Ammo prices and local gun shops - Gun Stores & Gunsmiths - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Ammo prices and local gun shops

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jm7480

jm7480

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLI NY

Posted February 25 2019 - 08:33 PM

I like to support local business but I have noticed that there is a significant difference in the price of ammo between the local shops and either on line or out of state stores such as Cabela’s.

I was in Pennsylvania recently and noticed that either 124 or 115 grain brass FMJ brand name 9mm was going for anywhere between 16 and 20 cent a round . The same ammo was between 25 and 30 cent a round here in LI.

It doesn’t seem like a lot but that is $50 to $100 for every 1000 rounds and there are some of us that might use 1-2000 rounds per month if participating in competition.

It would be great if the local gun shops advertised some ammo specials or offered some discounts for bulk purchases. 

• ub3rgeek likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10996 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 26 2019 - 05:59 AM

I like to support local business but I have noticed that there is a significant difference in the price of ammo between the local shops and either on line or out of state stores such as Cabela’s.

I was in Pennsylvania recently and noticed that either 124 or 115 grain brass FMJ brand name 9mm was going for anywhere between 16 and 20 cent a round . The same ammo was between 25 and 30 cent a round here in LI.

It doesn’t seem like a lot but that is $50 to $100 for every 1000 rounds and there are some of us that might use 1-2000 rounds per month if participating in competition.

It would be great if the local gun shops advertised some ammo specials or offered some discounts for bulk purchases.

High Volume shooters buy in bulk or reload Ammunition to save money. The LGS can't compete with Big Box stores or internet.

#3 ub3rgeek

ub3rgeek

Respected Gunowner

• 104 posts
  • LocationNassau County, NY

Posted February 26 2019 - 06:15 AM

Targetsportsusa, discounts on bulk ammo.

LGS have overhead, they need to pay NYS taxes, cost of retail space. You can either support the LGS or save money. I’ll always buy what I ask about in a shop. They took the time to help, have the goods I’m interested in, they get the sale. But if I know I need something in bulk, I’ll order online.
  • Swstock and drewm2006 like this

#4 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• 758 posts

Posted March 22 2019 - 10:33 AM

Please remember that most on line folks charge shipping, etc., unless you hit them on a sale day.

That being said, I also want to support local people, but the disparity in price is huge.

As to "buy American" what does a package of 12 tighty whiteys made in China or close to China cost and what does the same 12 Made in America ones cost?

• JR79 likes this

#5 Dakhath

Dakhath

Respected Gunowner

• 187 posts
  • LocationWestbury

Posted March 22 2019 - 05:08 PM

As to "buy American" what does a package of 12 tighty whiteys made in China or close to China cost and what does the same 12 Made in America ones cost?

Save even more, go commando! :)

#6 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1663 posts

Posted March 22 2019 - 08:43 PM

If i have a question and you give me an answer then i owe you a sale.

If its something that i need no help with then im not paying a premium.
  • TJ Ironhorse likes this

#7 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member, Club LIF Member

• 1020 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 23 2019 - 02:31 PM

We sell 1,000 rounds of 9mm for $175.00

Brass, Magtech or S&B.

• NRATC53, Swstock, kardoc and 1 other like this

#8 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• 1250 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 23 2019 - 04:18 PM

Brass, Magtech or S&B.

Do you carry .45 Colt or .44 Spl?

#9 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 3746 posts

Posted March 23 2019 - 04:36 PM

Brass, Magtech or S&B.

Sounds like crazy question, but can you mix brands for that 1K ? Just to try diffferent ammo brands....

#10 jm7480

jm7480

Respected Gunowner

• 107 posts
  • LocationLI NY

Posted March 24 2019 - 05:46 AM

Brass, Magtech or S&B.

I really appreciate your response. It was direct and answered exactly my question.

On other online forums such as motorcycle  forums the advertisers and merchants always list specials and deals that may or may not be available to the general public but are posted for the purpose of bringing in forum users.

It is a two way street to allow the forum members to support the LGS and for the LGS to get new customers.

I thank Long Island Ammo for posting  and I will be making a purchase there.

Maybe some other LGS might follow their lead and post some specials or deals for US , the forum members.

#11 thedudes

thedudes

Gun Guru

• 603 posts
  • LocationEastern Suffolk

Posted March 24 2019 - 09:03 AM

LGS have overhead, they need to pay NYS taxes, cost of retail space. You can either support the LGS or save money. I’ll always buy what I ask about in a shop. They took the time to help, have the goods I’m interested in, they get the sale. But if I know I need something in bulk, I’ll order online.

Target Sports Prime, free shipping on any quantity and discounted prices beyond what is generally advertised. I just received this week 1000 rds of 9mm Remington UMC $155.48. Steel case as low as $138.
2 days and it was on my front step.
Living on the east end, it is way more time and cost effective to buy online.
My wife has a small business for 22 yrs and I try to buy local when it makes sense.
You guys up island at least have more choices.
  • killian and BigDaddy like this

#12 RoadRage

RoadRage

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 104 posts
  • LocationYaphank,NY

Posted March 24 2019 - 06:22 PM

I have been to LI Ammo. Very nice people. Nice collection of guns, ammo and accessories.

• NRATC53 likes this

#13 Strat688

Strat688

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5517 posts
  • LocationEast Setauket

Posted March 24 2019 - 08:19 PM

Walmart

#14 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 1020 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 25 2019 - 11:31 AM

Do you carry .45 Colt or .44 Spl?

We carry every caliber you are likely to shoot regularly, and some you don't. We have .44 magnum of course, .44 Special, .45 Colt.

There is always someone that wants .236 US Navy, .348 Winchester, or .38 Short Colt, and we don't have some of those obsolete calibers.

#15 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10996 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 25 2019 - 11:37 AM

We carry every caliber you are likely to shoot regularly, and some you don't. We have .44 magnum of course, .44 Special, .45 Colt.

There is always someone that wants .236 US Navy, .348 Winchester, or .38 Short Colt, and we don't have some of those obsolete calibers.

You have .45 G.A.P. in stock.

#16 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• 758 posts

Posted March 25 2019 - 12:55 PM

Save even more, go commando! :)

Only with a lot of fabric softener.

#17 anythinggood

anythinggood

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1538 posts

Posted March 27 2019 - 06:41 AM

any leads on fair priced lowers? Campsite has Anderson’s for 90 seems kinda high for a pony lower.

#18 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 1020 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 10 2019 - 04:26 PM

You have .45 G.A.P. in stock.

Yes, we have three choices at least.

Thanks for asking, sorry for the slow response, didn't see it sooner.

#19 -vanguard-

-vanguard-

Respected Gunowner

• 147 posts

Posted April 10 2019 - 05:06 PM

It seems local stores are charging .30 to .40 cents per 9mm 115g fmj brass. I understand supporting local business, but no way am I pay $17 for a box of blazer brass. When its $8 on target sports and ships free with 1000 rounds of anything. Thats just a rip off.

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#20 Old Glock guy

Old Glock guy

Sharp Shooter!

• 301 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted April 11 2019 - 04:33 PM

I second this, but I would definitely support LI Ammo if I were out that way.  Those are really good prices for an LGS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users