New York City (NYC) Rifle/Shotgun Permit Process/Help 2019 - The Welcome Mat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

New York City (NYC) Rifle/Shotgun Permit Process/Help 2019

nyc rifle shotgun permit new york city shotgun pump action newbie new member first time rifle

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 nyc_newbie19

nyc_newbie19

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted February 19 2019 - 05:03 PM

Hello everyone. I am a New York City resident and a first time gun owner and Rifle/Shotgun (RS) permit holder. I've been relying on this forum and a few others (newyorkcityguns) for several months while going through the process of obtaining my RS permit. Now that I have gotten my permit and my first ever gun, I'd like to share my experience as best I can, and give whatever advice I can to help others who are having trouble navigating the permit process and/or the various different laws that NYC has, compared to the rest of the New York State.

So, I started this around September 2018. You can download the RS permit application PDF, that tells you all the documents you will need to apply. This includes: ss card, birth certificate, co-habitant approval form, person agreeing to safeguard firearms, affirmation of rules/law, arrest information, recent passport photos, drivers license, utility bill/proof of address.

The actual application is now ONLINE. Go to https://licensing.ny...pp-instruction/ to create an account and fill out all the information. I was told that I was among the first to be in the all-online applicants, so it would take a little longer because they had to load all the paper applicants into the system. All in all, it took about 4 months AFTER submitting my application to get my permit, which included 1 month after fingerprinting.

I live alone, so I typed that on the co-habitant form and scanned/uploaded it. I had my dad agree to safeguard my guns in case of my death/incapcitation and my mom was a witness to him signing. I got 4 passport photos from CVS and highlighted the date on the receipt  (that it was within 30 days) and scanned/uploaded it, had my arrest form notarized (ive never been arrested) scanned/uploaded. I scanned/uploaded all the above documents as well. After submitting the application (end of September), I got an email saying my fingerprinting was due by the end of December. I called about 2 weeks later for any updates. I heard nothing back, and when it was almost the end of December, I called again asking when I will get fingerprinted, and made an appointment to come in and be fingerprinted. It's possible I would have been fingerprinted earlier had I kept calling, but it is what it is. A few days later, I saw that my status on the site changed to "Investigation."

Two weeks after fingerprinting (mid-January 2019), I called the office again. I had left out that I received 2 CRIMINAL summonses (Pink sheets) YEARS ago. 1 of them was for being in a park at like 10pm. I wasn't even sure they were criminal, but apparently they are. I got a fine for the park one, and the other was for having pepper spray, no fine or record, I was in front of a judge for about 30 seconds, no record/no fine. But I didn't want them thinking I was concealing anything. I ended getting my investigator on the phone and she told me 2 summonses is nothing and that she wouldn't care unless it was like 12. She also said she made a note that I was being upfront and not failing to disclose anything or trying to hide anything. 2 weeks or so after that, on a Friday evening, I checked my status and saw "Approved"!!! The following Monday, they called me and told me I could pick up my permit. The next day, I come in, get my picture taken and one more fingerprint (just index). The woman at the front give me my Permit, and 3 Green Registration forms which is a Years worth of guns (at least 90 days per registration = 3 guns per year; more than 90 days if you mail it, which I did.

I think this is long enough for now. I will reply with the gun/ammunition laws I found in this thread and probably post separate threads on that as well.

• Kemposhot, nyc_dawg1997 and nyc_newbie19 like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 M_F

M_F

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 420 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted February 19 2019 - 05:10 PM

I'm curious why you received a summons for possesing pepper spray, it's perfectly legal to own even in NYC. I've seen a few pharmacies and gas stations selling them openly, you just have to be 18 and the store has to sign you in their log book. 

#3 nyc_newbie19

nyc_newbie19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted February 19 2019 - 05:18 PM

I got my first gun, a Mossberg 500 ATI Scorpion from South Shore Sportsman in Merrick. They filled out the Green form for me, included my NICS (background check) # and that it was a 5 ROUND capacity pump action gun. I wasn't sure about this gun because it has a pistol grip and telescoping stock, but after many calls/google searches, I spoke to an officer at the RS office who told me that all the "feature" laws only apply to SEMI-AUTO guns, and that pump/lever/bolt action can have any feature I want. 

