2018 NY Hunting season - Page 2 - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

2018 NY Hunting season

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 CumminsSlayer

CumminsSlayer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted December 04 2018 - 09:25 PM

Can't eat the horns so what's the point? You want bigger bucks why not manage your property and surrounding land parcels with hunter cooperation instead of pushing more government intervention on the rest of the state. Some people hunt for meat and don't give a crap how many horns they have.

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#22 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 05 2018 - 07:20 AM

Can't eat the horns so what's the point? You want bigger bucks why not manage your property and surrounding land parcels with hunter cooperation instead of pushing more government intervention on the rest of the state. Some people hunt for meat and don't give a crap how many horns they have.

Not every Hunter has the ability to hunt archery and is limited
to a Buck only tag during rifle season. The Muzzleloader season offers a deer of either sex.
I agree, Food Plots and maintaining the land will benefit the Hunter for years. If you see a coyote during the hunting season. Take it out. Coyote have caused serious damage to the Deer and Turkey population.

#23 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1498 posts

Posted December 05 2018 - 03:05 PM

That some rack for n.y.s.
Maybe just not to tender as far as table food.
I am heading up on Sunday hope the weather is better then it was for first week in cross bow season.

#24 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 05 2018 - 03:47 PM

That some rack for n.y.s.
Maybe just not to tender as far as table food.
I am heading up on Sunday hope the weather is better then it was for first week in cross bow season.

Weather is looking great this weekend. The post rut will start again. They say focus on the scrapes and rubs during the post rut.

#25 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColchester,NY & Suffolk, NY

Posted December 05 2018 - 11:04 PM

It was lack of government intervention that nearly saw the whitetail eradicated from the landscape. It was a different mind set, that of conservation coupled with hunters dollars that altered the path of the whitetail as well as so many others species. Been at this hunting thing for thirty six years and have met and know a bunch of guys that say "I am a meat hunter and do not care about the rack" but yet every time they get a buck they say hey look at my buck with a big smile.   

The problem in most of the Catskills today is the land has been broken up into such small parcels which translates into way to much pressure. Couple that with a state that does not care about the deer or the deer hunters experience, a state that gave out way to many doe permits for way to many years which devastated the deer herd. We all know the state only cares about the hunters dollars. 

As far as land management goes, I do what I can on my 150 acre hunting property. I grow food plots and try to make other habitat improvements, but you do not grow and hold deer on only 150. The valley that my hunting property sits in and the adjoining valleys have large landowners, most are much larger than mine, but sprinkled throughout are the five and ten acre parcels owned by downstate people who show up with 3,5,7 guys and they are here just to shoot the first legal whatever that walks by. Did they purchase the right to hunt, of course, but you cannot overcome that. They say that they would love to have the opportunity to shoot a bigger buck, but in the end they all say if I do not shoot that five or six someone else will, and that is why the hunting still sucks in most of the range.  

Here is another one that has many people pissed off. The DEP is at again in many areas of the Catskills. They were holding a lottery for doe tags because their forester said there are to many deer killing the trees. So the state was curtailing doe tags but the city gets to issue "X" number.  So the deer that is on your land one minute cannot be shot because you do not have a tag gets whacked a minute later on the city land. So many are asking why does the city get this privilege as the deer are not being born, living, and dying on the city land alone.  

Hunting is a personal thing, so we all have our own thoughts about what it means.  I am just someone who would like to see some other changes made that would dramatically improve the buck hunting in just a few years. The three point rule was a great start and has no doubt made a big difference in what people are seeing and harvesting, but "I" think we should and can go a little further. Simply push the opening day of rifle back one week and would allow so many more bucks to survive. The genetics are here in NY, they just need age.

PS if you want venison sign up for the LI shotgun hunt. :biggrin

#26 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 06 2018 - 09:45 AM

It was lack of government intervention that nearly saw the whitetail eradicated from the landscape. It was a different mind set, that of conservation coupled with hunters dollars that altered the path of the whitetail as well as so many others species. Been at this hunting thing for thirty six years and have met and know a bunch of guys that say "I am a meat hunter and do not care about the rack" but yet every time they get a buck they say hey look at my buck with a big smile.   

The problem in most of the Catskills today is the land has been broken up into such small parcels which translates into way to much pressure. Couple that with a state that does not care about the deer or the deer hunters experience, a state that gave out way to many doe permits for way to many years which devastated the deer herd. We all know the state only cares about the hunters dollars. 

