Nephew turning 12 in late Aug. Need info on bow/gun hunters safety course on the Island - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Nephew turning 12 in late Aug. Need info on bow/gun hunters safety course on the Island

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColchester,NY & Suffolk, NY

Posted June 13 2018 - 03:33 PM

It has been a 35+ years since I took my archery class at Eastern Taxidermy so can someone convey some info about the courses today. I live upstate and the kid lives in Suffolk so I have to see what fits both our schedules. I see the Hunter Education course is seven hours, but someone told me the course has a second day now but I did not see any info about a second day at the DEC site

My nephew has been shooting his bow for a number of years and just started in with the 22 rifle. He has taken to all of the safety rules well and has been reading the States hunting guide. Wondering are there an practice tests out there.

I see Darkstorm has the Hunter Education class but it is filled already. When I checked some online site, every firearms class seems to be filled already.

Any info on who routinely offers these courses, anyone gear it more to kids as the kid is a little ADHD?

Thanks. 

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 13 2018 - 04:01 PM

It has been a 35+ years since I took my archery class at Eastern Taxidermy so can someone convey some info about about the courses today. I live upstate and the kid lives in Suffolk so I have to see what fits both our schedules. I see the firearms course is seven hours, but I did not see info about the second day.

My nephew has been shooting his bow for a number of years and just started in with the 22 rifle. He has taken to all of the safety rules well and has been reading the States hunting guide. Wondering are there an practice tests out there.

I see Darkstorm has the firearms class but it is filled already. When I checked some online site, every firearms class seems to be filled already.

Any info on who routinely offers these courses, anyone gear it more to kids as the kid is a little ADHD?
Thanks.

Hunter Safety course dates are posted at Mitchell Field. You must be 11 to take the course. Prior to taking any Hunter Safety course, a homework assignment must be completed. I remember T&T Gunnery offered the course before. They offer weekend outdoors classes upstate.

#3 Prtforums

Prtforums

Respected Gunowner

• 252 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 13 2018 - 04:30 PM

I took it at DSI but I don’t see any dates on their website. Here is the link for New York on the Hunter Ed website.

https://www.register...590&distance=50

#4 blue steel

blue steel

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3753 posts

Posted June 13 2018 - 04:48 PM

The Hempstead Bay Constables offer the courses at their HQ down by Lido Beach. Give them a call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users