Need Undercoating Advice for RAM 1500 - 4X4 -Enjoy the offroad! / CB Radio Area - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Need Undercoating Advice for RAM 1500

undercoating ram 1500 winter road salt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted February 07 2019 - 02:36 PM

Need some advice on undercoating.  Want to get my 2016 RAM 1500 Crew Cab short bed undercoated (yeah, should have done it when it was new, but wasn't sure I was going to keep it).  I was going to just put it up on a lift and wirebrush and clean where I could, then put it out on jacks and ramps and spray the hell out of it.  But, seemed like a lot of work for what might be a low quality product (did not reseach whats out there to spray).  Any suggestions?  I call Rino North Shore - they want $445 plus tax, but they want me to clean it first.

Anyone have a suggestion that is durable? If I do the cleaning myslef, it will not be a 100% job (but if I get others to do it, can I expect better)?  Anyone here from Canada - I hear they all undercoat their vehicles...

Sidefact - truck is white, so if I half ass the undercoating, truck will no longer be white...

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 stuc

stuc

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 134 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted February 08 2019 - 08:57 AM

At this point I would not waste my time. You've already got moisture in the seams, and undercoating would just trap it there. If you want to go ahead there are a bunch of spray on and roll on products out there for diy. Raptorliner is one I used on the bottom of a car I restored and it worked well.

• boosti likes this

#3 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11553 posts

Posted February 08 2019 - 12:05 PM

The manufacturer will tell you there is no need..... everything should have been coated/sealed at the factory.

#4 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted February 08 2019 - 12:28 PM

The manufacturer will tell you there is no need..... everything should have been coated/sealed at the factory.

Yes, that would be nice.

Anyway...with rust already showing on much of the undercarriage, and MANY trucks (from many manufacturers) having either a reputation for rust (ehhhh...Dodge) or actual rust problems (ehhhh....Toyota) I'm trying to avoid problems.  

I know some things start off as habit/best practices, and then even when the problem is no longer a problem people continue to do what they always did (my uncle always changed oil every 3,000 miles - even LONG after he started using synthetic), but in this case, I think rust is still a problem and is not adequatly addressed by manufactureres.

That said, I noticed no one at the dealer offered to sell me undercoating...no recommendation, nada.  So maybe I would be doing more harm than good.  

I'm always up for doing less...

• Parashooter likes this

#5 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted February 08 2019 - 12:30 PM

...and to add more to ponder: Opinions on Fluid film (the stuff that smells like sheep piss)  - I put it on all my shop stuff to keep it from rusting.  The stink is bad, but zero rust.

#6 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11553 posts

Posted February 08 2019 - 07:35 PM

Yes, that would be nice.

Anyway...with rust already showing on much of the undercarriage, and MANY trucks (from many manufacturers) having either a reputation for rust (ehhhh...Dodge) or actual rust problems (ehhhh....Toyota) I'm trying to avoid problems.  

I know some things start off as habit/best practices, and then even when the problem is no longer a problem people continue to do what they always did (my uncle always changed oil every 3,000 miles - even LONG after he started using synthetic), but in this case, I think rust is still a problem and is not adequatly addressed by manufactureres.

That said, I noticed no one at the dealer offered to sell me undercoating...no recommendation, nada.  So maybe I would be doing more harm than good.  

I'm always up for doing less...

"Udercarriage" meaning?  the frame? or the underside of the body?.....  Either way, Undercoating won't help at this point - sealing in the rust only hides it while it continues to eat your metal.

Many years ago I was buying a Toyota - and when I was to pick it up, sitting in the finance office the bill is several thousand higher than agreed upon - their explanation? - Add-ons - They supposedly did an alarm system, window etching, undercoating/Rustproofing, etc.

I told them I never authorized ANY add-ons - since 1)The car had a factory alarm, 2) Undercoated & Rustproofed from the Factory, window etch? wasn't asked for (and wasn't even done!)     I made them remove the charges.... told them they were welcome to remove any added on items.....    Anyway, nothing had been added to the underbody to begin with (someone didn't know that I had the car up on a lift already.... oops.) 

Anyway - Toyota Trucks had/have a rust issue - and a recall.  They're replacing the entire chassis on my uncle's tacoma - $15,000 work for into a $7,000 truck LOL!

#7 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted February 08 2019 - 11:25 PM

Ahhh...I thought they only did the frame replace on the Tundras and offered abuyout on the Tacomas - but I only heard this story (back in 1990's I will still young enough to like low fast cars with no headroom, passenger room, or cargo room - so a Tacoma was nowhere on my radar).

Undercarriage = Frame (at least that's how I meant to use it)

I'm going to give either Fluid Film or Rust Bullet a try (two different things - havce not decided on which - Rust Bullet will look Very Ugly, and fluid film will be easier, so I lean toward that).  I'll take some pics and compare in a year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: undercoating, ram 1500, winter, road salt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users