Can Suffolk County legally take over 6 months to process your pistol permit? - Page 3 - Suffolk County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Can Suffolk County legally take over 6 months to process your pistol permit?

suffolk permit 6 months legally

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted August 12 2018 - 07:15 AM

The commissioner, and all under him should be up on charges.  but as usual the laws have no teeth when it comes to governmental abuse.

The law does have some teeth.

A criminal complaint needs to be filed with the Suffolk County or NY State Attorney General's Public Integrity Bureau to start an investigation.

New York Penal Law §400.00(15) provides (in its entirety):

“Any violation by any person of any provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor.”

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 svrider

svrider

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 102 posts

Posted August 12 2018 - 09:38 AM

ROFLMAO! I can't believe this is still in the most recent posts category!?!? This is NY and everybody just needs to wrap their minds around that... you are a subject in the Kings realm. No amount of letter writing or protesting is going to change how anything is done in this state. Move... that is how you hurt NYS... take your tax dollars to a free state. No one has pockets deep enough to fight anything NYS does. You want to hurt NYS... but still live here... take your middle class dollars and shop elsewhere... go to the next state over and buy your clothes... barter for everything you can. Trade services whenever and if at all possible. Cut sales tax money from the state as much as you can... and while you do that, plan your exit strategy for when you can leave. NYS is a sinking shithole that will only be left with leaches and the rich, and when the cash cow has left for greener pastures, those 2 groups will eat each other. Not saying you guys aren't correct... but you live here and already know the score.

#43 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7105 posts

Posted August 12 2018 - 04:05 PM

The law does have some teeth.

A criminal complaint needs to be filed with the Suffolk County or NY State Attorney General's Public Integrity Bureau to start an investigation.

New York Penal Law §400.00(15) provides (in its entirety):

“Any violation by any person of any provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor.”

In order for this person to have standing would it have to be someone currently undergoing the process and is passed the six months since they turned in the "questionnaire"?

#44 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted August 12 2018 - 07:14 PM

There is a two year statute of limitations from the 6 month violation.

But the DA's office needs time to investigate and decide if it will pursue the issue.

Issuing a license after the violation does not cure the violation. But who wants to risk retaliation for filing a complaint?

https://codes.findla...sect-30-10.html

Except as otherwise provided in subdivision three:

(a) A prosecution for a class A felony, or rape in the first degree as defined in section 130.35 of the penal law , or a crime defined or formerly defined in section 130.50 of the penal law , or aggravated sexual abuse in the first degree as defined in section 130.70 of the penal law , or course of sexual conduct against a child in the first degree as defined in section 130.75 of the penal law may be commenced at any time;

( B) A prosecution for any other felony must be commenced within five years after the commission thereof;

© A prosecution for a misdemeanor must be commenced within two years after the commission thereof;

(d) A prosecution for a petty offense must be commenced within one year after the commission thereof.

Edited by Incognito, August 12 2018 - 07:50 PM.

#45 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted August 12 2018 - 07:23 PM

In order for this person to have standing would it have to be someone currently undergoing the process and is passed the six months since they turned in the "questionnaire"?

I'm not sure how, but the change in commissioner must add complications to the prosecution.

Someone who passed the 6 month period before 12/31/2017 falls under Sini's tenure.

I don't know what actors in the process need to be concerned about prosecution other than the Commissioner. Probably some.

#46 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7105 posts

Posted August 13 2018 - 10:56 AM

I'm not sure how, but the change in commissioner must add complications to the prosecution.
Someone who passed the 6 month period before 12/31/2017 falls under Sini's tenure.

I don't know what actors in the process need to be concerned about prosecution other than the Commissioner. Probably some.

I appreciate the thorough answers you've provided throughout this thread. In my mind the failure of SCPD to uphold the spirit and letter of the law is glaring. There is no question what the intent of this section of the penal law is and their opening willingness to violate the law is just another example of the two tier justice system in this country.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#47 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2594 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted August 13 2018 - 01:47 PM

ROFLMAO! I can't believe this is still in the most recent posts category!?!? This is NY and everybody just needs to wrap their minds around that... you are a subject in the Kings realm. No amount of letter writing or protesting is going to change how anything is done in this state. Move... that is how you hurt NYS... take your tax dollars to a free state. No one has pockets deep enough to fight anything NYS does. You want to hurt NYS... but still live here... take your middle class dollars and shop elsewhere... go to the next state over and buy your clothes... barter for everything you can. Trade services whenever and if at all possible. Cut sales tax money from the state as much as you can... and while you do that, plan your exit strategy for when you can leave. NYS is a sinking shithole that will only be left with leaches and the rich, and when the cash cow has left for greener pastures, those 2 groups will eat each other. Not saying you guys aren't correct... but you live here and already know the score.

Yes N.Y. but this crap does not happen in Delaware County where my cousins ROFLMAO when I tell them about SCPD's shenanigans regarding our pistolas

• infared likes this

#48 SpankyTheDolphin

SpankyTheDolphin

Respected Gunowner

• 101 posts
  • Location516

Posted August 13 2018 - 10:38 PM

Yes N.Y. but this crap does not happen in Delaware County where my cousins ROFLMAO when I tell them about SCPD's shenanigans regarding our pistolas

All my out of state friends laugh at our process. Last time I visited my friend in VA he bought a handgun in 10 minutes, made me feel so restricted to be in NY.

• 2edgesword likes this

#49 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24589 posts

Posted August 14 2018 - 07:27 AM

All my out of state friends laugh at our process. Last time I visited my friend in VA he bought a handgun in 10 minutes, made me feel so restricted to be in NY.

My FL license was applied for on 01/02/17 and approved on 01/03/17. No purchase docs, no nothing. See a gun you want? Buy it

• trapshooterbob and Ricekila like this

#50 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11076 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 14 2018 - 11:09 AM

My FL license was applied for on 01/02/17 and approved on 01/03/17. No purchase docs, no nothing. See a gun you want? Buy it

How about the waiting period after you buy it in Florida.

#51 Ballistic

Ballistic

Triple Distilled Unfiltered Truth

• 3298 posts
  • LocationUnder the Yoke of Serfdom

Posted August 14 2018 - 12:00 PM

double post

#52 Ballistic

Ballistic

Triple Distilled Unfiltered Truth

• 3298 posts
  • LocationUnder the Yoke of Serfdom

Posted August 14 2018 - 12:02 PM

I would be shocked if they are so overwhelmed that retiring officers don't get their licenses in a timely manner.

Pfft, I'm sure you know as well as I that retiring officers get their license same day.  I've seen it happen twice in that last year. Must be nice....

• NRATC53, Incognito and JohnnyYen like this

#53 citypaul1

citypaul1

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 439 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 14 2018 - 12:45 PM

If you have a cc license, there is none. Fill out 4473 , Background check and you walk out with it. Without one I think it’s 3 days.

Edited by citypaul1, August 14 2018 - 12:49 PM.

• NRATC53 likes this

#54 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24589 posts

Posted August 14 2018 - 07:08 PM

No waiting period on anything for CCW License holders, no waiting period on long guns for hunting license holders

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suffolk, permit, 6 months, legally

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users