Springfield M1A and NY Safe Act Compliance - Semi-Auto [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Springfield M1A and NY Safe Act Compliance

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1528 posts

Posted February 27 2019 - 02:53 PM

I seem to have been bitten by the gun bug again....

I no longer own my bolt action .308 so was looking to add one in semi auto to my collection.

Although not a .308, I already own 2 - 7.62x39mm Saigas IZ-132s (one still in the plastic wrap lol) and I love that rifle and find the recoil very manageable.

So I am looking at the M1A.  There is a NY SAFE compliant version online for $1400-$1500 which comes with the longer barrel.  I am more interested in a shorter barrel:

4044_2.jpg

Campsite has a modified to be compliant version on their site for $1800 where they weld the muzzle brake with a cap (not interested in a fixed mag but that is an option):

large_4578_1.jpg

Dank27 (poster here) put this sexy evil stock on his.  Would it be considered a pistol grip and therefore not be SAFE compliant if I kept the detachable mag?

https://www.longisla...pringfield +m1a

post-14731-0-35628900-1462311600_thumb.j

A few questions:

1) Am I better off going with the NY version for $400 less or see if Campsite is still modifying? 

2) Would adding that stock in the last pic cause me any compliance issues?  I would want the stock in the last pic regardless (not sure how much that costs).

3) What kind of recoil can I expect from a semi-auto .308 vs a 7.62x39mm?  I have to say the .308 bolt (Remington) was not fun at all after a while.

4) Any other .308 semi autos I should consider?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6292 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted February 28 2019 - 07:22 AM

A few questions:

1) Am I better off going with the NY version for $400 less or see if Campsite is still modifying? That's a personal choice, which only you can make.

2) Would adding that stock in the last pic cause me any compliance issues?  I would want the stock in the last pic regardless (not sure how much that costs). It would NOT be NY compliant, with that stock.

3) What kind of recoil can I expect from a semi-auto .308 vs a 7.62x39mm? A bit more recoil.  I have to say the .308 bolt (Remington) was not fun at all after a while. The M1A has a bit less recoil than bolt .308s but more than an AK.

4) Any other .308 semi autos I should consider? There are many but, if you want the best quality, a Springfield M1A, in match grade, is the best there is.

Gary

#3 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• 1528 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 09:01 AM

A few questions:

1) Am I better off going with the NY version for $400 less or see if Campsite is still modifying? That's a personal choice, which only you can make.
2) Would adding that stock in the last pic cause me any compliance issues? I would want the stock in the last pic regardless (not sure how much that costs). It would NOT be NY compliant, with that stock.
3) What kind of recoil can I expect from a semi-auto .308 vs a 7.62x39mm? A bit more recoil. I have to say the .308 bolt (Remington) was not fun at all after a while. The M1A has a bit less recoil than bolt .308s but more than an AK.
4) Any other .308 semi autos I should consider? There are many but, if you want the best quality, a Springfield M1A, in match grade, is the best there is.

Gary

Thanks Gary - appreciate the feedback.

Regarding the stock non compliance, I was thinking yesterday it is akin to a Thordsen stock. What is it about this one that makes it a pistol grip/no go?

One more qq: am I correct in that a semi-auto would have less recoil than a bolt in the same caliber (other things being equal)

#4 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11555 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 09:19 AM

The reality is, the stock is an unknown.

There is NO case law on it, there is NO clarification from the State.....    Many others agree however that it is a Conventional stock, in that the buttstock is connected via the base of the wrist/grip portion.

• grifhunter and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#5 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 3032 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 10:01 AM

Guys, how do you see that as a pistol grip stock?  It's a pretty standard target profile stock.

• grifhunter and Parashooter like this

#6 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• 1528 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 10:05 AM

Thanks. This looks like one of those gray areas. Prob not a good idea to be a test case...

The reality is, the stock is an unknown.

There is NO case law on it, there is NO clarification from the State..... Many others agree however that it is a Conventional stock, in that the buttstock is connected via the base of the wrist/grip portion.

#7 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 3754 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 10:07 AM

Move...
  • gcloss likes this

#8 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1528 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 11:18 AM

Move...

One day...prob when I retire

#9 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• 1528 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 11:23 AM

Guys, how do you see that as a pistol grip stock? It's a pretty standard target profile stock.

Having transferred several firearms through you (thanks!), how would you feel if you got a transfer in this configuration?

Would it past compliance muster? Would it cause you to pause?

Despite the opinions here, I agree that it looks like any other target stock. Or the thorsen stocks. I am not willing to go to jail for years based on my opinion though.

#10 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Forum Sponsor

• 3032 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 12:22 PM

I'd transfer it.

It's not so far off of this, which is a classic target profile.

http://www.bellandca...ategory_ID=1109

or this:

https://www.google.c...ICLpJYB9-i2yVM:

-Vick

• Parashooter likes this

#11 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• 1528 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 12:39 PM

That seems like a reasonable argument :)

I'd transfer it.

It's not so far off of this, which is a classic target profile.

http://www.bellandca...ategory_ID=1109

or this:
https://www.google.c...ICLpJYB9-i2yVM:

-Vick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6292 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Gary - appreciate the feedback.

Regarding the stock non compliance, I was thinking yesterday it is akin to a Thordsen stock. What is it about this one that makes it a pistol grip/no go?

One more qq: am I correct in that a semi-auto would have less recoil than a bolt in the same caliber (other things being equal)

The stock appears to be adjustable. It's not the pistol grip issue. And, yes, all other things being equal, a semi has less recoil than a bolt, in the same caliber.

Gary

#13 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• 1528 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 03:19 PM

The stock appears to be adjustable. It's not the pistol grip issue. And, yes, all other things being equal, a semi has less recoil than a bolt, in the same caliber.
Gary

Ah -I didn’t consider that. I’ll have to investigate. Thanks.

#14 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Forum Sponsor

• 3032 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 08:50 PM

it's not adjustable stocks that are the problem, it's collapsible stocks.  This looks like a butt pad that goes in and out, not an entire stock that collapses or folds.

• Parashooter likes this

#15 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• 1528 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 10:21 PM

On the Springfield site it says the length is 45” - 46.25” for a model with that stock.

Would that not be considered adjustable?

I think of an AR adjustable stock that is required to be pinned because of its movement. Unless the length difference is by adding a pad?

Hopefully someone who owns one can chime in.

#16 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3754 posts

Posted February 28 2019 - 10:41 PM

Just to be clear, the NY law says...."folding or telescoping stock".

http://nyscriminalla...e265.htm#p26522

https://suffolklaw.c...t-firearms-law/

Edited by blue steel, February 28 2019 - 10:43 PM.

• Parashooter likes this

#17 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6292 posts

Posted March 01 2019 - 08:24 AM

it's not adjustable stocks that are the problem, it's collapsible stocks.  This looks like a butt pad that goes in and out, not an entire stock that collapses or folds.

Good point and, yes, a differentiation.

Gary

#18 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• 1528 posts

Posted April 18 2019 - 03:57 PM

Good point and, yes, a differentiation.

Gary

That said, do you believe an adjustable stock is ok per SAFE?

Unfortunately the law is about as clear as mud - which I am sure is intentional.

#19 Dakhath

Dakhath

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWestbury

Posted April 18 2019 - 08:06 PM

This just means you should keep the classic wood look!

#20 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• 1528 posts

Posted April 18 2019 - 10:42 PM

I’m a synthetic guy ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users