CT Non-Resident CCW Permit - renewed in person today (my experience) - Out Of State Licensing - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

CT Non-Resident CCW Permit - renewed in person today (my experience)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted September 12 2019 - 07:14 PM

Hello everyone, 

I took a drive up to Middletown, CT today with my family to the CT State Police Headquarters to renew my CCW permit in person. At first I wasn't sure what to expect or how I would be treated based on the Google reviews I read earlier in the week, but all in all I was in and out within 10 minutes tops.

Upon pulling into the parking lot you'll see that the parking spaces were individually marked "visitor parking" 

Then upon entering the building you'll see signs stating "no weapons allowed beyond this point" which was to be expected. Upon entering I was greeted by a courteous and friendly trooper who checked me in and directed me to their firearms licensing division. 

Once I got on line 2 people were ahead of me, one gentleman was completing his application and allowed me to skip him in line. The lady ahead of me was renewing her permit and was done in 4-5 minutes tops. Once it was my turn I presented my renewal notice, the $70 cash payment, and my old CCW permit. The lady at the counter was nice, took my photo, got my electronic signature and I was out within 4-5 minutes at that point once my new card was printed.

All in all it was a good experience and it felt wierd to taste "freedom" - after we were done we drove an extra 20 minutes to Cabelas  

• NRATC53, VolkoSupply, TJ Ironhorse and 2 others like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.

• Club LIF Member
  • 6236 posts

Posted September 13 2019 - 12:23 AM

What is the initial procedure for Connecticut? Class? Live fire? Or is it like the PA non resident?
  • NYC_Under_Dictatorship likes this

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11245 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 13 2019 - 05:49 AM

Hello everyone, 

I took a drive up to Middletown, CT today with my family to the CT State Police Headquarters to renew my CCW permit in person. At first I wasn't sure what to expect or how I would be treated based on the Google reviews I read earlier in the week, but all in all I was in and out within 10 minutes tops.

Upon pulling into the parking lot you'll see that the parking spaces were individually marked "visitor parking" 

Then upon entering the building you'll see signs stating "no weapons allowed beyond this point" which was to be expected. Upon entering I was greeted by a courteous and friendly trooper who checked me in and directed me to their firearms licensing division. 

Once I got on line 2 people were ahead of me, one gentleman was completing his application and allowed me to skip him in line. The lady ahead of me was renewing her permit and was done in 4-5 minutes tops. Once it was my turn I presented my renewal notice, the $70 cash payment, and my old CCW permit. The lady at the counter was nice, took my photo, got my electronic signature and I was out within 4-5 minutes at that point once my new card was printed.

All in all it was a good experience and it felt wierd to taste "freedom" - after we were done we drove an extra 20 minutes to Cabelas

Did you need the renewal notice notorized in person or you just handed the old license with the cash.

#4 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted September 13 2019 - 01:24 PM

Did you need the renewal notice notorized in person or you just handed the old license with the cash.

No -  if you renew in person the form doesn't need to be notarized since they can physically see you in person and verify you that way based on the photo on your CCW permit. I just handed the cash, along with the old CCW permit along with the renewal notice which I signed in front of her. She then kept my old permit and gave me a new one  

• NRATC53 likes this

#5 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted September 13 2019 - 01:29 PM

What is the initial procedure for Connecticut? Class? Live fire? Or is it like the PA non resident?

Years ago I called the CT state police for an application which they mail you along with the requirements. I had to submit proof of knowledge of handgun safety which at the time was my NRA basic pistol certificate, which included live fire training. I'm not sure how it is now but CT will issue a non-resident full carry without you needing to have a full carry in your home state (which is why I decided to apply - in addition I visit friends, go camping and work in CT on occasion)....which is weird because most counties in PA wont issue a non-resident full carry unless you have a full carry from your home state. I know of one NYC resident here who got full carry in PA but used his hunting auth card / credentials to get it. I may have to research this further.

The other weird thing is that we can all agree that CT is more anti-gun than PA, but to me has a more relaxed way of issuing non-resident CCWs

Edited by Mr. Shotgun, September 13 2019 - 03:14 PM.

• CaptainMitchell likes this

#6 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted September 13 2019 - 01:31 PM

In all honesty I could have mailed in the renewal but decided to do it in person since I wanted to experience the process...plus the CT State Police office was on the way to Cabelas anyway lol, so it made the trip worthwhile the time and gas 

Edited by Mr. Shotgun, September 13 2019 - 01:31 PM.

#7 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2482 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted September 13 2019 - 01:32 PM

Sounds like a great experience. Thanks for sharing it with us.
  • Mr. Shotgun likes this

#8 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted September 13 2019 - 03:25 PM

Sounds like a great experience. Thanks for sharing it with us.

My pleasure!

(If only dealing with the NYC/NYS pistol licensing divisions were as pleasant!)

