snow blower research - DIY - Home Improvements - More - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

snow blower research

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Strat688

Strat688

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5533 posts
  • LocationEast Setauket

Posted September 07 2018 - 02:45 PM

Hi folks.....I'm getting too old to deal with my old single stage unit, so I've been looking at two-stage snowblowers.

So.....I'm just asking for your input, concerning units you may have (or had). 

Things like reliability issues ?, parts issues? , general performance?, etc, etc (You get the drift)

Thanks in advance

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2151 posts

Posted September 07 2018 - 03:37 PM

(You get the drift)

LOL.....

last year I was contemplating this: https://www.troybilt...age-31bs6bn2711

They sell them at either Lowes or Home Depot (I forget now).

I'll be watching this thread and if no one suggests something better, I'll probably just buy that one.

#3 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted September 07 2018 - 05:40 PM

I don’t really know what the difference between single stage and 2 stage snowblowers are. When I bought my house 3 years ago I bought a 24” Toro that looks similar to the linked one above. I don’t have any problems with it. One thing I noticed was when I first bought it, I noticed that only 1 wheel would spin when you engaged the motor. I noticed a friend had the same unit, and both his wheels would spin. I thought I had a defective one and called the store. Turns out I had to move the cotter pin on the non spinning wheel so it would move with the other.

Also, I think if you can get a unit with a headlight, it is probably good to have. I wear a headlamp when I plow at night bc my SB doesn’t have one.

I think Aerins is another good brand.
  • loadingdockman likes this

#4 killian

killian

Retired

• Donated Member
  • 1896 posts
  • LocationEastern Suffolk

Posted September 07 2018 - 05:46 PM

I have both a single stage and a two stage Cub Cadet. Love both of them. Zero issues with either. Bought both at Carl’s Equipment on 112. They have sales regularly.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#5 a7vette2

a7vette2

Gun Guru

• 867 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted September 07 2018 - 05:54 PM

(You get the drift)

LOL.....

last year I was contemplating this: https://www.troybilt...age-31bs6bn2711

They sell them at either Lowes or Home Depot (I forget now).

I'll be watching this thread and if no one suggests something better, I'll probably just buy that one.

I bought this model Troy Bilt three years ago at Lowes to replace a 1967 Ariens that I got from my parents when they moved to Fla. in 1998. My son in Michigan bought a new Ariens and quality is much better than the Troy Bilt  but it is almost double the price. I couldn't justify the cost of the Ariens considering the amount of snow we get here. One quirk in the controls you should be aware of: the shoot direction control and the auger engagement control are both on the left side. When you need to adjust the shoot direction, you need to release the auger. Good news is I solved that with a Velcro strap to keep the auger engaged. Hope this helps.

• Peconic Paladin likes this

#6 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• 1396 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted September 07 2018 - 08:54 PM

Bought the Troybuilt listed above 4 yrs ago....paid $425 on sale.... Works fine no issues.
For me like mentioned , for the 4 or 5 times used a year I couldn't see buying one for twice the price

( don't use it unless more than 3" of snow )
  • Peconic Paladin and a7vette2 like this

#7 jm7480

jm7480

Respected Gunowner

• 108 posts
  • LocationLI NY

Posted September 07 2018 - 09:13 PM

I have his one  it works great and i got it on sale for $700.

https://www.troybilt...wer-31am5cp3766

#8 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• 2151 posts

Posted September 07 2018 - 10:25 PM

I couldn't justify the cost of the Ariens considering the amount of snow we get here. One quirk in the controls you should be aware of: the shoot direction control and the auger engagement control are both on the left side. When you need to adjust the shoot direction, you need to release the auger. Good news is I solved that with a Velcro strap to keep the auger engaged. Hope this helps.

Bought the Troybuilt listed above 4 yrs ago....paid $425 on sale.... Works fine no issues.
For me like mentioned , for the 4 or 5 times used a year I couldn't see buying one for twice the price

( don't use it unless more than 3" of snow )

Thank you much, gents! I would say I'm sold. 

I've always wanted a snow blower and have bought a new home with a longer driveway that merges for a little bit of common driveway too. Looking to save some effort. I was also interested in the "minimum" show fall required so the 3" issue helps too.  

Much appreciated.

• NRATC53 likes this

#9 Lou G

Lou G

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 952 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 08 2018 - 08:45 AM

Hi folks.....I'm getting too old to deal with my old single stage unit, so I've been looking at two-stage snowblowers.

So.....I'm just asking for your input, concerning units you may have (or had). 

