Hunter Education/Safety Course - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Hunter Education/Safety Course

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DesertFrog

DesertFrog

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 539 posts
  • LocationWantagh. LI

Posted October 30 2019 - 10:01 AM

Hey guys I am trying to get setup for my Hunting License and I cant seem to get into any Hunter Education classes this year. Is there anyway slip into any classes? I had no idea they fill up like this. Really was looking forward to getting out this year. Thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 668 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted October 30 2019 - 10:11 AM

Check the website often. The classes will open fairly abruptly. However, most of the instructors are hunting and not in the classrooms right now.

#3 DesertFrog

DesertFrog

Gun Guru

• 539 posts
  • LocationWantagh. LI

Posted October 30 2019 - 10:24 AM

Check the website often. The classes will open fairly abruptly. However, most of the instructors are hunting and not in the classrooms right now.

Right now there are 12 classes up all full through November 16. It has been the same for the past week.

#4 limon276

limon276

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 445 posts
  • LocationCentral Nassau

Posted October 30 2019 - 11:59 AM

I have been looking for one as well

#5 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted October 31 2019 - 07:14 AM

Wowzer got it right.   Most hunter safety courses are in the spring and summer since the volunteer instructors are more interested in hunting through January.  I was surprised to see that there were any scheduled in the fall at all.  Since there is a "homework" required beforehand, the old trick of showing up in the hope of a cancellation / no-show doesn't work anymore.  https://www.dec.ny.g...tdoor/7860.html

#6 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11194 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 31 2019 - 08:10 AM

The DEC has changed it’s course requirements from what a DEC Instructor said. The DEC course requires a completed homework assignment. A few courses upstate offer a one day class on the weekend. The best place that offered the Hunter Safety Course is at Mitchell Field. They have a sheet posted in the lobby with different dates. The instructor I talked to said he could offer a course with a minimum of 6 students. The problem with that is securing a location approved by the DEC.

#7 DesertFrog

DesertFrog

Gun Guru

• 539 posts
  • LocationWantagh. LI

Posted October 31 2019 - 12:45 PM

Just booked up at Extreme Archery in Mamaroneck for 11/4-11/5. Two day 4 hours each. Just opened up today. 

FYI about the "Homework" you can complete this online in an hour or two. At the end you take a 75 question test and you cant print up a certification that you have successfully completed the work. 

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11194 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 17 2020 - 12:03 PM

Anyone looking to go Spring Turkey Hunting and needs to take a Hunter Safety Course. The State is now allowing anyone 11 years old and over to take the course online.
  • gzblack2 likes this

#9 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3335 posts

Posted April 18 2020 - 02:42 AM

Has anyone done the online Hunter safety class? I'm interested in doing it. Probably going to on my next few days off.

#10 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 18 2020 - 08:03 AM

How do you delete a post when you make a mistake???

#11 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 18 2020 - 08:08 AM

Take the course online while you can: https://www.hunter-e...ASAAEgKIsfD_BwE

I took the course a few years ago at the Metropolitan Rod and Gun Club in Brooklyn (http://www.metrorgc.org/) Great guys but who needs to drive to Brooklyn from Suffolk County for this. 

I am not a hunter. I only took the course so that my daughter could shoot my rifles and handguns off of my license. I suspect the online offering is time limited so take advantage of it while you can.

#12 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11194 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 19 2020 - 09:07 AM

Take the course online while you can: https://www.hunter-e...ASAAEgKIsfD_BwE

I took the course a few years ago at the Metropolitan Rod and Gun Club in Brooklyn (http://www.metrorgc.org/) Great guys but who needs to drive to Brooklyn from Suffolk County for this. 

I am not a hunter. I only took the course so that my daughter could shoot my rifles and handguns off of my license. I suspect the online offering is time limited so take advantage of it while you can.

I spoke to an DEC instructor and the online course is available now to help generate revenue this spring and encouraging people to take advantage of this limited time offer. Definitely a bonus for all those people struggling to find a course before deer hunting starts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users