• TJ Ironhorse and NYC_Under_Dictatorship like this

#9 NYC_Under_Dictatorship

NYC_Under_Dictatorship

Respected Gunowner

• 177 posts
  • LocationEnslaved New Yorker

Posted September 18 2019 - 12:48 AM

For my CT Non-Resident CCW Permit i needed to provide phase 1 and 2 NRA certificates in 2018.

#10 MOTORIDER61

MOTORIDER61

Respected Gunowner

• 153 posts
  • LocationSHIRLEY

Posted March 03 2020 - 05:04 PM

So I just received my Application. Do anyone know if a Nys 47 hours course certificate. Would be good instead on the Basic NRA course. Thank you
  • Fully loaded and NYC_Under_Dictatorship like this

#11 vfrday

vfrday

Respected Gunowner

• 130 posts

Posted March 03 2020 - 05:57 PM

I'm looking to get the CT non resident permit too. I would need to do the class so any info would be appreciated

#12 NYC_Under_Dictatorship

NYC_Under_Dictatorship

Respected Gunowner

• 177 posts

Posted March 03 2020 - 08:06 PM

I'm looking to get the CT non resident permit too. I would need to do the class so any info would be appreciated

Check here and choose PISTOL: "NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting - Blended" and find a near by nra instructor offering blended.. I did mine at "gunforhire" for 

https://www.nrainstr...org/search.aspx

EDIT..

https://nra.yourlearningportal.com/

https://nra.yourlear...Pistol-Shooting

Self Learning Module Completed

To register for this course you must have completed the Self Learning Module available at https://nra.yourlearningportal.com/. Upon successful completion of this module and you print your certificate, your Personal Identification Number(PIN) is activated at that point. You must use that PIN and the email address used when registering for the Self learning Module to sign up for this course.

• vfrday likes this

#13 NYC_Under_Dictatorship

NYC_Under_Dictatorship

Respected Gunowner

• 177 posts

Posted March 03 2020 - 08:09 PM

So I just received my Application. Do anyone know if a Nys 47 hours course certificate. Would be good instead on the Basic NRA course. Thank you

Thats a good question. If i was CT as the "STATE" "We the State choose 47 hours over NRA blended. Give them a call tomorrow using the number on their application..

#14 moskojo

moskojo

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 396 posts
  • LocationRoslyn Heights

Posted March 03 2020 - 09:05 PM

Check here and choose PISTOL: "NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting - Blended" and find a near by nra instructor offering blended.. I did mine at "gunforhire" for 

https://www.nrainstr...org/search.aspx

EDIT..

https://nra.yourlearningportal.com/

https://nra.yourlear...Pistol-Shooting

Self Learning Module Completed

To register for this course you must have completed the Self Learning Module available at https://nra.yourlearningportal.com/. Upon successful completion of this module and you print your certificate, your Personal Identification Number(PIN) is activated at that point. You must use that PIN and the email address used when registering for the Self learning Module to sign up for this course.

I went to the website and did a search for instructor led courses. I live in western Nassa (Roslyn Has). The search came up with NO RESUKLTS for a radius of 500 miles!

#15 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted March 03 2020 - 09:13 PM

For any questions with regards to acceptable proofs of handgun safetycerts I'd say try calling the CT state trooper licensing division directly

#16 NYC_Under_Dictatorship

NYC_Under_Dictatorship

Respected Gunowner

• 177 posts

Posted March 03 2020 - 09:39 PM

I went to the website and did a search for instructor led courses. I live in western Nassa (Roslyn Has). The search came up with NO RESUKLTS for a radius of 500 miles!

Wow! I see non in L.I using zip code 11514...

Call these people up tomorrow see if they still offering nra blended phase 2 live fire. They are located in Uniondale.

rfimediaevents

https://rfimediaeven...istol-shooting/

Attached Thumbnails

• NRA ZIPCODE.PNG

#17 NYC_Under_Dictatorship

NYC_Under_Dictatorship

Respected Gunowner

• 177 posts

Posted March 03 2020 - 09:45 PM

Found something that might interest you...

http://www.phase3tra...ourse-calendar/

#18 Fully loaded

Fully loaded

Respected Gunowner

• 139 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 04 2020 - 04:07 AM

when I got my ct non res a few years back they sent me back my completed application with a letter stating I needed a ct approved instructor for my training course so I googled and found this guy Lou eden from con-fire LLC, drove to ct and did the class at his house, I was the only one there lol, was a nice guy, anyway I did the course and resent all the paper work in and got permit a few months later. Also the permit is for concealed AND open carry which I did not know at the time
  • Mr. Shotgun likes this

#19 Fully loaded

Fully loaded

Respected Gunowner

• 139 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 04 2020 - 04:01 AM

#20 vfrday

vfrday

Respected Gunowner

• 130 posts

Posted March 04 2020 - 03:45 PM

thanks for all the replys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users