Moose Hunt in Newfoundland Canada - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Moose Hunt in Newfoundland Canada

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2962 posts

Posted February 11 2019 - 03:06 PM

No Canadian bashing.     

Newfoundland seems to be the place to go for Moose.

I'm looking for a hunting partner to share the drive.

Sept 2019.

It's a 2 1/2 day drive, plus an overnight ferry.

Moose are big, and it's a big money trip.    About $5k for the guide.   Plus all the other assorted stuff.

Looking for someone to share the transportation, and expenses.

Lake Douglas is the outfitter.

It's a once in a life time trip for me..... and I'm doing it before i get any older.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 11 2019 - 03:57 PM

I hunted Anticosti Island, two guys at the lodge went solo on the trip. One guy was from California the other from The UP of Michigan. They tried to get a hunting buddy for the trip to cut the cost traveling the road. Sounds like a cool hunting trip. I hunted in September, Moose are huge animals.

#3 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 3753 posts

Posted February 11 2019 - 06:07 PM

Make sure you think out the taxidermy and agriculture stuff ahead of time. All the import paperwork etc. I like Jonas Brothers out of CO now. They used to be in Yonkers and did most of the Museum of Natural History back in the day. They have changed hands but still are top notch. Good hunting....

#4 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2962 posts

Posted February 11 2019 - 10:55 PM

If I fiy in, I'll find a taxi up there.    If I drive in, I'll use a local taxi to avoid the shipping home.

#5 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 12 2019 - 06:35 AM

If I fiy in, I'll find a taxi up there.    If I drive in, I'll use a local taxi to avoid the shipping home.

Just be prepared for people not speaking English, the French Canadian will yank ur chain. The one guy who was solo from the UP of Michigan was hysterical. He was expecting to get his full exchange using USD paying for his meal in the Coffee shop. The waitress said to him 20% gratuity charge. He felt like he was hustled out of his money.

#6 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2962 posts

Posted February 12 2019 - 09:03 AM

The solution to that is take Canadian currency, and use your CC whenever possible.

I have heard of nasty Canadian's... but never experienced it personally.    Most of them want tourist money... and treat tourist with respect.

#7 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 12 2019 - 09:09 AM

The solution to that is take Canadian currency, and use your CC whenever possible.
I have heard of nasty Canadian's... but never experienced it personally.    Most of them want tourist money... and treat tourist with respect.

The Maritimes has excellent hunting opportunities. It's a good value and you shouldn't experience a problem with the locals as they depend on tourist coming to hunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users