snow blower research - Page 2 - DIY - Home Improvements - More - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

snow blower research

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2708 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted December 16 2020 - 09:37 AM

Nester. WTF?

Building up his post count he must have something he wants to sell

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11301 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 16 2020 - 12:05 PM

Bought a 32 ounce 50:1 mixed fuel can and 2 cycle oil for 1 gallon fuel at Home Depot yesterday for my sisters Toro 7 hp electric start snowblower. Noticed the same Toro I have was $620. It definitely looked like a store return floor model.
It’s a good machine, starts on the first pull.

#23 limon276

limon276

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 448 posts
  • LocationCentral Nassau

Posted December 16 2020 - 01:35 PM

I have a troy built two stage and it works like a champ. it is 24 inches wide with 6 speed forward and two I think reverse. I bought a wind cab for about $89 online.  Great thing to have especially on windy days when the snow blows back at you. Mine is electric start no battery so you have to plug it in which is fine because it is in the garage during winter. I walked in to store buy the one on sale for $329 and ended up spending about $900. Keep in mind the more surface area you have to cover the bigger/better machine you need. Both my neighbors are elderly now so I do the front of their house also. Wish I bought the next model up, My opinion is figure out how much area you have to clean and your budget. I have had mine for a couple of years only wish that I had bought the next model up which had heated grips, and a few other things. 

#24 Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Respected Gunowner

• 171 posts

Posted December 16 2020 - 07:17 PM

I've got an Ariens 28"x21". It's a two stage with 4-5 forward speeds and 2 reverse. It pull starts very easy but can be plugged in for electric start. Both wheels drive but you can release one wheel to make turns easy. Everything on the unit is metal. I spray the augers and chute down with silicone a day in advance and let it dry/adhere to the steel. The headlight is a big plus for nighttime snow removal.

I've got a fairly long driveway that has the house on one side and a 6' vinyl fence on the other. All the snow must be moved quite some distance so shoveling become a worse idea as my age marched on. I'm happy I bought it a few years back. 

FWIW - the unit works great and tosses snow VERY far but it is a bit of a bear to control. You get a good workout operating this thing for an hour or two.

#25 phumb

phumb

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2570 posts

Posted December 17 2020 - 04:45 PM

This is a situation where you really get what you pay for.. I had a craftsman 8 hp for several years, worked awesome and I loved it! actually  got it here on LIF.  I went to help out an older neighbor who had a huge ariens... holy shit! that thing blasted through the deepest/ heaviest snow we had... never slowed down! My craftsman, though it worked well in most, and ok in deeper snow(albeit a little slower) was nowhere near the ariens... Bought one in the off season, its a monster and glad to have gotten it, no regrets!

#26 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 283 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted December 17 2020 - 04:48 PM

Yup Ariens for the win.  They use monster engines.  Mine throws snow over 75 feet and blasts through the heavy stuff that the snow plows leave blocking your driveway.

• Swstock likes this

#27 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1670 posts

Posted December 18 2020 - 06:19 AM

My Ariens Deluxe 28+ is rediculous. It literally throws snow 50+ft

#28 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11301 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 18 2020 - 07:18 AM

I had a rough time at my sisters yesterday with the long driveway going up hill. I think it’s time for an Ariens with snow chains on the tires. The wet heavy snow was a problem.

#29 Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Respected Gunowner

• 171 posts

Posted December 19 2020 - 02:58 PM

For the first time in years I can see why people put chains on their snowblowers. My big Arierns had a hard time pushing through all that frozen show and hard pack. I spent 3 hours muscling that brute around because the tires were just spinning on the ice beneath the snow. I'd slap a set of chains on that blower in a minute but my dealer said the chains WILL scratch my pavers. I have non-marring sliders up front just to avoid that.

#30 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7937 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted December 19 2020 - 04:23 PM

This Toro is like a hybrid singly/two stage.  Its light enough to lift to put into the back of my truck, but its opening is large enough to handle the pile up at the end of my driveway.  https://www.torodeal...o)#BVRRWidgetID

Although I only used it for the first time last week, it handled 10-12 inches of this heavy wet stuff.   It stores compact too.

snowmaster-724-zxr-36001snowmaster-36001

#31 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25902 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted December 19 2020 - 05:07 PM

The best snow blower is to move to a climate without snow.