The state allows one feature (i believe), but NYC does not allow ANY features on semi-autos. I scanned the bill of sale and green form, made a copy of my RS permit and mailed all of that to the RS office (as per the little instruction slip they gave me). I called to check if they got the registration, and they told me it could take 3 weeks for them to process it, but that if I have a copy of it (which i do), Im still good to go. However, in the future, i will definitely bring the forms to the office to get it registered on the spot, instead of waiting weeks with any degree of uncertainty.

I spoke to another officer at the office recently, because I want to order ammunition, and he confirmed for me, that 200 rounds is the legal limit for me to have in my home. I read a lot of conflicting rules about that as well.

#4 nyc_newbie19

nyc_newbie19

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted February 19 2019 - 05:31 PM

I'm curious why you received a summons for possesing pepper spray, it's perfectly legal to own even in NYC. I've seen a few pharmacies and gas stations selling them openly, you just have to be 18 and the store has to sign you in their log book. 

As far as I know it is perfectly legal to own pepper spray. It was a tiny 1/2 oz can that I got on ebay years before. I remember trying to order a stun gun on ebay, and it wouldn't let me, and showed Article 265 in NYC as the reason, but no issues with pepper spray. I got pulled over because I stupidly swerved around an undercover cop car that was driving like 10mph. I have a clean driving history, but it was one momentary act of impatience. The little can was in plain view under the center console and one of the cops ordered me to open the doors, and quickly grabbed it before I even knew what he was going for.  Like 2-3 months later (I can barely remember), I went to court, waited an hour for the judge. When it was my turn, he didnt even look at me, just said 60 days (or something) no record/fine and I was gone. one of those, after 60 days of no arrest/trouble and it goes away.

#5 Mak45

Mak45

Gun Guru

• 2385 posts

Posted February 19 2019 - 07:00 PM

The 200 rounds limit is correct.  It is a "NYC" fire code.

The limit is 200 rds in total (not in each caliber.)

• nyc_newbie19 likes this

#6 Kemposhot

Kemposhot

Respected Gunowner

• 290 posts

Posted February 19 2019 - 07:15 PM

Not sure what part of NYC you are in, but I’m in Brooklyn and use D & F brothers Sport on New Utrecht Avenue in Bensonhurst. Great store and the owner, Frank, is very knowledgeable about NYC gun laws and regulations.
  • kouzman and nyc_newbie19 like this

#7 M_F

M_F

Sharp Shooter!

• 420 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted February 19 2019 - 07:16 PM

As far as I know it is perfectly legal to own pepper spray. It was a tiny 1/2 oz can that I got on ebay years before. I remember trying to order a stun gun on ebay, and it wouldn't let me, and showed Article 265 in NYC as the reason, but no issues with pepper spray. I got pulled over because I stupidly swerved around an undercover cop car that was driving like 10mph. I have a clean driving history, but it was one momentary act of impatience. The little can was in plain view under the center console and one of the cops ordered me to open the doors, and quickly grabbed it before I even knew what he was going for.  Like 2-3 months later (I can barely remember), I went to court, waited an hour for the judge. When it was my turn, he didnt even look at me, just said 60 days (or something) no record/fine and I was gone. one of those, after 60 days of no arrest/trouble and it goes away.

But what was the offense/citation for the pepper spray? It shouldn't have been PL 265 because pepper spray is not listed as a "banned" weapon, your mistake was opening the door in the first place, NEVER do that, especially in your own car and home. 

#8 M_F

M_F

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 420 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted February 19 2019 - 07:17 PM

The 200 rounds limit is correct.  It is a "NYC" fire code.

The limit is 200 rds in total (not in each caliber.)

There is conflicting information if it applies to individuals or businesses. 

https://nyfirearms.c...nformation.html

#9 nyc_newbie19

nyc_newbie19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted February 19 2019 - 07:28 PM

Not sure what part of NYC you are in, but I’m in Brooklyn and use D & F brothers Sport on New Utrecht Avenue in Bensonhurst. Great store and the owner, Frank, is very knowledgeable about NYC gun laws and regulations.

I did actually check his store out first, but he didn't have the gun I wanted. I will definitely do business with him in the future though. He also told me not to sweat the pistol grip on a pump, that it only applies to semi-autos. I called the Seneca Sporting range, and that guy told me ALL pistol grips are banned, and that I risk arrest if the NYPD comes to my house and sees my gun. I found the NY admin code, section 10-301. it only talks about semi-autos. I also recorded my conversation with the cop at the RS office telling me that pumps can have any feature. So if I do get arrested, I hopefully have something to show that the office itself misled me.

