Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Python buyer BEWARE!

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  boosti 
#1 ·
I was just in LGS in Huntington today to check on a 1985 Python advertised as "never turned". I first called the store yesterday and asked what they meant by 'never turned' - did that mean NIB or what? They answered that it was indeed new, included box and all papers, etc. I have seen this gun advertised on their website for about 4 months now. Asking price was $3000 and I could not understand why it was still available so I took a ride there today. I examined the gun and immediately notices that the front of the cylinder was all scratched from what appears to be someone trying to remove powder residue with a course metal brush - really messed up the front of the cylinder and you could still see remnants of 'burn' anyway. Upon further inspection of the cylinder I also saw what appeared to be some kind of jagged marks on each of the cylinder lock up grooves. I pointed these items out to salesman and he looked at them didn't blink an eye - just put the gun back in its box and said "sorry we couldn't help you today".

I am posting this only to give a 'heads up' to Colt collectors/shooters and any other serious enthusiasts. I am not bashing this gun store but clearly, even the newest 'newbie' could see that this Python was far from 'NIB/unfired/unturned' and yet the store consistently advertised it as such. I will not ever deal with them again - your decision is up to you.

#5 ·
In all honesty, if this Colt Python is in the original box and hasn't been re-blued or the grips changed. The asking price isn't terrible. I know an retired NYPD who paid $2,600 for a used 4 inch blued Python without the original grips, paperwork and box. Anyone who knows firearms will expect a firearm to be test fired and such. A faint turn line is a good indication the revolver wasn't shot that much.

#6 ·
Can't say for sure but the box was an "Anniversary' box which I think was in 1986 - not 1985. The blueing was clean and there was no turn line on the cylinder. The damage was to the cylinder face and lead in grooves for the cylinder lock up detents. The grips looked brand new ( as in possibly reproductions - not sure though as after seeing the cylinder condition I stopped paying close attention to other details). As far as a 'faint turn line' this one did not have one. Neither does my 1981 4" Python that has thousands of rounds through it. Older Colt actions, unlike a S&W, will not leave a turn line if it is in correct timing. The only way some (older) Colts get turn lines is from opening and then closing them without lining up the cylinder chamber to the firing position or if the timing is off.

I fully agree that almost any gun is test fired at the factory ( anywhere from 1 to 3 chambers, sometimes more ) but the fact that the owner scraped the front of the cylinder down to bare metal trying to remove whatever was there does not indicate 1 - 6 rounds through the gun. In todays Python market there are many re-finished, re-boxed and re-lettered Pythons that are placed on the market. You can go on eBay and buy replica Colt Python boxes, labels, grips and literature that are all fakes ( the official Colt Factory Letter excepted ). I can't state with any certainty that this is the case but there sure is something not right with this particular Python. Anyway, my main issue was that the LGS should have seen these physical defects immediately and not kept continuing to advertise it as 'unturned' and representing it as new. The very fact that this gun was still for sale after 4 or so months of advertising is what led me to believe that something was not right. And when I went and checked it that sure turned out to be the case.

#7 ·
Can't say for sure but the box was an "Anniversary' box which I think was in 1986 - not 1985. The blueing was clean and there was no turn line on the cylinder. The damage was to the cylinder face and lead in grooves for the cylinder lock up detents. The grips looked brand new ( as in possibly reproductions - not sure though as after seeing the cylinder condition I stopped paying close attention to other details). As far as a 'faint turn line' this one did not have one. Neither does my 1981 4" Python that has thousands of rounds through it. Older Colt actions, unlike a S&W, will not leave a turn line if it is in correct timing. The only way some (older) Colts get turn lines is from opening and then closing them without lining up the cylinder chamber to the firing position or if the timing is off.

I fully agree that almost any gun is test fired at the factory ( anywhere from 1 to 3 chambers, sometimes more ) but the fact that the owner scraped the front of the cylinder down to bare metal trying to remove whatever was there does not indicate 1 - 6 rounds through the gun. In todays Python market there are many re-finished, re-boxed and re-lettered Pythons that are placed on the market. You can go on eBay and buy replica Colt Python boxes, labels, grips and literature that are all fakes ( the official Colt Factory Letter excepted ). I can't state with any certainty that this is the case but there sure is something not right with this particular Python. Anyway, my main issue was that the LGS should have seen these physical defects immediately and not kept continuing to advertise it as 'unturned' and representing it as new. The very fact that this gun was still for sale after 4 or so months of advertising is what led me to believe that something was not right. And when I went and checked it that sure turned out to be the case.
I own three Colt Pythons, I am surprised that you fired thousands of rounds and haven't experienced a timing issue or a drag line. Colt Pythons are known for experiencing timing issues. As for original, definitely be cautious. The Colt factory sold it's parts inventory and many Gunsmiths probably took advantage restoring beat up Revolvers and selling them. A few aftermarket Grips are licensed by Colt. The fake Colt boxes and labels are being sold. Any Colt firearms enthusiast wants the original box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.