Merino Wool vs: Under Armour - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Merino Wool vs: Under Armour

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ndtyank49

ndtyank49

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 551 posts
  • LocationEast Meadow

Posted October 25 2018 - 07:38 PM

Hey guys, pretty simple question...you're sitting up in your tree stand, its pretty cold out what do you guys wear as a base layer to stay warm? I'm planning on getting a new pair of long johns and it seems like a merino wool pair or and under armour one is the way to go. 

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted October 26 2018 - 07:15 AM

at my age I am not going up a tree but use a ground blind (which blocks the wind somewhat) I wear this stuff under everything https://www.cabelas....89.uts?slotId=5 but I use the turtle neck style.

its my hands and feet and head/neck area that I find I have to keep warm so I do carry a couple of those warming packets and use a fleece balaclava instead of a wool watch cap and scarf on really cold days.   Orange fleece insulated gloves with leather on the palm side, insulated boots and wool socks.   A couple of years ago I got a blaze orange camo hunting coat with oodles of pockets, non slip shoulder, back tag holder, hood, etc. from Game Hide for well under $170 that is too warm right now but in January its perfect.  Over the thermal underwear I wear flannel lined cargo pants, even adding a camo rain suit bottom.  Bringing  thermos' of hot tea and water and keeping my granola bars well inside my outer garments works too. 

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 26 2018 - 07:30 AM

During the hunting season, pack a blanket and energy bars with plenty of liquids. When hiking in the woods, most people sweat and get cold quickly. The best advice is use a breathable fabric like under armour brand clothing. Once you arrive at the treestand layer up. Sitting still for hours isn't good for the body. Wool is very good. It works at keeping you warm.

#4 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3753 posts

Posted October 26 2018 - 08:05 AM

Under Armor actively works with anti-hunting groups. So put hunting in jeopardy by buying the product of these scumbags.

#5 DellDude

DellDude

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 765 posts

Posted October 26 2018 - 08:38 AM

Wool is the only natural fiber that is proven to retain 80% of its insulating properties when wet.

#6 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted October 26 2018 - 10:34 AM

Cotton kills, wool warms.   I had forgotten about UnderArmor's  being Antis.   Eff them.

Forgot to add that I still occasionally use a wool blend set of long johns the Army issued me in the 80s.   About the only item the Army issues an officer that it doesn't take back, lol.

#7 sigmann45

sigmann45

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 711 posts

Posted October 27 2018 - 01:57 PM

I didn't know Under Armor was Anti Hunting too, Crazy . Their stuff is pretty good . Have to start looking at new brands of clothes to shop for outdoor stuff. :popcorn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users