Coliseum just lost a loyal customer - Gun Stores & Gunsmiths - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Coliseum just lost a loyal customer

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bystander

Bystander

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNys

Posted August 06 2018 - 04:16 PM

Bought a lot from them in a past, few handguns and a shotgun. Still remember an old timers who used to work in this store. One of them now works in newly opened F&S . )))
Now they have some young kid who was trying to sell me a basic Howa 1500 rifle with MSRP around $600 for almost $1100. Really, guys?! You’ve always had reputation of being overpriced, but dont you think you’ve gone too far?! Plus, at least show some respect to a customer without being arrogant and looking over them. I’m talking about store owner who only talks to people he knows and low balling trade inns.

Folks from Camp Site and South Shore are so much nicer and helpful I wish I knew earlier abut them.
  • TJ Ironhorse, killian, Fotheringill and 3 others like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 25232 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted August 06 2018 - 05:55 PM

+++++++++Campsite

• drewm2006 and Patty O like this

#3 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• 1247 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 06 2018 - 05:58 PM

I have had very good experiences with them lately. They all rape you on trade ins, that is to be expected.

#4 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1247 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 06 2018 - 06:00 PM

It also depends on the exact model of Howa 1500. Some of them go for good money:

https://www.gunbroke.../item/781956320

I usually find his prices to be in line with other local dealers, sometimes a little less sometimes a little more.

• 4DR ZR1 likes this

#5 Bystander

Bystander

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNys

Posted August 06 2018 - 07:17 PM

Basic 223 with a heavy barrel. Hogue stock

https://www.brownell...prod120986.aspx

There’re online stores selling it much cheaper. And, I think, normal salesman would explain me which configuration he is about to order me, since they didnt have it in stock...

#6 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• 1247 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 06 2018 - 08:33 PM

Basic 223 with a heavy barrel. Hogue stock

https://www.brownell...prod120986.aspx

There’re online stores selling it much cheaper. And, I think, normal salesman would explain me which configuration he is about to order me, since they didnt have it in stock...

This sounds like a misunderstanding.

If you go into a store and ask for a Winchester, that could mean anything, and I doubt you were on the same page.

#7 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3746 posts

Posted August 06 2018 - 09:00 PM

You can buy from Brownells a barreled action Howa 1500 as low as 270 dollars. Put a Boyds stock it for around 200.

#8 Patty O

Patty O

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 94 posts
  • LocationWantagh NY

Posted August 06 2018 - 09:21 PM

#9 Patty O

Patty O

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 94 posts
  • LocationWantagh NY

Posted August 06 2018 - 09:21 PM

Awaiting my pistol license i went into CGT and looked around... the youngest sale associate... 30 ish... was very nice to me... although i made no purchase... i would go back to them based on that experience... due diligence is my responsibility... I will heed your advice and educate myself on prices for specific models I'm interested in.

#10 Patty O

Patty O

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 94 posts
  • LocationWantagh NY

Posted August 06 2018 - 09:28 PM

+++++++++Campsite

#11 Patty O

Patty O

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 94 posts
  • LocationWantagh NY

Posted August 06 2018 - 09:36 PM

Campsite is a quality operation. Michael P. helped me there once. Great service! I would go back there again based on that experience

#12 only7rounds

only7rounds

Gun Guru

• 1247 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 06 2018 - 11:08 PM

You can buy from Brownells a barreled action Howa 1500 as low as 270 dollars. Put a Boyds stock it for around 200.

That's helpful.

#13 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2387 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted August 07 2018 - 02:53 PM

Any shop at one time or another can be a crappy experience. Depends on the day. Through 40+ years of long island shops, I have found Coliseum can be a tad unfriendly at times. I do find them overpriced on most every firearm I have looked to buy throughout the years.
Others swear by them. They are definitely not my shop of choice. Different strokes.
  • Bystander likes this

#14 Sport454

Sport454

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1151 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 07 2018 - 04:57 PM

I have zero experience with Coliseum so I can't comment on that.

I do however have a Howa 1500 in .308. After trying a Browning A-bolt & a Remy 700 I bought it from T&T. 

It was $500 out the door including a 3-9x50 scope mounted & boresighted.

I like the gun & would like one in .223 as well .... Christmas wish list

Just my $.02

• Bystander likes this

#15 Bozack

Bozack

Respected Gunowner

• 113 posts

Posted August 07 2018 - 06:51 PM

I won't go back to Coliseum after they told my brother to "F" off. All he wanted to do was by a gun. The sales people there blew him off for thirty minutes. He told the owner they lost a sale and the owner curse at him. 

• Bystander likes this

#16 rmedieta89

rmedieta89

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted August 07 2018 - 11:01 PM

Do people not use avitars on this site lol

#17 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1663 posts

Posted August 08 2018 - 12:20 AM

Do people not use avitars on this site lol

Nope. Never seen an avitar on any site.

#18 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• 758 posts

Posted August 08 2018 - 01:17 PM

Interesting thread ........ again.

OP - Apparently nothing has changed since I was first and last in that place five years ago. Same arrogant sales operation, nasty and rude with no time for someone with questions, asking more than the MSRP on an item. Not only would I never even buy a bag of patches (also over priced) but have no problem in relating my experience there to others. I was called a clown by Lester when I was looking at a used rifle to check on lands with a flashlight and white paper after he told me it was pristine.  There are much nicer places on the island to shop. Campsite and South Shore come to mind and I am sure there are others.

My experiences with Colosseum drove me to the internet for purchases. A much less arrogant place to shop,

If Colosseum closed down, I sure as hell wouldn't shed a tear.

#19 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2120 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted August 08 2018 - 07:19 PM

Interesting thread ........ again.

OP - Apparently nothing has changed since I was first and last in that place five years ago. Same arrogant sales operation, nasty and rude with no time for someone with questions, asking more than the MSRP on an item. Not only would I never even buy a bag of patches (also over priced) but have no problem in relating my experience there to others. I was called a clown by Lester when I was looking at a used rifle to check on lands with a flashlight and white paper after he told me it was pristine.  There are much nicer places on the island to shop. Campsite and South Shore come to mind and I am sure there are others.

My experiences with Colosseum drove me to the internet for purchases. A much less arrogant place to shop,

If Colosseum closed down, I sure as hell wouldn't shed a tear.

Wow, I remember Lester and have dealt with him a few times. He was ok, not the best. I've had better experiences with Toby, and Andy (the owner) and the short haired lady with glasses.

#20 Range Time

Range Time

Respected Gunowner

• 227 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted August 08 2018 - 09:45 PM

Bought a lot from them in a past, few handguns and a shotgun. Still remember an old timers who used to work in this store. One of them now works in newly opened F&S . )))
Now they have some young kid who was trying to sell me a basic Howa 1500 rifle with MSRP around $600 for almost $1100. Really, guys?! You’ve always had reputation of being overpriced, but dont you think you’ve gone too far?! Plus, at least show some respect to a customer without being arrogant and looking over them. I’m talking about store owner who only talks to people he knows and low balling trade inns.
Folks from Camp Site and South Shore are so much nicer and helpful I wish I knew earlier abut them.

No one has ever had a bad experience at Campsite.
  • Mr. Shotgun likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users