• Kemposhot likes this

#10 nyc_newbie19

nyc_newbie19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted February 19 2019 - 07:36 PM

I read this blog earlier. I called the Fire Department, the guy there told me they don't give storage permits to individuals and recommended I call the ATF. I called the ATF, they told me call the NY state police, they told me call the NYPD.....I got through to another cop at the RS office, he told me it's 200 rounds, asked if I live in an apartment or house, i said apartment, he went away to ask someone, came back said "yea, 200 rounds".

I found Title 38 Chapter 1 Dealers in Rifles and shotguns and found this line "Storage permit. The term "storage permit" shall mean the permit for the storage of more than two hundred (200) rounds of ammunition issued by the Fire Commissioner."  So, i guess you only a permit for OVER 200 rounds.

I spoke to Volko Supply in Garden City. It's $10 for me to ship ammo to them (because no bulk online site ships to NYC). For now, 200 or less rounds is more than enough for me.

#11 nyc_newbie19

nyc_newbie19

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted February 19 2019 - 07:43 PM

But what was the offense/citation for the pepper spray? It shouldn't have been PL 265 because pepper spray is not listed as a "banned" weapon, your mistake was opening the door in the first place, NEVER do that, especially in your own car and home. 

I found it. 10-131(e).  https://www.newyorkc...ans_items_that/

I remember saying 'i don't consent to a search' or something close to that, but given how trigger happy some cops are......better to fight in court than try to convince cops on the street that you aren't doing anything wrong.

#12 OceansideHKfan

OceansideHKfan

Respected Gunowner

• 169 posts
  • LocationNassau, County NY

Posted February 19 2019 - 07:53 PM

Fire code my a$$. More BS controls on the law abiding and not the criminal. Guess fire isn't a concern outside of NYC right?  Would not even be feasible for 200 rounds for every caliber owned. I could put 200 rounds of .22 in my pocket. Ridiculous. Glad I left the city. Working on the state.

• a7vette2 likes this

#13 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6511 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted February 20 2019 - 10:37 AM

Yep, when I applied for my Pistol License, I had a couple of those Pink Ticket summonses, from my Bensonhurst, Brooklyn “Teen” days, both $25 fines (Drinking a beer in the park) and walking on the catwalk (F Train 18th Ave to Ave I), from the early 1980s. A friend of mine in the NYPD said they are nothing, no need to list them, but my better side said list them. I told my investigator, and she said you are lucky you listed them, NEVER listed to a cop for advice on these matters ;) she said I would have need denied if I did not, funny thing is she knew my friend from her kid days, as she was from the same area as my friend in Queens. I do not remember these as a requirement when I had my NYC rifle shotgun permit back in the late 80s, early 90s, took like a week back then to get it.
  • pequa1 likes this

#14 Mak45

Mak45

Gun Guru

• 2385 posts

Posted February 20 2019 - 12:33 PM

I lived in NYC +20yrs & held a license while there.  

https://www.google.c...q0go3BYCKQTzLeu

"AMMUNITION You may not possess more than a total of 200 rounds of ammunition in your premises. Not 200 rounds of a certain caliber, not 200 rounds for each gun. Your TOTAL round count for ALL ammunition in your premises may not exceed 200 rounds. This is true for those with carry permits as well as premise permits. This is a NY Fire Department regulation."

Fire code my a$$. More BS controls on the law abiding and not the criminal. Guess fire isn't a concern outside of NYC right?  Would not even be feasible for 200 rounds for every caliber owned. I could put 200 rounds of .22 in my pocket. Ridiculous. Glad I left the city. Working on the state.

I don't think any of the liberal politicians cared about how many rounds a guy need in each caliber when NYC made that rule. 

NYC has a totally difference set of "Rules".  Everything from 5rd limit in rifles/shotguns to limited ammunition storage. NYC is full of anti-gun liberals. If it was up to them, they wouldn't let you own any guns. You read about it in the news all the time, guy in NYC arrested with guns and cache of ammunition.

NYC is bad, Long Island is slightly better, but you still can't get a CCW permit on L.I.  like many Upstate areas. Gun owners from Upstate are always referring to how they hate downstate (including L.I.)   I left NYC a while ago. Now I can't wait to leave NYS.

