Suffolk man shoots down drone near his home. - Page 2 - Long Island Crimes - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Suffolk man shoots down drone near his home.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 ub3rgeek

ub3rgeek

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 105 posts
  • LocationNassau County, NY

Posted February 26 2019 - 06:20 AM

This drone is very light and pretty fragile. The propellers are made out of thin plastic that is very easy to break and breaking or severly damaging one propeller will disable the drone.The maximum allowable altitude for drones, unless otherwise authorized by the FAA, is 400 AGL. How high a drone has to be flown above private property has not been settled by the courts. There is an old case where the military had to pay compensation to a homeowner for low level flights (83 feet) above his property but a strict limit hasn't been established by the FAA other than anything above 500 AGL is navigable airspace. There is a regulation that you cannot fly over any part of a person without a special exemption.Unless this individual can demonstrate that the drone posed an immediate threat of death or serious injury I think he is up the creek on whatever charges there are for illegally discharging a firearm.

Well put. The property owner could have called the police about a drone flying over people, but it was in no way a self defense situation. Stupidity like this, just make the case for the gun grabbers. People need to think before they act.
  • 2edgesword, trapshooterbob, ProGodProGunProLife and 1 other like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4865 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted February 26 2019 - 08:39 AM

I would have used a sling shot

I would practice my vertical surfcasting.   Can do 70 yards at the beach.   I doubt that the drone was 250' feet up as well.

• KPvette likes this

#23 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 553 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted February 26 2019 - 08:55 AM

Would an air rifle, paint ball, or air soft gun have been ok to shoot the drone, if the drone were in your yard? Just curious.

#24 dr. glock

dr. glock

Respected Gunowner

• 117 posts

Posted February 26 2019 - 10:40 AM

Would an air rifle, paint ball, or air soft gun have been ok to shoot the drone, if the drone were in your yard? Just curious.

From what I read, there are 2 issues with shooting down a drone:

1. Damaging an aircraft (FAA rules discuss this, google for their decision made after a Kentucky man shot what seemed to be a peeping tom drone...Judge threw out the charges but that prompted FAA to establish their own guidelines)

2. Local ordinances regarding discharging firearms (it has been debated a lot here if this includes airsoft/paintball...I would say that back then everyone used them in the backyard, nowadays if you are lucky enough you have favorable town laws that allow you to shoot paintball with fencing and agreeable neighbors, and I certainly wouldn't push my luck shooting in the air). 

Unfortunately, there's no clear boundary as far as I know of what airspace is considered government and at what point it becomes an invasion of privacy/trespassing. Best advice would have been for the guy to get a video of the drone, and then call it in to the PD. At that point they can come up with a way to make the drone operator stop because of trespassing/no permit/local ordinances. 

This poor guy in Suffolk got all his long guns confiscated. Anyone know if he'll ever get them back?

#25 jm7480

jm7480

Respected Gunowner

• 107 posts
  • LocationLI NY

Posted February 26 2019 - 10:47 AM

Flying battle-bot might work

#26 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• 454 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted February 26 2019 - 10:57 AM

I would practice my vertical surfcasting.   Can do 70 yards at the beach.   I doubt that the drone was 250' feet up as well.

A well placed sinker or umbrella rig will fix that pesky drone.

#27 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4865 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted February 26 2019 - 11:13 AM

yup, no need to hit it, just loop some mono or even better, braid over it and reel it in !

#28 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25407 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted February 26 2019 - 11:50 AM

There must be some device that might be able to interfere with the signal.

#29 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7097 posts

Posted February 26 2019 - 01:10 PM

In addition to what dr. Glock said, if you hit the drone it may not necessarily come crashing straight down. It could end up crashing in your neighbor's yard doing damage to a person or property. In that case you might be held liable for the damage.

#30 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11064 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 26 2019 - 01:18 PM

In addition to what dr. Glock said, if you hit the drone it may not necessarily come crashing straight down. It could end up crashing in your neighbor's yard doing damage to a person or property. In that case you might be held liable for the damage.

It's Criminal Mischief.

#31 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 24586 posts

Posted February 26 2019 - 02:59 PM

Potato cannon firing a throw net

• 2edgesword likes this

#32 iGreg

iGreg

Right-wing Sith

• Donated Member
  • 6148 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted February 27 2019 - 03:53 AM

Edited by iGreg, February 27 2019 - 04:08 AM.

• 2edgesword likes this

#33 Lotust1

Lotust1

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 51 posts
  • Locationsuffolk county

Posted May 09 2020 - 02:52 PM

I don't see a self defense claim. 

ditto this.. lol 

#34 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2938 posts

Posted May 09 2020 - 10:13 PM

Water Canyon. 

#35 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3332 posts

Posted May 10 2020 - 10:43 AM

Drone on drone combat https://throwflame.c...ower-drone-kit/
  • baxtersmith likes this

#36 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• Topic Starter
  • 3332 posts

Posted May 10 2020 - 10:47 AM

After actually reading the article the evidence of nearby shot shells and him possessing multiple shotguns doesn't exactly make for a strong case against him. Now if there is video of him targeting the drone, or a confession I don't see anything that would be strong enough to convict anyone.

#37 iGreg

iGreg

Right-wing Sith

• Donated Member
  • 6148 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 10 2020 - 01:46 PM

I like the line about "eliminating any pests."

• baxtersmith likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users