Moving from Nassau to Suffolk - Suffolk County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Moving from Nassau to Suffolk

suffolk pistol permit pistol permit suffolk moving

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 denrusso

denrusso

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 203 posts

Posted August 02 2018 - 09:19 AM

I currently hold a sportsman license in Nassau County and I am moving to Suffolk.  I mailed a letter to NCPD notifying them of the move, providing them with what they requested including the $5 transfer fee.  However, the Nassau County Pistol License Handbook clearly states that they will transfer the records and not the license.

Do I need to apply for a new license with Suffolk County?

Thanks,

dr

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 bfourn1

bfourn1

Respected Gunowner

• 226 posts
  • Locationeast northport

Posted August 02 2018 - 10:38 PM

may be moving from suffolk to nassau, curious about this as well

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 03 2018 - 06:17 AM

Suffolk may try to re fingerprint you. Their is no need to go through that.
  • NRATC53 and Ricekila like this

#4 1911186

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted August 04 2018 - 04:56 PM

I can't speak for now, but I moved Nassau to Suffolk in 1998 and back to Nassau in 2003, and both departments did fairly straightforward issue of a new license based on the other county's records. No new fingerprints or investigation. They did both inspect my guns, but that's when they were both inspecting for renewals.
  • bfourn1 likes this

#5 Ricekila

Ricekila

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Established Member
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationSwindlehurst

Posted August 04 2018 - 05:16 PM

Suffolk may try to re fingerprint you. Their is no need to go through that.

They wanna make sure its you ---- sometimes I don't feel like myself as it is --

#6 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted August 05 2018 - 05:48 AM

You could keep your license where it is or move it, it is your choice

• Peconic Paladin likes this

#7 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 05 2018 - 06:33 AM

You could keep your license where it is or move it, it is your choice

Yes, however, the County Pistol License officer/clerk may try and make you transfer the records over to the new address in that county.

#8 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted August 05 2018 - 06:37 AM

Yes, however, the County Pistol License officer/clerk may try and make you transfer the records over to the new address in that county.

Oh yeah, they will most likely try. Let them know what YOUR choice is and stick to it

#9 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 05 2018 - 06:42 AM

Oh yeah, they will most likely try. Let them know what YOUR choice is and stick to it

The County will attempt to tell you have 10 business days to notify us of an address change and that you must pay a transfer fee. I have heard people having to make the change because they had nobody tell them they can keep it in the first applied county, simply make an amendment to the address only.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#10 bfourn1

bfourn1

Respected Gunowner

• 226 posts
  • Locationeast northport

Posted August 06 2018 - 10:02 PM

Well wouldn't the address change on my pistol permit matter as to where my firearms currently reside?  God forbid I had to use a pistol at a new address i move to in nassau, but my pistol permit still say suffolk...id be in trouble no?  If I don't need to notify them great but, the yap hank shuffle isn't as bad in nassau once you switch the license over.

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 07 2018 - 05:08 AM

Well wouldn't the address change on my pistol permit matter as to where my firearms currently reside? God forbid I had to use a pistol at a new address i move to in nassau, but my pistol permit still say suffolk...id be in trouble no? If I don't need to notify them great but, the yap hank shuffle isn't as bad in nassau once you switch the license over.

You would have the new address on the original pistol license. You could keep a Nassau County Pistol License with a Suffolk address listed on it. It's a state license. The county you first applied in could be used in any county except the City of NY.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#12 SpankyTheDolphin

SpankyTheDolphin

Respected Gunowner

• 101 posts
  • Location516

Posted August 07 2018 - 05:10 PM

You would have the new address on the original pistol license. You could keep a Nassau County Pistol License with a Suffolk address listed on it. It's a state license. The county you first applied in could be used in any county except the City of NY.

So if that's the case and I buy a new gun do I go to Nassau or Suffolk pistol office? Doesn't make sense they'd let you have a Nassau permit if you're fully living in Suffolk. I remember a friend of mine having to turn in his Nassau permit and getting a Suffolk one but they didn't do a full on application, just 'transferred' it to Suffolk.

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 07 2018 - 05:40 PM

So if that's the case and I buy a new gun do I go to Nassau or Suffolk pistol office? Doesn't make sense they'd let you have a Nassau permit if you're fully living in Suffolk. I remember a friend of mine having to turn in his Nassau permit and getting a Suffolk one but they didn't do a full on application, just 'transferred' it to Suffolk.

They may try but you don't have to. Only change of address. If you live in Western Suffolk, it's probably faster and easier using Nassau.

#14 SpankyTheDolphin

SpankyTheDolphin

Respected Gunowner

• 101 posts
  • Location516

Posted August 07 2018 - 11:50 PM

They may try but you don't have to. Only change of address. If you live in Western Suffolk, it's probably faster and easier using Nassau.

That's definitely good to know since I was looking at places along the Nassau border like Amityville. Makes it even more silly to have permits when you can have a system like that anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suffolk pistol permit, pistol permit, suffolk, moving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users