Making duck decoys - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Making duck decoys

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ndtyank49

ndtyank49

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 551 posts
  • LocationEast Meadow

Posted February 04 2019 - 07:06 PM

Hello fellow waterfowl enthusiasts, I just finished cleaning and putting my duck decoys away for next season. I have always wanted to try making my own decoys and am looking for some help/advice/push in the right directions. I want to use them for hunting and saw online that you can make the whole decoy out of basswood, or a basswood cork combo. Looking forward to seeing what LIF has to offer in advice!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted February 04 2019 - 08:37 PM

Absolutely  Not that hard, cork/basswood works pretty well, the basswood gives some durability and helps make them float right. Older members of my family would "carve stool" (make decoys) when just sitting around as they do get lost and take a beating when used all the tme. Study some decoys and pictures of ducks, draw a few sketches and lay them out on your blocks before you start

#3 ndtyank49

ndtyank49

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 551 posts
  • LocationEast Meadow

Posted February 05 2019 - 10:36 AM

So do the whole thing in basswood or just the head in basswood and the body in cork?

#4 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted February 05 2019 - 10:42 AM

Head and a bottom plate in Basswood, the rest in cork

#5 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted February 05 2019 - 10:43 AM

The basswood retains your brass or stainless screw eyes better, and is heavier, so it sits upright better

#6 John L

John L

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1489 posts

Posted February 05 2019 - 11:45 AM

Look up South Shore Wraterfowlers they would have classes to get you started they have a wealth of knowledge on carving decoys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users