#15 nyc_dawg1997

nyc_dawg1997

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1139 posts

Posted February 20 2019 - 10:24 PM

Congrats on you purchase, love Mossberg.  Used to live in the city all my life, moved to Nassau recently .... slightly better paperwork process compare to the city. I think they designed the system purposely to discourage most people to even filling out the paperwork, getting references with notary ... etc. 

With Shotgun, 200 rounds are plenty, you can always pick up on the way to the range or have someone buy and meet at the range. 

Ever try trap/skeet shooting?  =) it's fun. 

• Mak45 likes this

#16 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4913 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted February 21 2019 - 08:42 AM

Never, ever listen to anyone's "advice" about not listing a long ago arrest for anything, sealed or unsealed, summons or violation !   The FBI expunges NOTHING from its records.   Submit any official paperwork with such an omission and you have lied on most forms, as they simply ask whether you have  ever been  arrested, not the disposition of the case.

#17 nyc_newbie19

nyc_newbie19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted February 24 2019 - 11:03 PM

Never, ever listen to anyone's "advice" about not listing a long ago arrest for anything, sealed or unsealed, summons or violation !   The FBI expunges NOTHING from its records.   Submit any official paperwork with such an omission and you have lied on most forms, as they simply ask whether you have  ever been  arrested, not the disposition of the case.

Ive never been arrested. but i wasnt 100% the summonses i got were "CRIMINAL", but they were, even though basically nothing came of them.

I just submitted my Handgun application. there was a part where i had to upload any court papers since I said i did have summonses. I uploaded a Word doc stating i never got any receipt or documentation from the courts, i just vaguely remember the details since they were years ago.

#18 nyc_newbie19

nyc_newbie19

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted February 24 2019 - 11:13 PM

Congrats on you purchase, love Mossberg.  Used to live in the city all my life, moved to Nassau recently .... slightly better paperwork process compare to the city. I think they designed the system purposely to discourage most people to even filling out the paperwork, getting references with notary ... etc. 

With Shotgun, 200 rounds are plenty, you can always pick up on the way to the range or have someone buy and meet at the range. 

Ever try trap/skeet shooting?  =) it's fun. 

I really REALLLY wanted to get a wood stock Remington 870, just because of the historical aspect of remington and old school wood on a gun. but i figured, 90 days per gun, might as well get a cooler one first, then work back to the classics.

#19 griffithjo

griffithjo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted June 08 2019 - 03:00 PM

Hello!    NYC resident here ... I just got fingerprinted for my NYC long gun permit, and hope to pick it up shortly.   But I'm a little puzzled about which rifles are legal to possess in NYC.     I'm looking at a Browning T-bolt in 17 HMR.     This is a bolt action rifle that comes out of the box with a 10-round magazine.     As far as I know,  no aftermarket 5-round magazines are available for the modern version of this gun.    

Is it legal to possess a bolt action rimfire rifle with a 10-round magazine in NYC? 

#20 M_F

M_F

Sharp Shooter!

• 420 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted June 08 2019 - 10:19 PM

Hello!    NYC resident here ... I just got fingerprinted for my NYC long gun permit, and hope to pick it up shortly.   But I'm a little puzzled about which rifles are legal to possess in NYC.     I'm looking at a Browning T-bolt in 17 HMR.     This is a bolt action rifle that comes out of the box with a 10-round magazine.     As far as I know,  no aftermarket 5-round magazines are available for the modern version of this gun.    

Is it legal to possess a bolt action rimfire rifle with a 10-round magazine in NYC? 

I suggest modifying/blocking at least one magazine down to a 5 round capacity yourself or through an FFL, and submit a "receipt" of the magazine work done with your registration. From what I've heard the tyrants at licensing division are semi autistic and may deny your rifle registration because it can hold more than 5 rounds. If you want to truly play by the rules if you can you may keep some 10 round magazines outside city limits. I'm not sure what the penalty is for having 10 round rifle magazines in deBlassio's communist kingdom but you want to avoid anything that may jeopardize your rifle permit. Good luck, let us know if you are successful in registering the Browining T-Bolt. 

• griffithjo likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nyc, rifle shotgun, permit, new york city, shotgun, pump action, newbie, new member, first time, rifle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users