Nice tour of Freeport R&R - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Nice tour of Freeport R&R

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Patty O

Patty O

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 103 posts
  • LocationWantagh NY

Posted January 20 2019 - 03:04 PM

Got a nice tour of Freeport R&R this morning from one of their long-time members/ Range Officer.  Looks like a great place.  I’ve read most of the old posts about the club, but was hoping one of the members, new or old, could give some current insight into the club as most of the posts are several years old.  Are the members mostly Law Enforcement Officers? How crowded is the club? Many members with young children in the junior program? The online calendar for this month shows the range as being closed for blocks of time fairly regularly… are the ranges (indoor & outdoor) frequently not available?  How long is the average wait time? Can a new member easily get involved in the “little club” and practicing for tournaments?  Thanks in advance for any input.  

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 20 2019 - 04:40 PM

I went on that tour a couple years ago. I thought it was nice. I think it was only 6 points on the inside range.

Oddly enough, I got an email a few days ago from them telling me to make sure I paid my dues for the year....I never joined lol.

#3 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• 565 posts

Posted January 20 2019 - 05:06 PM

The Freeport R&R Club is great, I have happily been a member there for about 28 years now and highly recommend it. I know of several members that are retired LEO, but highly doubt they are in the majority. Either the indoor or the outdoor sections of the range are sometimes closed for specific events, although typically the other area is kept open for use. For instance, in the past various police departments have had training sessions there at the outdoor section, but in my experience the indoor portion has usually been open during this time. Most of these events are scheduled in advance, and written on the calendar posted on the wall and probably on the website as well.

I have a child currently in the Junior program, and it is an excellent one at that. I'd love to see it expand further, and inspire other clubs to start similar programs. From what i have observed, several of the junior members' parents are themselves Freeport members. The Junior program shoots on Sundays 2pm-6pm, and while they have the indoor range reserved for the kids during this time regular members are allowed to use the outdoor range and shoot at steel plates hung by the range officers. I've never run into a situation whereby I had to wait for someone else to finish before I could shoot; I don't even ever recall experiencing this in the indoor section.

• baxtersmith, Patty O and jm7480 like this

#4 jm7480

jm7480

Respected Gunowner

• 107 posts
  • LocationLI NY

Posted January 20 2019 - 10:36 PM

It is a great club, my child is also a Jr member and is enjoying the program that they have. I like the fact that it is a 24 hr club and I can go whenever I want . Yes there are some times that it is closed for an event but that is only a few hours a week. I went down this evening about 7 PM and I was only there with my son. This is not uncommon . I have been at the range at 830 AM and at 10 PM among other times and had the whole facility either to myself or with 1 or 2 other members.

It is very easy to get involved in the little club.

• baxtersmith and Patty O like this

#5 Prtforums

Prtforums

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 252 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 20 2019 - 10:40 PM

My wife and I joined last fall and just renewed. We have two girls in the junior program. It is well run by good coaches who enjoy teaching the kids.

I have never had to wait for the indoor range usually it is less than half occupied. I usually go after 6 pm on weeknights. I have not used the outdoor range much but have done 22 rifle and 9 mm at the steel targets. There are a few times the outdoor range is unavailable and busy with events (many Saturday and Sunday mornings) I just never need to use it at those times.

My only gripe on the indoor range is the minimum distance of 7 yards and not being able to use a 9 mm carbine riffle.
  • baxtersmith, Camaro45th and Patty O like this

#6 Patty O

Patty O

Respected Gunowner

• 103 posts
  • LocationWantagh NY

Posted January 21 2019 - 01:09 PM

"I know of several members that are retired LEO, but highly doubt they are in the majority".

Thanks for the feedback Minuteman1970. I figured with the Freeport PBA attached that most members would have been LEO.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

#7 smallcigar

smallcigar

Respected Gunowner

• 106 posts

Posted January 22 2019 - 08:48 AM

For those of you who have kids in the junior program, how old are they? At what age did you start them in the program?
  • Camaro45th and Patty O like this

#8 Roufus

Roufus

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty.

Posted January 22 2019 - 04:54 PM

My wife and I joined last fall and just renewed. We have two girls in the junior program. It is well run by good coaches who enjoy teaching the kids.

I have never had to wait for the indoor range usually it is less than half occupied. I usually go after 6 pm on weeknights. I have not used the outdoor range much but have done 22 rifle and 9 mm at the steel targets. There are a few times the outdoor range is unavailable and busy with events (many Saturday and Sunday mornings) I just never need to use it at those times.

My only gripe on the indoor range is the minimum distance of 7 yards and not being able to use a 9 mm carbine riffle.

Is your wife comfortable there? We went for a tour and my wife was the only female in the place. Didn't seem sociable to her.

#9 Patty O

Patty O

Respected Gunowner

• 103 posts
  • LocationWantagh NY

Posted January 22 2019 - 05:11 PM

For those of you who have kids in the junior program, how old are they? At what age did you start them in the program?

Even if you don't have kids in that program but can let us know if it's popular enough to be a constantly run program or not. I would think there might have to be a minimum number of participants...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

#10 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Gun Guru

• 565 posts

Posted January 22 2019 - 06:41 PM

I started my child in the Junior program at age 8. I was told they allow as young as 6 and even 'age 5 if well behaved'.

I asked recently and was told at least 40 kids enrolled in the program this season, and there was a new participant safety orientation class given after I asked so I am thinking the number is likely closer to 50 kids.

Regarding women members, I've noticed what to me seems like a growing number of women becoming members shooting there over the years. A few are even involved in various competitions.

#11 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 3032 posts

Posted January 22 2019 - 07:38 PM

Is your wife comfortable there? We went for a tour and my wife was the only female in the place. Didn't seem sociable to her.

Freeport has more female members than Roslyn and probably more than Peconic.

That being said it's becoming a more popular sport for women.  Also shooting is one of the sports where men and women can compete on equal ground.  I know plenty of female shooters that can hold harder than woodpecker lips.

@roufus if you want PM me and I can put you in touch with two of the female competitors I know at freeport.  They are both great people.

#12 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 3032 posts

Posted January 22 2019 - 07:39 PM

ohh and random sidenote, but a female freeport junior went to the olympics for smallbore.  Just saying.  She used to kick my ass in high school.

#13 Prtforums

Prtforums

Respected Gunowner

• 252 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 22 2019 - 08:55 PM

This is prtforums’ wife. I feel completely comfortable at FR&R. My only con is that I can’t reach the target hanger without flipping the bench up or having my husband hang it for me. I’m only 5’2”. I have had a good experience in the indoor range since it’s better lit than Mitchell Field.

If your wife is searching for a more social setting for women, she should consider joining The Well Armed Woman (LI Chapter), the group meets once a month to shoot together, both rifle and pistol (for those with pistol licenses). The meetings are at Mitchell Field during much of the year and out at Brookhaven during the summer months.
  • VolkoSupply likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users