Showing some love for Benson's & Medford Range - Gun Stores & Gunsmiths - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Showing some love for Benson's & Medford Range

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 noodlestsc

noodlestsc

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted December 11 2018 - 11:57 AM

I always like to give praise and good reviews when they are due (and well bad reviews too when they are called for) so I figured I share my recent experiences with Benson's and Medford Shooting Range.

My first time at Benson's was two weeks ago to do a handgun transfer to me from a coworker of mine.  A couple of customers were being helped so while I was waiting, I browsed the hardware in the store.  To me, the store was stocked very well.  Didn't have to wait long until it was my turn up at the counter.  The two guys I dealt with behind the counter were nice enough, straight to the point with the paperwork, some small talk about the guns being transferred, etc.  To quote Shawshank Redemption "Easy Peezy Japanesey"  The process was quick and painless, $10 per gun.

Second time going to Benson's was to pick up said guns (a different day because I couldn't do the Yaphank shuffle the first day due to it being the weekend).  Second visit was just as quick and easy as the first.  I got there when they opened up, was helped by a nice woman and walked out the door with the guns in about 10 minutes.

While I was there both times, I happened to see another gun in their case I have been eyeing up (a Ruger LC9S Pro) with the price point comparable to anyplace online I have seen it.  So I went back this past Friday and bought it.  That transaction was also easy and the employee I dealt with was great.  So I guess for Thanksgiving they had a deal going on for 2 hours free at Medford with the purchase of a gun.  The flyer on the register said until 11/29 or something like that but I bought the gun on 12/7.  They also were running a deal on the same flyer for Annual membership at $150 instead of the $220(?).  I've never been to Medford, but have been looking into places to go shooting during the week in the evenings (since my wife works nights anyway) and especially during the winter when Calverton is out of the question.  So I told the employee that I was possibly interested in the membership but have never been there so before I make a commitment could he hook me up with the (2) hourly passes and if I like the place would he honor the discounted membership.  The answer was yes to both, not even a rude look on his face.  I call that great customer service.

So now on to Medford Shooting Range.  I went there last night (a Monday night).  Walk in and there were two guys behind the counter and a couple of regulars hanging out from what it seemed.  Joked around with the guy behind the counter (who I've always heard through other's reviews can be a wise-cracking character), and even jumped into a conversation with the regulars who were talking about an AR build (since I built mine).  Fast forward to range time, for the first 30min I was by myself in the range. I'm assuming maybe because it was a weeknight (not going to lie, that was real nice).  To me the range was great.  No frills, but a completely perfect place to put up targets and put holes through those targets.  Lighting was good, not too bright and not too dim.  For the last 30min I had 2 other people in the range with me and someone giving them some instructions.  Still, the atmosphere was great.  Ventilation was perfectly adequate last night, but I won't comment on that further, obviously because it was my only time there and 3 people shooting is different then a full range.

Browsing reviews online and you get so many different opinions, good and bad.  I have seen some bad reviews about both of these places, so I wanted to chime in on my very positive experience at both.

• 2edgesword and Gary_Hungerford like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 a7vette2

a7vette2

Gun Guru

• 844 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted December 11 2018 - 12:30 PM

I have been going to Bensons shooting range for quite some time. (I am a member) Your description of the range is spot on. I used to go to Bensons store but had a bad experience with a know-it-all salesman. I wanted a Sig P226 MK 25 and he told me that the only ones that could be sold in NY are the CA compliant models. Wrong. When I told him that the only requirement for NY was the 10 round mag capacity he got really belligerent and told me he would to have to have the owner call me. That was 2 years ago. I am still waiting for a call. BTW, I purchased the model that he told me wasn't available in NY at Campsite. I guess it just depends on which sales person you get. 

#3 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 7202 posts

Posted December 12 2018 - 11:21 AM

Good to hear a good report when people are doing it right.

#4 noodlestsc

noodlestsc

Respected Gunowner

• 227 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted December 13 2018 - 08:47 AM

I have been going to Bensons shooting range for quite some time. (I am a member) 

Well I can now say I am a member also.  Merry Christmas to me, Benson's gave me the black friday deal for the annual membership.

• a7vette2 likes this

#5 a7vette2

a7vette2

Gun Guru

• 844 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted December 13 2018 - 12:06 PM

Nice! I just got back from there. We should meet up some time.

#6 Kemposhot

Kemposhot

Respected Gunowner

• 287 posts

Posted December 13 2018 - 12:42 PM

Ive never been to Bensons, but Medford Shooting Range has always been a home run in my book. The staff, and the facility are great, along with the price. I do 90% of my shooting there.
  • TheKnot likes this

#7 Range Time

Range Time

Respected Gunowner

• 227 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted December 13 2018 - 10:33 PM

The Medford range is good for want it is, and for a long time it was the only place on the Island to rent handguns. The three guys who work there are salt-of-the-Earth types, and they are usually happy to joke around with people.

Bensons it a decent gun store, and you can't beat the $10 transfers (except at Camp-site if you are buying $75 of other stuff anyway).