Things like reliability issues ?, parts issues? , general performance?, etc, etc (You get the drift)

Thanks in advance

Get the biggest one you can afford. With a small one you might get swamped in a heavy storm. Make sure it has a electric start. preferably 120 volt over 12 volt battery, If the ignition  system gets wet from the snow blowing on it and it stalls you may pull it a couple of times to get it going Pull starting for us old guys is a bitch.  Have heated grips,Headlight, and electric rotating cute. Make sure it has power to both wheels and look into optional chains. You can get some blowers with a see thru canvas but I think it will get covered with snow.  

• phumb likes this

#10 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7305 posts

Posted September 09 2018 - 11:01 PM

You may want to consider tire chains for the snowblower tires if your driveway has a steep incline. The chains will help with traction on snow or ice covered surfaces. Also, consider a model with a reverse gear. It's helpful in spots where it's difficult to make a full turn.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#11 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6291 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted September 10 2018 - 07:41 AM

You want a Husqvarna. You'll pay a bit more for it but, in the long run, you will have an infinitely better machine. I bought mine at Lowe's, several years back and have never regretted it. A friend, who is in the snow removal business, recommended it to me. Get the 22" or 24" model, depending on length and width of your driveway.

Gary

#12 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• 2151 posts

Posted September 10 2018 - 11:02 AM

You want a Husqvarna. You'll pay a bit more for it but, in the long run, you will have an infinitely better machine. I bought mine at Lowe's, several years back and have never regretted it. A friend, who is in the snow removal business, recommended it to me. Get the 22" or 24" model, depending on length and width of your driveway.

Gary

It seems like they only have 24" models. Don't see how 2" would make a difference. I was skeptical about going with some unknown foreign company, but since you mentioned the friend recommending it, maybe I'll give it a try/investigate further.

#13 a7vette2

a7vette2

Gun Guru

• 867 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted September 10 2018 - 11:15 AM

Husqvarna is a very well known high a quality brand. It  will be more money than the Toro but it will also be worth it depending on how much you use it. As I said, the Toro is just fine for me but an Ariens or Husqvarna is going the be a better machine with more bells and whistles.

#14 blue05

blue05

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 99 posts

Posted September 10 2018 - 11:50 AM

Metal chute..................... only buy a machine with a metal discharge chute.....

• NRATC53 likes this

#15 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 6291 posts

Posted September 10 2018 - 01:33 PM

It seems like they only have 24" models. Don't see how 2" would make a difference. I was skeptical about going with some unknown foreign company, but since you mentioned the friend recommending it, maybe I'll give it a try/investigate further.

The Husqvarna units' blade/churner areas get higher, as they get wider, handling deeper snow. Mine has 15 inch wheels, 6 forward speeds and one reverse, twin headlights and with a steel chute, which can rotate 180 degrees. There are separate controls, for the blades and the transmission. You can set  it up for plug-in-the-wall starting or use the pull cord. Mine always starts on the first pull. It blows though snow, slush and ice, even packed snow, from the plows, like no other machine I've ever owned. I have the older version of the ST224 model. The newer version is push button start. My driveway is 100 feet long and double wide, plus a wide and deep patio, in the rear.

Gary

#16 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• 2151 posts

Posted September 10 2018 - 01:59 PM

The Husqvarna units' blade/churner areas get higher, as they get wider, handling deeper snow. Mine has 15 inch wheels, 6 forward speeds and one reverse, twin headlights and with a steel chute, which can rotate 180 degrees. There are separate controls, for the blades and the transmission. You can set  it up for plug-in-the-wall starting or use the pull cord. Mine always starts on the first pull. It blows though snow, slush and ice, even packed snow, from the plows, like no other machine I've ever owned. I have the older version of the ST224 model. The newer version is push button start. My driveway is 100 feet long and double wide, plus a wide and deep patio, in the rear.

Gary

Is the chute controlled by a crank/manual like the Toro 2410, or is controlled from the handles/controler area

#17 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24772 posts

Posted September 10 2018 - 03:26 PM

My research shows I no longer need one. Ariens or Husqvarna for the win. 2 stage means it has a feed auger that chews up the snow and feeds it to a separate fan that throws the snow up the chute. All things said here (metal chute, controls, electric start, speeds w/ reverse and chains for slopes) are valid for all but the smallest driveways. Colder climes also offer heated grips, cabs, and other options

. Lived in Syracuse, Buffalo, UP Michigan and other places so I've seen my share of snow

• gcloss and Ricekila like this

#18 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 6291 posts

Posted September 11 2018 - 07:27 AM

Is the chute controlled by a crank/manual like the Toro 2410, or is controlled from the handles/controler area

It's controlled by a slide, just in front of the handles. Very smooth motion.

#19 Nester

Nester

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGlen Cove

Posted December 15 2020 - 09:38 PM

#20 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25902 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted December 15 2020 - 09:45 PM

Nester. WTF?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users