Range eye protection - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Range eye protection

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Patty O

Patty O

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 103 posts
  • LocationWantagh NY

Posted February 07 2019 - 06:13 PM

When shooting does anybody wear eye protection over prescription eyeglasses? Any brand recommendations from first hand experience? Thanks.

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted February 07 2019 - 06:25 PM

If tried two different brands. They were horrible.

I just use my regular glasses (which have polycarbonite lenses). 

This year I might treat myself and get a pair of prescription shooting glasses.

• Parashooter, Camaro45th and Patty O like this

#3 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 401 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted February 07 2019 - 07:27 PM

I bought a separate pair of oversized prescription, polycarbonate glasses with the transition lenses. Wanted shooting for in and outdoors. Very happy with them, so much, I’ve been wearing them daily.

They weren’t too expensive with VSP. I never liked putting glasses over glasses when working on cars or home. It was worth the extra cash instead of buying an expensive pair of clears and hating them anyway.

They work good too as they definitely have deflected plenty of spent .22lr casings.

Just my opinion
  • Patty O likes this

#4 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 07 2019 - 07:52 PM

If tried two different brands. They were horrible.

I just use my regular glasses (which have polycarbonite lenses).

This year I might treat myself and get a pair of prescription shooting glasses.

I have a pair of prescription glasses like you with the poly lenses. They work well.

I think I added the transition to the lenses as well for outdoor shooting.
  • LarryD23 and Patty O like this

#5 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2175 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted February 07 2019 - 10:22 PM

Different shooting activities have different eye protection needs.

Steel plates outdoors send back lots of splatter. Nothing comes back from the Nassau sand backstop. Revolvers can send sparks sideways.

For the shooting I do, my prescription lenses are sufficient, but that’s not going to cut it for other activities.
  • ProGodProGunProLife and Patty O like this

#6 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6264 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted February 08 2019 - 08:03 AM

When shooting does anybody wear eye protection over prescription eyeglasses? Any brand recommendations from first hand experience? Thanks.

Patrick

Patrick:

Today, if you're wearing prescription lenses, they have all been converted to shatter-proof poly. The days of glass lenses are long gone. As long as your glasses are large enough to protect your eyes, you should be fine.

Gary

#7 Patty O

Patty O

Respected Gunowner

• 103 posts
  • LocationWantagh NY

Posted February 08 2019 - 09:02 AM

Patrick:
Today, if you're wearing prescription lenses, they have all been converted to shatter-proof poly. The days of glass lenses are long gone. As long as your glasses are large enough to protect your eyes, you should be fine.
Gary

Thank you. I have poly lenses but wasn't sure if that would be good enough to meet club requirements on meeting night. I like The TalonGuy's idea of having an "oversized" pair of glasses just for shooting.

#8 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2175 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted February 08 2019 - 11:05 AM

Patrick:

Gary

Plastic lenses are no guarantee of being shatter-proof.  In fact, some types of plastic spall (in ways that can send chunks out towards your eyes) more easily than glass.

Polycarbonate lenses are generally considered shatter-proof, but make up a minority of plastic lenses sold today.  Partly because they're so prone to scratching, but also because they stress crack.

#9 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6264 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted February 08 2019 - 01:34 PM

Plastic lenses are no guarantee of being shatter-proof.  In fact, some types of plastic spall (in ways that can send chunks out towards your eyes) more easily than glass.

Polycarbonate lenses are generally considered shatter-proof, but make up a minority of plastic lenses sold today.  Partly because they're so prone to scratching, but also because they stress crack.

Interesting. My Optometrist, who is also a shooter, tells me that, today, all prescription eyeglasses are shatterproof.

Gary

#10 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2175 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted February 08 2019 - 02:33 PM

Interesting. My Optometrist, who is also a shooter, tells me that, today, all prescription eyeglasses are shatterproof.

Gary

Not a chance, though it may be possible that's all he sells.  

https://www.allabout...es/polycarb.htm

"Both polycarbonate and Trivex lenses are thinner and lighter than regular plastic lenses."

That alone kind of implies that neither polycarbonate nor Trivex are regular plastic lenses.

My current lenses are actually Trivex.  Previously I had polycarbonate lenses, and they developed stress cracks around the pin holes in my frameless lenses.  Trivex doesn't stress crack.  While that link above says "Polycarbonate and Trivex lenses have comparable impact resistance", that's not the whole story.  Both polycarbonate and Trivex in their natural state are shatter proof.  However, Trivex can shatter around stress risers (while polycarbonate will not), and those stress risers can arise from an impact, due to cracking of the hard surface coating used to prevent scratching.  Basically, while Trivex is far less likely to shatter than CR39 plastic, it isn't actually truly shatter proof.

• Patty O likes this

#11 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3753 posts

Posted February 09 2019 - 08:33 AM

Glasses have to meet a shatter std that has nothing to do with guns or shooting. It is meant to assure that if you drop them thwy wont break.

