One Week And Counting Down - NYSRPA Case Hits SCOTUS Next Monday - Page 2 - US Government Laws & News (2A ONLY) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

One Week And Counting Down - NYSRPA Case Hits SCOTUS Next Monday

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Stainless45

Stainless45

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 577 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted November 29 2019 - 10:40 PM

Trust me I'd love to see NYC, Cuomo, and the rest get spanked by the SCOTUS, but.......

I hate to be a pessimist.  Even a full victory in this case, if I read it right, doesn't get us any closer to licensed carry, constitutional carry, or an end to the UNsafe act.  It just means the peasants of NYC will be able to transport their arms, locked and unloaded, to and from a range or hunting area.  Am I right?

• NYC_Under_Dictatorship likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10975 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 30 2019 - 01:16 PM

Trust me I'd love to see NYC, Cuomo, and the rest get spanked by the SCOTUS, but.......

I hate to be a pessimist.  Even a full victory in this case, if I read it right, doesn't get us any closer to licensed carry, constitutional carry, or an end to the UNsafe act.  It just means the peasants of NYC will be able to transport their arms, locked and unloaded, to and from a range or hunting area.  Am I right?

Yes, we already have a victory by NYC and New York changing it’s law on Premise license. Many legal experts have pointed out the SCOTUS can’t expand further with it’s ruling with regards to carrying concealed or being issued a carry license since this case only covers transport in a locked box outside NYC.
I would expect other pro 2A cases coming along in the next few years that may address concealed carry and the Safe Act.

#23 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 3746 posts

Posted November 30 2019 - 01:32 PM

I asked one of the real lawyers over at SCOTUSBLOG about the audio recording of the orals. Here is her reply...

They normally post the audio on the Friday morning/mid-day after the oral argument. They have occasionally released audio on the same day as the oral argument, but I have not heard anything suggesting that they will do so on Monday, unfortunately. They will release a transcript on Monday afternoon, however. Hope this is helpful; please feel free to circle back if you have more questions.

Edited by blue steel, November 30 2019 - 01:32 PM.

#24 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3746 posts

Posted December 01 2019 - 12:01 PM

This was just posted by Guntalk - Tom Gresham.....he got a seat in the audience for the arguments and will be outside SCOTUS from 8am tomorrow !

Tom Gresham
@Guntalk
Head’s Up. I’ll do live streaming Monday on the Gun Talk Media Facebook page. Reporting on protests before the arguments before SCOTUS, and afterward with my impressions on what happened.

#25 mvphilly

mvphilly

Gun Guru

• 1318 posts

Posted December 01 2019 - 12:18 PM

Yeah more George Soros protesters.

#26 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10975 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 01 2019 - 03:38 PM

Many news outlets are picking up the big SCOTUS case set for Monday. Many fear this will undermine the public safety NYC had in place for so many years with it’s restrictions.
What the MSM should write is how NYC changed it’s policy to avoid the SCOTUS from hearing the case as it Violated the Second Amendment.
  • Mr. Shotgun and NRATC53 like this

#27 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2118 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted December 01 2019 - 03:57 PM

Many news outlets are picking up the big SCOTUS case set for Monday. Many fear this will undermine the public safety NYC had in place for so many years with it’s restrictions.
What the MSM should write is how NYC changed it’s policy to avoid the SCOTUS from hearing the case as it Violated the Second Amendment.

"Undermine public safety" - as if NYC was already a true safe place for law abiding citizens

#28 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.

• Club LIF Member
  • 6226 posts

Posted December 01 2019 - 08:15 PM

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
  • blue steel and NYC_Under_Dictatorship like this

#29 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 7044 posts

Posted December 01 2019 - 09:37 PM

One thing I've heard discussed as a possible positive out of this case would be a raising of the level of scrutiny use when reconsidering 2nd Amendment law (from rational or intermediate to strict), making the passage of laws that limit the keeping and bearing of arms more difficult to meet the standard of Constitutional. That alone may help in striking down laws or regulations currently in place that infringe on our 2nd Amendment rights.