#8 limon276

limon276

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 445 posts
  • LocationCentral Nassau

Posted December 14 2018 - 12:54 PM

Good to hear, I have not been to either place but will check them out

#9 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11194 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 14 2018 - 01:31 PM

It's great news to hear about another range in Suffolk that runs smoothly. DSI and South Shore Sportsman are the heavy hitters for indoor ranges.

#10 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 667 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted October 26 2019 - 05:17 AM

Where else can you rent and shoot on the Island?

#11 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24669 posts

Posted October 26 2019 - 07:11 AM

I always like to give praise and good reviews when they are due (and well bad reviews too when they are called for) so I figured I share my recent experiences with Benson's and Medford Shooting Range.

My first time at Benson's was two weeks ago to do a handgun transfer to me from a coworker of mine.  A couple of customers were being helped so while I was waiting, I browsed the hardware in the store.  To me, the store was stocked very well.  Didn't have to wait long until it was my turn up at the counter.  The two guys I dealt with behind the counter were nice enough, straight to the point with the paperwork, some small talk about the guns being transferred, etc.  To quote Shawshank Redemption "Easy Peezy Japanesey"  The process was quick and painless, $10 per gun.

Second time going to Benson's was to pick up said guns (a different day because I couldn't do the Yaphank shuffle the first day due to it being the weekend).  Second visit was just as quick and easy as the first.  I got there when they opened up, was helped by a nice woman and walked out the door with the guns in about 10 minutes.

While I was there both times, I happened to see another gun in their case I have been eyeing up (a Ruger LC9S Pro) with the price point comparable to anyplace online I have seen it.  So I went back this past Friday and bought it.  That transaction was also easy and the employee I dealt with was great.  So I guess for Thanksgiving they had a deal going on for 2 hours free at Medford with the purchase of a gun.  The flyer on the register said until 11/29 or something like that but I bought the gun on 12/7.  They also were running a deal on the same flyer for Annual membership at $150 instead of the $220(?).  I've never been to Medford, but have been looking into places to go shooting during the week in the evenings (since my wife works nights anyway) and especially during the winter when Calverton is out of the question.  So I told the employee that I was possibly interested in the membership but have never been there so before I make a commitment could he hook me up with the (2) hourly passes and if I like the place would he honor the discounted membership.  The answer was yes to both, not even a rude look on his face.  I call that great customer service.

So now on to Medford Shooting Range.  I went there last night (a Monday night).  Walk in and there were two guys behind the counter and a couple of regulars hanging out from what it seemed.  Joked around with the guy behind the counter (who I've always heard through other's reviews can be a wise-cracking character), and even jumped into a conversation with the regulars who were talking about an AR build (since I built mine).  Fast forward to range time, for the first 30min I was by myself in the range. I'm assuming maybe because it was a weeknight (not going to lie, that was real nice).  To me the range was great.  No frills, but a completely perfect place to put up targets and put holes through those targets.  Lighting was good, not too bright and not too dim.  For the last 30min I had 2 other people in the range with me and someone giving them some instructions.  Still, the atmosphere was great.  Ventilation was perfectly adequate last night, but I won't comment on that further, obviously because it was my only time there and 3 people shooting is different then a full range.

Browsing reviews online and you get so many different opinions, good and bad.  I have seen some bad reviews about both of these places, so I wanted to chime in on my very positive experience at both.

First question- How do you like the LC9s Pro? It is my normal EDC here, as warmer temps and ranch work make concealing larger firearms difficult. I'm pretty happy with mine, either using an IWB Kydex (*sometimes actually OWB but under the belt, or an OWB- depends on the situation, and I can OC on private property. Haven't spent enough time with my Sig 365 to even think about using it for that purpose yet. As far as Benson's, I had been there several times with no issues, but ran into that "Know it all" salesperson who turned me off in a BIG way, quoting non-existent laws and rules to a guy who knows them pretty damn well, and when things changed that I was not in the area regularly, I just stopped going there. We used to do Women on Target classes at the Medford Range, using the back room as a classroom. A little tight, but doable. I had a membership there when it was Executive Gun Club. There were ventilation issues there, that I hear have been addressed

ETA: Charlie (at the range) is a good guy, had many good conversations with him

Edited by NRATC53, October 26 2019 - 07:13 AM.

• a7vette2 likes this

#12 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2667 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted October 26 2019 - 09:23 AM

Just don't deal with the owners wife ;she is confused nice but confused    IMHO

#13 a7vette2

a7vette2

Gun Guru

• 844 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted October 27 2019 - 08:02 AM

Update on range...Between January and early February last year, I went there three times and they were closed with no explanation. One time, I got there at 10am and there was a line of ten people outside waiting in the freezing cold.  I waited 15 minutes then called downstairs on my cell. Steve answered and said, "we're closed, read the sign". That would have been OK except there was no sign. I checked out DSI. Clean, well lit, bullet proof clear partitions great ventilation and nice people. It is further for me to drive and a little more expensive for a range pass but well worth it.

• Parashooter and Ancap like this

#14 Number 2

Number 2

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member, Donated Member

• 1243 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Posted October 28 2019 - 08:00 AM

South Shore Shooting Range in Islip. 

• killian and Wowzer like this

#15 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2723 posts

Posted October 28 2019 - 12:10 PM

We have a large selection of rental pistols and rifles at DSI

• grifhunter likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users