DEC's definition of "Long Bow"? - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

DEC's definition of "Long Bow"?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Yupitsnuge

Yupitsnuge

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 284 posts

Posted November 15 2019 - 04:48 PM

I recently found out that my town allows hunting with a "long bow". What is the DEC's definition of a "long bow"? Does that mean no cams so a recurve is gtg? I called the number that was listed on the DEC site and the lady who answered was extremely rude about how I should already know this and that they are doing us a favor etc etc so I said thanks so much and have a great weekend and hung up. 

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 15 2019 - 06:28 PM

Don't have to be Robin Hood or Little John.   the distinction is really just between crossbows and bows in general including compound (cams), recurve and Robin Hood's long bow.   am trying to find and then cut and paste from the DEC regs/

BTW, every time I call the DEC the person answers with their name.  I hope you caught it.  I am positive the idiot's supervisor would appreciate a "bouquet" letter.

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11194 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 15 2019 - 09:40 PM

I recently found out that my town allows hunting with a "long bow". What is the DEC's definition of a "long bow"? Does that mean no cams so a recurve is gtg? I called the number that was listed on the DEC site and the lady who answered was extremely rude about how I should already know this and that they are doing us a favor etc etc so I said thanks so much and have a great weekend and hung up.

You still need to use the proper poundage allowed for hunting Deer which I believe the minimum is 45 lbs. being 150 feet from a dwelling, school, church or occupied building unless you have permission. If you visit the DEC website they will have all the requirements for archery hunting. The Archery season is actually at it’s peak of the rutting season now. Perfect time to harvest a deer!

#4 cprstn54

cprstn54

Banned

• Banned
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted November 16 2019 - 09:06 AM

I believe it is 35# for big game, and the poundage must be stated on the bow. So, if you draw a 32# recurve bow 32" and the actual draw weight is 38# you are nevertheless not legal for deer. So says the DEC person who answered my email.

Not sure what would happen if you put on a professional looking sticker that stated the actual draw weight at your draw length.

#5 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4904 posts

Posted November 16 2019 - 01:42 PM

Yes, its 35lb

#6 Yupitsnuge

Yupitsnuge

Respected Gunowner

• 284 posts

Posted November 16 2019 - 05:19 PM

I'm still confused by the actual wording. It specifically states "long bow", but I would assume recurve bow is included in the long bow but is compound too?

#7 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11194 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 16 2019 - 06:02 PM

I'm still confused by the actual wording. It specifically states "long bow", but I would assume recurve bow is included in the long bow but is compound too?

Which Town is this? Every town that allows hunting on Long Island is following the DEC regulations.

#8 Yupitsnuge

Yupitsnuge

Respected Gunowner

• 284 posts

Posted November 16 2019 - 08:44 PM

Which Town is this? Every town that allows hunting on Long Island is following the DEC regulations.

Town of huntington

From town code...

“ § 109-3
Exemptions.
The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to:
(A)
A law enforcement officer in the performance of his official duties.
(B)
Programs conducted by public or private schools offering instruction or training in the use of firearms.
©
The authorized use of a pistol, rifle or target range regularly operated and maintained by a police department or other law enforcement agency or by any duly organized membership corporation or by any municipal corporation.
[Amended 1-20-1976 by L.L. No. 1-1976]
(D)
The lawful use of a firearm in the defense of person or property.
(E)
Duly recognized parade or marching groups, including any United States military organizations and the Huntington Battalion of Minute Men and duly recognized veterans' groups.
[Added 1-20-1976 by L.L. No. 1-1976[1] ]
[1]
Editor's Note: An original Subsection (e), exempting the owner or lessee of a dwelling house or guests or family members from the provisions of this chapter, was repealed 6-25-1974 by Ord. No. 74-CE-20.
(F)
Long bow hunting on private property, as outlined by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, pursuant to a validly issued license by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Long bow hunting in accordance with this chapter and Chapter 159 of the Code of the Town of Huntington shall be permitted providing that:
[Added 9-16-2015 by L.L. No. 35-2015; amended 10-6-2015 by L.L. No. 44-2015; 10-17-2017 by L.L. No. 46-2017; 12-4-2018 by L.L. No. 40-2018]
(1)
Notification.
(a)
Written notification shall be given to the Town's Department of Public Safety and local police department, prior to the commencement of hunting activity; and
(B)
Residents whose homes are within 150 feet of long bow hunting activity shall be notified, in writing, prior to the commencement of said activity whenever possible and/or as circumstances permit.
©
Anyone who willfully disregards these provisions shall be subject to penalties as set forth in this chapter.
(2)
No person shall:
(a)
Discharge a long bow in such a way as will result in the arrow thereof passing over a public highway or any part thereof;
(B)
Discharge a long bow within 150 feet from a dwelling house, farm building or farm structure actually occupied or used, school building, school playground, public structure, or occupied factory or church;
©
The prohibitions described in subparagraph b of paragraph 2 above shall not apply to the owner or lessee of the dwelling house, or members of his immediate family actually residing therein, or a person in his employ, or the guest of the owner or lessee of the dwelling house acting with the consent of said owner or lessee, provided however, that nothing herein shall be deemed to authorize such persons to discharge a long bow within 150 feet of any other dwelling house, or a farm building or farm structure actually occupied or used, or a school building or playground, public structure, or occupied factory or church;
(d)
Anyone who willfully disregards these provisions shall be subject to penalties as set forth in this chapter.”

#9 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 3032 posts

Posted November 16 2019 - 09:00 PM

Pretty sure I know a few people that have taken deer in Huntington with compound bows.

• boosti likes this

#10 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts

Posted November 17 2019 - 09:29 AM

Exactly.  With a well placed phone call and email or three that idiot on the phone could be weighing dead carcasses next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users