Basement shooting range - Suffolk County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Basement shooting range

basement shooting range range

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Fully loaded

Fully loaded

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 07 2018 - 10:19 AM

So what do you think the odds are of making a LEGAL shooting range in the basement of your house , signed off by the county and or town you live in. Is it even worth trying. Who wold you even need to ask?
LOADED

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 JR79

JR79

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 74 posts

Posted June 07 2018 - 10:42 AM

Why get the government involved in what you do in your basement? Your just asking for problems.
  • CJ, Swstock, General.rr and 3 others like this

#3 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11492 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted June 07 2018 - 10:50 AM

First look at the cost of the range it self,  backstop, over head plating, lighting ventaltoin. You may find cheaper to just join a range.

• gwbahren, set2374 and Ricekila like this

#4 Sport454

Sport454

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1151 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 07 2018 - 11:47 AM

I was going to do a 75' range UNDER my yard.

Technically, not difficult. 36" tube with lighting & a filter/ventilation unit at the end.

Legally is a totally different issue! You would have to start with the building department  with jurisdiction over what ever town/village you live in.

I suspect their initial reaction would be NO! NO! NO!

IF you had a well laid out plan that addressed safety, sound attenuation & lead & other environmental issues, air quality etc & you could make a good argument to the zoning board, it would be harder for them to say no.

FWIW. I shot over 400 rounds of .27 cal powder actuated fasteners putting up lathe on my basement walls ..... at the property line they were barely audible. The train that was 1/4 mile away was louder!

No one ever said a word [it was on the weekend & everyone was home] This was also in Garden City ..... the village is not known for being very tolerant!

• Ricekila likes this

#5 set2374

set2374

Gun Guru

• 853 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted June 07 2018 - 12:07 PM

As cool as the idea sounds, I can't imagine it would be easy to get the permits and certificate of occupancy.   This isn't the type of thing they review regularly for a residential home or structure.   If you want to shoot in your basement (up to 75feet) , why not just set up an airgun range.   High quality air pistols (like the airgun version of the Sig P320), are designed to mimic the weight and feel of the centerfire P320.   Even the trigger is designed to be a close approximate of the factory trigger in terms of take up, break point etc. (although it's not exactly the same).   You can use splatter targets, but you adjust the size of the target to make make things more challenging and simulate different types of shooting situations.   Building a trap to catch .177 pellets is easy and you wouldn't need a permit.   

#6 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted June 07 2018 - 12:39 PM

When I shot competitively in HS and college, .22s were used at a standard 50', the bullseye in HS being about 3/16" and in college about a third of that.   For International air guns shooting .177 it was 10 meters or 33'.    Shooting diagonally in my crowded basement I used to get about 31' for my Beeman air rifle.  Just haven't done it in a few years, but the last thing I would EVER think about would be to bring "the man" into the picture.   This is NY, and you really are not, and never will be, king of your own castle in this Godforsaken state.

• rlitman likes this

#7 Ricekila

Ricekila

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Others: Established Member
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationSwindlehurst

Posted June 07 2018 - 01:00 PM

I was going to do a 75' range UNDER my yard.

Technically, not difficult. 36" tube with lighting & a filter/ventilation unit at the end.

Legally is a totally different issue! You would have to start with the building department  with jurisdiction over what ever town/village you live in.

I suspect their initial reaction would be NO! NO! NO!

IF you had a well laid out plan that addressed safety, sound attenuation & lead & other environmental issues, air quality etc & you could make a good argument to the zoning board, it would be harder for them to say no.

FWIW. I shot over 400 rounds of .27 cal powder actuated fasteners putting up lathe on my basement walls ..... at the property line they were barely audible. The train that was 1/4 mile away was louder!

No one ever said a word [it was on the weekend & everyone was home] This was also in Garden City ..... the village is not known for being very tolerant!