As far as land management goes, I do what I can on my 150 acre hunting property. I grow food plots and try to make other habitat improvements, but you do not grow and hold deer on only 150. The valley that my hunting property sits in and the adjoining valleys have large landowners, most are much larger than mine, but sprinkled throughout are the five and ten acre parcels owned by downstate people who show up with 3,5,7 guys and they are here just to shoot the first legal whatever that walks by. Did they purchase the right to hunt, of course, but you cannot overcome that. They say that they would love to have the opportunity to shoot a bigger buck, but in the end they all say if I do not shoot that five or six someone else will, and that is why the hunting still sucks in most of the range.  

Here is another one that has many people pissed off. The DEP is at again in many areas of the Catskills. They were holding a lottery for doe tags because their forester said there are to many deer killing the trees. So the state was curtailing doe tags but the city gets to issue "X" number.  So the deer that is on your land one minute cannot be shot because you do not have a tag gets whacked a minute later on the city land. So many are asking why does the city get this privilege as the deer are not being born, living, and dying on the city land alone.  

Hunting is a personal thing, so we all have our own thoughts about what it means.  I am just someone who would like to see some other changes made that would dramatically improve the buck hunting in just a few years. The three point rule was a great start and has no doubt made a big difference in what people are seeing and harvesting, but "I" think we should and can go a little further. Simply push the opening day of rifle back one week and would allow so many more bucks to survive. The genetics are here in NY, they just need age.

The peak rut being reported is the week of opening day rifle season. This is the best time to harvest a buck. I believe the peak rut is much earlier, during the week of Halloween during archery season.
The 3 point rule is working, the only thing I didn't like was when the DEC pushed opening day back from Monday to Saturday. The local businesses suffered from that since many hunters arrive Friday night and leave by Sunday. When opening day was Monday. Hunters arrived Friday and stayed until Tuesday which helped the local economy.
It was an excellent season so far. Opening day was by far the best in many years. The snow was a big help. The deer definitely moved around looking for food. Hopefully, I can fill a doe tag this weekend.

#27 CumminsSlayer

CumminsSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted December 06 2018 - 09:48 PM

Here is another one that has many people pissed off. The DEP is at again in many areas of the Catskills. They were holding a lottery for doe tags because their forester said there are to many deer killing the trees. So the state was curtailing doe tags but the city gets to issue "X" number. So the deer that is on your land one minute cannot be shot because you do not have a tag gets whacked a minute later on the city land. So many are asking why does the city get this privilege as the deer are not being born, living, and dying on the city land alone.

Hunting is a personal thing, so we all have our own thoughts about what it means. I am just someone who would like to see some other changes made that would dramatically improve the buck hunting in just a few years. The three point rule was a great start and has no doubt made a big difference in what people are seeing and harvesting, but "I" think we should and can go a little further. Simply push the opening day of rifle back one week and would allow so many more bucks to survive. The genetics are here in NY, they just need age.

DEC killed the herd by giving out too many doe tags, so let's get them more involved and hope they make more rules. Makes sense.
I am sure they would love your idea. The fines for undersized racks would drive up revenue, that's for sure.

Ps... there are plenty of racked buck out east. Have at em.

#28 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 07 2018 - 07:22 AM

DEC killed the herd by giving out too many doe tags, so let's get them more involved and hope they make more rules. Makes sense.
I am sure they would love your idea. The fines for undersized racks would drive up revenue, that's for sure.
Ps... there are plenty of racked buck out east. Have at em.

I agree about out east with plenty of racked buck. Problem is finding a good neighborhood that allows you to hunt and track a deer.

#29 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2684 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted December 07 2018 - 04:09 PM

I agree about out east with plenty of racked buck. Problem is finding a good neighborhood that allows you to hunt and track a deer.

I would love to hunt on Brookhaven Lab.  property; monster  racks there and no they do not glow n the dark

#30 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 07 2018 - 05:52 PM

I would love to hunt on Brookhaven Lab.  property; monster  racks there and no they do not glow n the dark

Dune Road Southampton Town, East Quogue , Quogue and Westhampton Beach are perfect areas to harvest a mature adult buck.

#31 Huntingfish8683

Huntingfish8683

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationRiverhead

Posted January 10 2019 - 07:21 AM

Anyone out shot gunning?

#32 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 10 2019 - 09:06 AM

Anyone out shot gunning?

I might hunt the Southold area. I heard you don't need a town permit to hunt.

#33 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted January 10 2019 - 09:38 AM

https://www.southold...Deer-Management

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users