show up between 9-11? I know not to expect to shoot.

Thanks

• ub3rgeek likes this

#9 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted January 11 2020 - 02:19 PM

Just show up!  Maybe bring a set of ears, in case you look around outside while members are shooting.

• ub3rgeek and RVA like this

#10 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 12 2020 - 12:35 AM

Just show up!  Maybe bring a set of ears, in case you look around outside while members are shooting.

Good advice. Thank you!

#11 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 28 2020 - 07:51 PM

Going for the safety class tomorrow. Just noticed that it is 3 1/2 hours -  UGH!!

#12 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 29 2020 - 11:41 PM

I sat for the safety class tonight--and then proceeded to shoot the worst 10 rounds I have shot in months!! Something about shooting on cue, I think. I better shake that before considering competition shooting!

Anyway, they still let me in, so I will see you fellas there!

#13 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• 565 posts

Posted January 30 2020 - 05:23 AM

Welcome to the club!

• RVA likes this

#14 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 242 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 04 2020 - 03:27 PM

How is the ventilation system in their indoor range?   Any issues with lead, lead buildup on the floor or walls?

#15 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• 565 posts

Posted November 04 2020 - 03:38 PM

The ventilation system is good in my view. Also, the indoor range area was renovated recently.

• packetloss likes this

#16 baxtersmith

baxtersmith

Respected Gunowner

• 195 posts

Posted November 04 2020 - 06:12 PM

The indoor range is clean and very well ventilated.

#17 Roufus

Roufus

Respected Gunowner

• 221 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty.

Posted November 04 2020 - 08:24 PM

Is that the NRA pistol course? I need that for CT carry permit. Tx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users