'Zombie Deer' Disease - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

'Zombie Deer' Disease

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy958

jimmy958

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1737 posts

Posted February 12 2019 - 10:58 PM

"Chronic wasting disease, or CWD, has been reported in 24 states and two Canadian provinces.

It infects deer, elk and moose.

Some call it 'zombie deer disease' because of its symptoms.

There have been no reports of a human being infected."

Read more: https://weather.com/...reads-24-states

According to map in article, disease has been found in upstate New York.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 13 2019 - 06:14 AM

The Encon DEC has check points at rural roads and bridges checking hunters coming from Pennsylvania during the deer hunting season. They confiscate the deer carcass and give a summons if caught.

#3 Orion

Orion

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 371 posts

Posted February 18 2019 - 08:33 AM

I am really hoping that this 'Cure Found' video is true!

https://ljsp.lwcdn.c...HDWadgfy043SGhI

#4 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3753 posts

Posted February 18 2019 - 11:30 AM

CWD has been around for at least 50 years. Prion diseases are not curable and there is no treatment. ZERO. They are like Ice 9. Doctors won't even touch a patient with CJD, the human equivalent, unless super precautions in place. Ebola is childs play compared to Prion diseases. Sorry for the hunters, but we are screwed.

#5 iGreg

iGreg

Right-wing Sith

• Donated Member
  • 6358 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted February 18 2019 - 03:21 PM

There have been no reports of a human being infected."

Yet.

#6 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3753 posts

Posted February 18 2019 - 03:55 PM

"Hunters should avoid eating meat from deer and elk that look sick or test positive for CWD. They should wear gloves when field-dressing carcasses, bone-out the meat from the animal, and minimize handling of brain and spinal cord tissues. As a precaution, hunters should avoid eating deer and elk tissues known to harbor the CWD agent (e.g., brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils, lymph nodes) from areas where CWD has been identified."

https://www.ncbi.nlm...84/#!po=1.16279

As noted above, folks should abandon old timey harvesting of meat techniques. Google how to carve the meat you want off the bone. Don't section carcas thru the spine. And think hard about sawing thru the skull for antlers. Field dressing the animal should leave intact animal frame and all internal organs. Just take out meat, absolutely no bones.

Edited by blue steel, February 18 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#7 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.

• Club LIF Member
  • 6236 posts

Posted February 18 2019 - 11:03 PM

Hmmm... how does this affect antlers? Wondering because many are uses as chews for dogs.

#8 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.

• Club LIF Member
  • 6236 posts

Posted February 18 2019 - 11:36 PM

Just saw this...
https://www.bowhunti...has-been-found/

#9 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted February 19 2019 - 08:30 AM

CWD has been around for at least 50 years. Prion diseases are not curable and there is no treatment. ZERO. They are like Ice 9. Doctors won't even touch a patient with CJD, the human equivalent, unless super precautions in place. Ebola is childs play compared to Prion diseases. Sorry for the hunters, but we are screwed.

Please don't tell me that for my meal of red meat I have to go back to domestic animals loaded up with hormones, steroids, antibiotics, fed with God knows what, and full of cholesterol-making fats !

#10 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3753 posts

Posted February 19 2019 - 09:36 AM

Please don't tell me that for my meal of red meat I have to go back to domestic animals loaded up with hormones, steroids, antibiotics, fed with God knows what, and full of cholesterol-making fats !

Organic beans.....lots of beans...more beans...

Edited by blue steel, February 19 2019 - 09:37 AM.

• rlitman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users