There was a long retired ( now probably now dead )  judge that lived on Beaver lane next to the first precinct in Suffolk -- he had a 40" concrete drainage tube out of his basement wall about 30' ( ? ) to his property line -- even though he was probably near 90 when I met him -- he used a modified skateboard to change out his targets -- 

Funny this thread -- my basement is 7 yrds long - .22 store bought bullet trap with sand bags all around it -- only one water pipe is anywhere near it - a 4 X 4 post should protect it -- 20" box fan blowing in by one window set on low power --- another one set on high on the other side --- 2 half sheets of plywood on the outside of the windows should cut down on the noise -- using only .22 lr subsonic rounds ---- I'm thinking about it ???

I'd put a pipe under the weeds ( lawn ) but the water table is way to high here --

#8 Fully loaded

Fully loaded

Respected Gunowner

• 139 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 07 2018 - 01:11 PM

As cool as the idea sounds, I can't imagine it would be easy to get the permits and certificate of occupancy.   This isn't the type of thing they review regularly for a residential home or structure.   If you want to shoot in your basement (up to 75feet) , why not just set up an airgun range.   High quality air pistols (like the airgun version of the Sig P320), are designed to mimic the weight and feel of the centerfire P320.   Even the trigger is designed to be a close approximate of the factory trigger in terms of take up, break point etc. (although it's not exactly the same).   You can use splatter targets, but you adjust the size of the target to make make things more challenging and simulate different types of shooting situations.   Building a trap to catch .177 pellets is easy and you wouldn't need a permit.

that is definitely a good idea and I will look into it, thanks

#9 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• 770 posts

Posted June 07 2018 - 02:50 PM

As above AND

see your local ordinances re: a range and required minimum distances from a structure including your own.

#10 set2374

set2374

Gun Guru

• 853 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted June 07 2018 - 03:53 PM

that is definitely a good idea and I will look into it, thanks

Here's a link to the gun:  https://www.sigsauer...air-pistol.html  Here's an air rifle version of the Sig MCX:  https://www.sigsauer...pe-14x24wr.html

#11 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 07 2018 - 04:37 PM

There is a company, I think from Vegas that builds custom shooting ranges inside of a “Connix” box (I don’t know how to spell it. But it looked amazing. I wish I could buy one and extend my garage and put it in there.

#12 gwbahren

gwbahren

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 801 posts

Posted June 07 2018 - 08:20 PM

Before you even start to consider the code specs for putting something like this together, check your local ordinances regarding discharging a firearm.

#13 only7rounds

only7rounds

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 08 2018 - 02:08 AM

I seem to recall that it is a crime to discharge a firearm within a certain distance (500 feet??) of a dwelling. That pretty much covers inside a dwelling.

• gwbahren likes this

#14 Ricekila

Ricekila

Banned

• Banned
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationSwindlehurst

Posted June 08 2018 - 06:28 AM

Think of it like "obammy dont care" --- once you look into it -- they know its you --

#15 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11200 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 08 2018 - 07:14 AM

I seem to recall that it is a crime to discharge a firearm within a certain distance (500 feet??) of a dwelling. That pretty much covers inside a dwelling.

Every local town and village has no discharge laws. Only the police had an exemption for discharging a firearm. The NY DEC ECL will cover the 500' law if a town or village do not have a law on the books.

#16 Fully loaded

Fully loaded

Respected Gunowner

• 139 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 08 2018 - 12:55 PM

Going to look into doing an air pistol range. Thanks for all the advice
LOADED
  • pequa1 likes this

#17 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4904 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted June 08 2018 - 02:38 PM

can't go wrong there.   and no one will know unless you tell them.   (your town probably would still consider it as discharge of a firearm, lol)

• gwbahren and Ricekila like this

#18 Ricekila

Ricekila

Banned

• Banned
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationSwindlehurst

Posted June 08 2018 - 02:55 PM

Can we tax it ?

Can we charge for a renewable permit ?

Can we get into your house to notice other money making opportunites ?

Can we extort funds ?

Can stick our beaks in ?

• pequa1 and gwbahren like this

#19 DellDude

DellDude

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 765 posts

Posted June 08 2018 - 04:00 PM

Suffolk county has ground penetrating radar to find exactly these types of things...

Edited by DellDude, June 08 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#20 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• 1141 posts

Posted June 08 2018 - 09:11 PM

What town on LI doesn't have a no-discharge law ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: basement shooting range, range

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users