Quick access pistol safes - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Quick access pistol safes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted December 25 2019 - 11:08 PM

Hello mates,

First, I would like to thank everyone for solid advice to settle down and practice when I first got my license and thought a laser was a good idea. It was not.

Since that time, I have been going to the range frequently, shot a few thousand rounds, and spent many nights dry firing. I also just got my third handgun, so it is safe to say I have the fever!

I have been hunting for a good quick access pistol safe, and while there are plenty of "top 10" lists, they all have a large percentage of bad reviews attacking the lock, the RFID, and/or the mechanical function, so these suggestions have left me scratching my head.

So I was wondering what everyone here has come to trust for this purpose. Just by way of example, I had been considering a Vaultek such as this:

https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

or Hornady like this

https://www.amazon.c...=cm_wl_huc_item

Thank you in advance for any advice

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 dr. glock

dr. glock

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 121 posts

Posted December 26 2019 - 12:17 AM

That's awesome, always good to hear when someone is serious about getting in the practice reps and especially buying more guns!!  

With regards to quick access storage, if you have the budget to spend for the Vaultek, then I would recommend you look into a simplex safe. Basically a mechanical push button combo safe, so you don't have to worry about batteries or biometrics going Murphy's law on you. A specific model I recommend is Fas1. He doesn't do flashy marketing so most people have not heard of him, but he has good reviews. It's a family business run by a guy active on pistol-forum.com, very pro-2A, makes a solid made in the USA quick access pistol safe with various sizes and the build quality is up to spec. The safes have a holster built into the gas-strut door so when it opens, you can get a quick and safe grip on the gun. Check them out, I've spoken to him and done some research into this. If you can afford it, it's the real deal. He often has discount codes, might even have a sale now for the holiday season. Other brands you might look into include Amsec, V-Line, and Fort Knox. They all cost the same as the Fas1, but I think you'll be happier with Fas1's safe and customer support in the end. Good luck!

• RVA likes this

#3 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted December 26 2019 - 12:42 AM

That's awesome, always good to hear when someone is serious about getting in the practice reps and especially buying more guns!!

With regards to quick access storage, if you have the budget to spend for the Vaultek, then I would recommend you look into a simplex safe. Basically a mechanical push button combo safe, so you don't have to worry about batteries or biometrics going Murphy's law on you. A specific model I recommend is Fas1. He doesn't do flashy marketing so most people have not heard of him, but he has good reviews. It's a family business run by a guy active on pistol-forum.com, very pro-2A, makes a solid made in the USA quick access pistol safe with various sizes and the build quality is up to spec. The safes have a holster built into the gas-strut door so when it opens, you can get a quick and safe grip on the gun. Check them out, I've spoken to him and done some research into this. If you can afford it, it's the real deal. He often has discount codes, might even have a sale now for the holiday season. Other brands you might look into include Amsec, V-Line, and Fort Knox. They all cost the same as the Fas1, but I think you'll be happier with Fas1's safe and customer support in the end. Good luck!

Great info. Thank you very much and happy holidays!
  • dr. glock likes this

#4 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 25763 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted December 26 2019 - 09:11 AM

Fas1 is having a Christmas sale now. 

• RVA and dr. glock like this

#5 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2604 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted December 26 2019 - 09:44 AM

Glad to hear you got the bug!  Next step is formal training; there are a few training company's on the Island, I've taken a few with Rob @ Systematic Performance Concepts and have gotten a lot out of each class.

As for safes..I'm a big fan of the Hornady RFID Safes, I currently have 2.  I had the first of their safes, and it failed because I messed up the release sequence.  Hornady guided me through getting it opened (which destroyed it) and sent me a new pistol safe to replace it.  I'll probably get their vault at one point in the future.

I know there are people that have had great success with bio safes, but I found they work 9 out of 10 times with the Gunvault I have.

• RVA likes this

#6 RVA

RVA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted December 26 2019 - 09:53 AM

Glad to hear you got the bug!  Next step is formal training; there are a few training company's on the Island, I've taken a few with Rob @ Systematic Performance Concepts and have gotten a lot out of each class.

As for safes..I'm a big fan of the Hornady RFID Safes, I currently have 2.  I had the first of their safes, and it failed because I messed up the release sequence.  Hornady guided me through getting it opened (which destroyed it) and sent me a new pistol safe to replace it.  I'll probably get their vault at one point in the future.

I know there are people that have had great success with bio safes, but I found they work 9 out of 10 times with the Gunvault I have.

Thank you for the recommendation and the advice. Formal training is on my list. I did reasonably well tackling the basics, but I find self evaluation difficult at this point and my progress has plateaued somewhat. Do you have a contact # for Rob?

#7 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2604 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted December 26 2019 - 01:07 PM

PM sent

• RVA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users