#30 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3746 posts

Posted December 01 2019 - 09:53 PM

One thing I've heard discussed as a possible positive out of this case would be a raising of the level of scrutiny use when reconsidering 2nd Amendment law (from rational or intermediate to strict), making the passage of laws that limit the keeping and bearing of arms more difficult to meet the standard of Constitutional. That alone may help in striking down laws or regulations currently in place that infringe on our 2nd Amendment rights.

agreed... heard the same from multiple lawyers. Allan Gottlieb today said that the court also has 7 2A cases in limbo. The have not dismissed them and they haven’t granted cert, some for over a year. He speculated that they may tie these cases in mass somehow to our case. That he has not seen a similar situation before where they hold a whole class of cases. I suspect that with Kav and Gorsuch an Thomas and Alito are pushing real hard for MAjOR 2A stuff...

#31 NYC_Under_Dictatorship

NYC_Under_Dictatorship

Respected Gunowner

• 143 posts
  • LocationEnslaved New Yorker

Posted December 01 2019 - 11:23 PM

SCOTUS guns case could expand gun rights

Nov 29, 2019

#32 NYC_Under_Dictatorship

NYC_Under_Dictatorship

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 143 posts
  • LocationEnslaved New Yorker

Posted December 01 2019 - 11:26 PM

The Supreme Court is about to hear its biggest gun-control case in a decade

PUBLISHED FRI, NOV 29 20197:57 AM EST

https://www.cnbc.com...n-a-decade.html

#33 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3746 posts

Posted December 02 2019 - 08:24 AM

Tom Gresham just posted a video feed from outside SCOTUS on facebook....

https://m.facebook.com/guntalkmedia/

#34 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25203 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted December 02 2019 - 08:39 AM

BEWARE OF JUSTICE ROBERTS.

• Tesla2014 and NYC_Under_Dictatorship like this

#35 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6149 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted December 02 2019 - 08:52 AM

Gary

I suspect a slow news days before the holiday triggered this article. Cops grabbed him a year and a half ago in Aug 2018 and article says they offered expungment in 6 months. So he is free and clear me thinks. BUT I wouldn't put it past the leftist cabal to try and "dirty" him up before the SCOTUS hearing also...

Thanks. Reuters made it sound as though this was a current arrest.

Gary

#36 Tesla2014

Tesla2014

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted December 02 2019 - 10:16 AM

BEWARE OF JUSTICE ROBERTS.

I heard Roberts voted in favor of Heller, voted for the 2nd amendment in that case.

#37 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3746 posts

Posted December 02 2019 - 11:48 AM

Ok Tom Gresham just posted again. Arguments are over. Outside SCOTUS the lazy arse gun community failed to show up. Watch his post, its sad.

#38 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10975 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 02 2019 - 11:56 AM

Thanks. Reuters made it sound as though this was a current arrest.
Gary

Gary, Mr. Alvarez agreed to an A.C.D. , he apparently was collared during his 6 month period he agreed with the court in the plea deal with the Bronx DA.
He definitely will be facing the original charge in addition to his new legal problems. His guns are not being returned now.

#39 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6149 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted December 02 2019 - 12:44 PM

Gary, Mr. Alvarez agreed to an A.C.D. , he apparently was collared during his 6 month period he agreed with the court in the plea deal with the Bronx DA.
He definitely will be facing the original charge in addition to his new legal problems. His guns are not being returned now.

Boosti:

Thanks.

Gary

#40 wrffan

wrffan

Respected Gunowner

• 101 posts
  • LocationStaten Island

Posted December 02 2019 - 01:04 PM

Ok Tom Gresham just posted again. Arguments are over. Outside SCOTUS the lazy arse gun community failed to show up. Watch his post, its sad.

I just watched Tom Gresham's post arguments report. It is disturbing that our side supporters fail to show up, but as one poster from our side said " because our side works". Tom went on to say from what he heard inside, they will likely not rule the case mute. His gut feeling from the questions asked is that they will rule for the better of our side, but to what degree remains to be seen. Stay tuned!

• Mr. Shotgun and NYC_Under_Dictatorship like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users