• Ancap likes this

#32 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• 1396 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted December 19 2020 - 07:38 PM

Or have someone else do it

#33 BUGZ

BUGZ

Sharp Shooter!

• 452 posts
  • LocationEX--Long Islander

Posted December 21 2020 - 09:31 AM

If you need a snow blower its time to move  :beach  :beach

#34 TheLevelOne

TheLevelOne

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted December 21 2020 - 11:59 AM

+1 for the Ariens.  Built like a tank and will move the white stuff around like nobody's business.  They even have EFI engines available now.

Regards ---------

#35 Lotust1

Lotust1

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 88 posts
  • Locationsuffolk county

Posted December 22 2020 - 09:10 PM

I use to have a rock driveway and needed a snowblower that was able to raise up a few inches with a push of a foot lever.  I found this beast on CL and had to travel 4 hours to get it.  I paid 800$ for it and have had it 8 years now.  Its an old Honda Hydrostatic tank track that gets really good traction.  I would recommend picking one up used if you can find one.  A new unit similar is like 3000$ I love this machine. It always starts for me even though its pull start it fire up 2-3 pull cold.  

XIQ0XBR.jpg

#36 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 283 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted December 23 2020 - 04:30 PM

I use to have a rock driveway and needed a snowblower that was able to raise up a few inches with a push of a foot lever.  I found this beast on CL and had to travel 4 hours to get it.  I paid 800$ for it and have had it 8 years now.  Its an old Honda Hydrostatic tank track that gets really good traction.  I would recommend picking one up used if you can find one.  A new unit similar is like 3000$ I love this machine. It always starts for me even though its pull start it fire up 2-3 pull cold.  

That was a fantastic find.  The Honda's and Yamaha's are supposed to be the best of the best.

#37 spb1122

spb1122

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted December 28 2020 - 12:22 AM

I have a 10 year old 30" Ariens ST30LE with the Subaru SX30 engine.

While I do take care of my equipment (clean it, do my own scheduled maintenance, proper storage, etc.), I have to tell you, the machine is still like brand new, and if you saw it, you'd never guess it was 10 years old.

I have been a big fan of Honda small engines for a long time, and still am, but this Subaru has proven to be just as good, if not better.

While it does have plug in electric start, I don't even use it, because it is just so easy to pull start. First time, every time.

I believe Ariens went and started having their engines imported from China with the Ariens name on them a few years after I bought mine, so I can't speak to today's Ariens or their engines, but it seems to me that my Ariens/Subaru machine will probably be handed down to my kids...

Anyway, this one wasn't my first snowthrower.

My life experience has proven to me that the bigger/better machine is worth every penny of the investment.

Compared to the machines I had prior?  Every time I clear my driveway with the Ariens, I laugh at myself for not investing in the better machine to begin with.

I believe snowthrowers are a text book example of "you get what you pay for". Think of it as spread out over the life of the machine. Again, I fell it was worth every penny.

Especially since I'm getting older as fast as the snowblower, lol.

I did change the skids to the synthetic skids because of my paver driveway. I also added a front weight bar, and side cutters.  I find that I do not have tractions problems, even on ice, as long as I use the appropriate speed, but since it has 6 forward speeds (and 2 reverse speeds), that has never been a problem.

#38 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• 283 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted December 28 2020 - 03:16 PM

While it does have plug in electric start, I don't even use it, because it is just so easy to pull start. First time, every time.

I believe Ariens went and started having their engines imported from China with the Ariens name on them a few years after I bought mine, so I can't speak to today's Ariens or their engines, but it seems to me that my Ariens/Subaru machine will probably be handed down to my kids...

Those Subaru engines are fantastic, their small engine division was purchased by Yamaha a few years back.  Mine has a Brigg's and Stratton.  It was from just before they started using the Chinese engines.  The only ones that don't seem to do well are the EFI ones.  I've never tried one, just saw a lot of complaints about them not starting.  Mine is about 10 years old as well and looks like new.  I guess it's only been used once in the last 2 years though :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users