Polycarb lenses come in varing thicknesses. Thicker is better for shooting eye protection. CR39 is the other type of plastic lens. It is less expensive but softer and scratches easily.

Go with SHOOTING POLYCARB lens. Check out ESS they have really good eyeglasses. Used by the military. And like guns and optics, buy quality cause they will last 10 years so cost per year is really nothing.

BTW some gun trainers wont let you on the range without wrap around glasses.
  • Patty O likes this

#12 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 09 2019 - 09:12 AM

Wiley X makes good products as well.

#13 MikeM

MikeM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1647 posts
  • LocationEast Northport

Posted February 09 2019 - 11:28 AM

Prescription glasses may be shatterproof but they are very expensive to replace.  Years ago my shooting coach who was all so my Pekiti tirsia instructor recommended these and they have held up since 2013.  They have been hit with casings at the range, sticks and knives on the mats.  They also let your face breath and don't fog up.

Bangerz Over-the-Glasses Eyeguard - Clear

#14 jm7480

jm7480

Respected Gunowner

• 107 posts
  • LocationLI NY

Posted February 09 2019 - 12:03 PM

Safety glasses  work great

• Camaro45th likes this

#15 Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Respected Gunowner

• 157 posts

Posted February 09 2019 - 04:47 PM

Oakley gets my vote.

https://www.safetygl...and-clear-lens/

• frank57 likes this

#16 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3753 posts

Posted February 09 2019 - 07:24 PM

FYI...Oakley is a big dog in the eyewear market. They own a whole bunch of brands including what I mentioned prior, ESS.

They have ballistic shields and models with prescription inserts. This model is what I use and had when I shot at Camp Perry Nationals. You can work with your Doc to get all sorts of Rx's for the insert. Remember its not just about empties hitting you, but richochets, once in lifetime exploding receivers and gases from cracked cases etc. Plus you get a set of shields in different colors, with other ones you can purchase.....

https://www.esseyepr...1_category.html
  • frank57 likes this

#17 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• 3251 posts

Posted February 09 2019 - 08:12 PM

I have been taking a number of classes involving steel plates and even windshields. So,Ive made the jump and ordered prescription wrap around shooting glasses from SportsRX. The Wiley X Gravity glasses that I ordered did not fit well so I'm having them replaced with Wiley X,Volce frames. Still waiting on the new glasses to arrive. I had wanted Oakleys but none of them work with my prescription. Only 3 Wiley X frames will work for me.

#18 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3753 posts

Posted February 09 2019 - 10:11 PM

I have been taking a number of classes involving steel plates and even windshields..... I had wanted Oakleys but none of them work with my prescription. Only 3 Wiley X frames will work for me.

Check out the link I posted...the insert on the ESS sits inside the shield and will accomodate ANY prescription you want. I wanted lenses for the front sight so I have that. But if you want as some do, with one lens for up close and one lens for distance you can do that. And you can get it filled by someone local. You dont need to have it done by ESS...

Edited by blue steel, February 09 2019 - 10:12 PM.

• frank57 likes this

#19 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2175 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted February 11 2019 - 11:35 AM

Glasses have to meet a shatter std that has nothing to do with guns or shooting. It is meant to assure that if you drop them thwy wont break.

Polycarb lenses come in varing thicknesses. Thicker is better for shooting eye protection. CR39 is the other type of plastic lens. It is less expensive but softer and scratches easily.

Go with SHOOTING POLYCARB lens. Check out ESS they have really good eyeglasses. Used by the military. And like guns and optics, buy quality cause they will last 10 years so cost per year is really nothing.

BTW some gun trainers wont let you on the range without wrap around glasses.

Shatter resistance absolutely has to do with shooting, and has absolutely nothing to do with dropping your glasses.  A steel ball is dropped on the lens from a height, and if the lens shatters, it means that pieces may get sent into your eyes if something impacts your glasses.  Look up the ANSI Z87.1 testing standards.

No, the thickness is not all that important, but thicker most certainly is not better.  Many Z87.1 safety lenses are far thinner than prescription lenses.

If you're shooting steel, or are around someone who is, you need wrap around protection.

#20 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3753 posts

Posted February 11 2019 - 01:28 PM

Shatter resistance absolutely has to do with shooting, and has absolutely nothing to do with dropping your glasses. A steel ball is dropped on the lens from a height, and if the lens shatters, it means that pieces may get sent into your eyes if something impacts your glasses. Look up the ANSI Z87.1 testing standards.

No, the thickness is not all that important, but thicker most certainly is not better. Many Z87.1 safety lenses are far thinner than prescription lenses.

If you're shooting steel, or are around someone who is, you need wrap around protection.

Wow....

Z80 std for glasses is what I was referring to, as this is what your lenscrafters spectacles meet. Also thickness does matter....

I refer you to this study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/8990340

Edited by blue steel, February 11 2019 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users