Looking for a decent gunsmith on LI - Page 2 - Gun Stores & Gunsmiths - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Looking for a decent gunsmith on LI

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 DeepBlue

DeepBlue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 23 2019 - 08:47 AM

Sounds like it's short stroking or a mag problem.

Check ejector and extractor

Is it is happening with multiple magazines?

May just need a deep cleaning and a lube

To date, I changed recoil spring and put fresh springs into 2 mags that were experiencing these issues. No effect. Next, I thoroughly cleaned everything including the chamber. I normally clean after every session but don't ever use a wire brush for the bore, but I did use one now. Seems to have changed things a bit, but was still having issues. Last thing I did was get a new mag and here is what I started seeing after a thorough clean.

This happens much more frequently with the old mags but also happened a few times with the new mag. My next step was to detail strip everything and clean inside and out. Ran into a bit of a snag. Can't seem to remove the slide pin holding the block in place. It looks like a simple procedure, but mine just wont come out and I won't force it... anymore.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Y9aIFhBFeRI

Attached Thumbnails

• jam2.gif

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#22 DeepBlue

DeepBlue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 23 2019 - 08:56 AM

Awesome, I guess you have a local FFL that can assist.

A few friends recommended an FFL on Staten Island. I've never used this one before. Have some concerns. This is not a typical transaction and requires a bit more high touch. FLL has to call S&W for me, get a shipping label... etc. Seems like a PITA for an FFL and I'm not even sure if they count this as a chargeable transaction.

#23 DeepBlue

DeepBlue

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 23 2019 - 09:00 AM

Was this all one lot of ammo? May be slightly light loads. Gun and magazine(s) clean? After that:

1st check- take barrel off (for easier access and safety) does live round drop freely into chamber?? If you dry fire a rimfire, if can damage the rear of the chamber.

2nd- If round is free in chamber, replace recoil spring. Wolff has recoil calibration kits- https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php  that include several different springs for under 20 bucks. Trial & error will tell you which spring to use.

I'm willing to bet that this will solve your problems.

Different lots of ammo, I tried a several different brands recently, all standard velocity are now having issues. Only thing that worked fine were high velocity. Which are not recommended for Model 41. 

I never dry fire rimfires but I cannot guarantee that it never happened with this pistol. My guess would be that it has a number of times.

Here is something that could be relevant. I typically used a bore snake vs rod/patches to clean the bore. This worked fine for 5+ years for this pistol. I only switched up to rod/patches/brush once I started having these issues. Chamber looks good though. A round goes in and comes out just fine.

#24 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2482 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted November 23 2019 - 12:00 PM

Wow... had no idea.

I'm in NYC though. Hence, things might be a bid different for me. Will have to look into that. 

Still would be great to find a decent gunsmith in close proximity. Sadly, a very good gunsmith I was dealing with for ages has passed away recently.

Disregard my posted information. If you’re in NYC, that scenario wont work. I don’t believe they can deliver a handgun to your residence like they can in Nassau/Suffolk counties.

#25 MikeM

MikeM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1647 posts
  • LocationEast Northport

Posted November 26 2019 - 12:01 PM

Was just going to post for the same advice for a Walther P22.  round chambers but doesn't go bang.

#26 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7925 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted November 26 2019 - 04:34 PM

Have a local gunsmith or machine shop do a vibrasonic cleaning in a hot solution.
Standard velocity ammo is waxy and the stuff can build up everywhere, including areas you can't reach with a brush.

#27 Monday dallas

Monday dallas

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted September 09 2020 - 02:19 AM

Am new on here please how do i get a new P226 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users