Looking for a decent gunsmith on LI - Gun Stores & Gunsmiths - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Looking for a decent gunsmith on LI

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 DeepBlue

DeepBlue

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 21 2019 - 10:34 PM

Hey Guys,

Hoping someone could recommend a decent gunsmith within reasonable proximity to NYC. Need someone to take a look at a Performance Center Model 41. Would not want some hack messing around with it. 

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 JAMerolle

JAMerolle

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 269 posts

Posted November 21 2019 - 10:41 PM

The performance model should have a life time warranty.  Why not just send it in for repair.? 

• boosti likes this

#3 DeepBlue

DeepBlue

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 21 2019 - 10:47 PM

Honestly, its been so long since I mailed any firearms, that I'm not even sure how to go about it at this point. I thought about asking a local FFL dealer to handle the mailing for me. It has to be mailed back to an FFL dealer in any case, correct?

Just seems like a pain in the @$$ to have to deal with shipping a pistol back and forth. 

#4 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11553 posts

Posted November 22 2019 - 12:10 AM

You can send direct, they can return direct to you.
  • boosti likes this

#5 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2460 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted November 22 2019 - 09:14 AM

Contact S&W Ask for a prepaid label to ship it back for repair. Drop the package with your gun in it at FedEx
Wait for it to be returned to your residence. Will require an adult signature of course.
Very simple process.
  • boosti likes this

#6 DeepBlue

DeepBlue

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 22 2019 - 09:20 AM

Wow... had no idea.

I'm in NYC though. Hence, things might be a bid different for me. Will have to look into that. 

Still would be great to find a decent gunsmith in close proximity. Sadly, a very good gunsmith I was dealing with for ages has passed away recently.

#7 wrench

wrench

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted November 22 2019 - 10:03 AM

782 gun works in Bohbemia, might be a bit of a ride but Bil is an excellent gun smith.  (1545a2 ocean ave)

• NativeNYer and VolkoSupply like this

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11194 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 22 2019 - 10:08 AM

Wow... had no idea.

I'm in NYC though. Hence, things might be a bid different for me. Will have to look into that.

Still would be great to find a decent gunsmith in close proximity. Sadly, a very good gunsmith I was dealing with for ages has passed away recently.

Very few, if any reputable gunsmiths that are local. Most are upstate or out of state and have a long turn around time. Smith & Wesson will repair a newer revolver, especially an Performance Center model.
I wouldn’t hesitate calling S&W customer service and request a prepaid shipping label.
Smith and Wesson still has a good reputation with it’s policy on newer revolvers. I have heard customers sending back revolvers a second and third time until it was repaired.
Lou at Big Dog Arms is a Gunsmith and can repair a S&W revolver. He is the only guy I know in my area that can work on a Smith and Wesson action.

#9 DeepBlue

DeepBlue

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 22 2019 - 11:12 AM

782 gun works looks legit. Proximity is not a problem and it would be good to have a local gunsmith I can deal with.

Thanks guys. I will give them a call later today and see if I need to make an appointment. Will update in regards to my experience with them.

• Ancap likes this

#10 MEGA2899

MEGA2899

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 619 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted November 22 2019 - 12:31 PM

782 does amazing work. It’s worth the drive. Bruce at hunters essentials can also help you out.

I had bill cut and crown my p01 omega barrel cause the threaded barrel wasn’t legal in NY.

#11 DeepBlue

DeepBlue

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 22 2019 - 12:37 PM

Spoke with Doug at 782. All good, except its kind of bad timing on my part. Gunsmith has 2 month backlog due to hunting season. Will have to check a few more places.

Thanks for the great info so far guys!

#12 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6241 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted November 22 2019 - 02:15 PM

Benson's Gun Shop, in Coram, also has two excellent smiths. They've been doing my work, for 30+ years, even machining parts, when they could not get them from the manufacturer.

Gary

#13 dougfxdl

dougfxdl

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 890 posts

Posted November 22 2019 - 02:24 PM

41's are ridiculously reliable. What's not working?

#14 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• 770 posts

Posted November 22 2019 - 03:49 PM

Contact S&W Ask for a prepaid label to ship it back for repair. Drop the package with your gun in it at FedEx
Wait for it to be returned to your residence. Will require an adult signature of course.
Very simple process.

OR, better yet, have them return it to a Fed Ex Center near you and get the tracking number. Check with Fed Ex first about this, but it is a pain in the ass to redeem the package with your notice slip after normal business hours if you are not home.

#15 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 770 posts

Posted November 22 2019 - 03:51 PM

Ask the local shops if they have their own gunsmith on staff, or they send it out or the smith comes to them.

#16 DeepBlue

DeepBlue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 22 2019 - 04:12 PM

41's are ridiculously reliable. What's not working?

Seeing several different kinds of malfunctions. All very recent, was just fine for about 5 years or so using standard velocity cci. Getting empty chamber on a full mag after first shot. Several different kinds of stovepipes including one with empty casing wedged in backwards with live round half chambered.

#17 DeepBlue

DeepBlue

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 22 2019 - 04:14 PM

OR, better yet, have them return it to a Fed Ex Center near you and get the tracking number. Check with Fed Ex first about this, but it is a pain in the ass to redeem the package with your notice slip after normal business hours if you are not home.

Surprisingly, or maybe unsurprisingly... Spoke to several LI based shops offering gunsmithing services and they told me to ship it back to S&W as soon as I said Performance Center.

Called S&W and as soon as I said I was in NYC, they informed me that any shipping to and from must go from an FFL. They will still generate the free ship label but a dealer has to call them and do it. Return shipment will go back to FLL as well. 

#18 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11194 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 22 2019 - 04:24 PM

Surprisingly, or maybe unsurprisingly... Spoke to several LI based shops offering gunsmithing services and they told me to ship it back to S&W as soon as I said Performance Center.

Called S&W and as soon as I said I was in NYC, they informed me that any shipping to and from must go from an FFL. They will still generate the free ship label but a dealer has to call them and do it. Return shipment will go back to FLL as well.

Awesome, I guess you have a local FFL that can assist.

#19 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2332 posts

Posted November 22 2019 - 07:40 PM

Seeing several different kinds of malfunctions. All very recent, was just fine for about 5 years or so using standard velocity cci. Getting empty chamber on a full mag after first shot. Several different kinds of stovepipes including one with empty casing wedged in backwards with live round half chambered.

Sounds like it's short stroking or a mag problem.

Check ejector and extractor

Is it is happening with multiple magazines?

May just need a deep cleaning and a lube

Edited by Shotgun682, November 22 2019 - 07:42 PM.

• grifhunter and a7vette2 like this

#20 dougfxdl

dougfxdl

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 890 posts

Posted November 23 2019 - 08:29 AM

Was this all one lot of ammo? May be slightly light loads. Gun and magazine(s) clean? After that:

1st check- take barrel off (for easier access and safety) does live round drop freely into chamber?? If you dry fire a rimfire, if can damage the rear of the chamber.

2nd- If round is free in chamber, replace recoil spring. Wolff has recoil calibration kits- https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php  that include several different springs for under 20 bucks. Trial & error will tell you which spring to use.

I'm willing to bet that this will solve your problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users