New to duck hunting - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

New to duck hunting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kingkev29

Kingkev29

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNy

Posted May 22 2018 - 11:35 PM

Hey there, been searching around for resources on duck hunting for newbies.

I'm a Suffolk resident right next to the nissequoge river. I have a kayak and a Mossberg 590a1.

So I know I need decoys, calls, camo (for myself and kayak) and probably a different firearm.

What would you guys recommend?

Also am I correct in only needing the safety course once in my life, and then getting the tags once a year?

Thanks fellas

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6522 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted May 23 2018 - 04:33 AM

I thought it was wabbit season

#3 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2643 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted May 23 2018 - 09:00 PM

Hey there, been searching around for resources on duck hunting for newbies.

I'm a Suffolk resident right next to the nissequoge river. I have a kayak and a Mossberg 590a1.

So I know I need decoys, calls, camo (for myself and kayak) and probably a different firearm.

What would you guys recommend?

Also am I correct in only needing the safety course once in my life, and then getting the tags once a year?

Thanks fellas

Yes, safety course once. License and duck stamp anually

Shooting from a kayak could be challenging

#4 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 24 2018 - 05:22 AM

A hunter safety course is required along with the appropriate safety equipment while waterfowl hunting. Hypothermia is a big concern for any hunter. Most people who go hunting for the first time give it up up because of not being prepared for sitting in freezing temperatures.
The island offers great waterfowl, smallgame and Deer hunting opportunities.

#5 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted May 24 2018 - 09:26 AM

Boosti hit it on the head regarding hypothermia.   while I never intend to go waterfowling (have had duck in some really good restaurants, and just don't like it, and those were probably grain fed and not eating muddy seaweed) I definitely have been out in some low morning temperatures going for Bambi.   I can't say I wanted to give it up, but there were days when I wished the truck was much closer.   Although it makes me piss a lot, (thank God for snapple bottles) I finally started to bring two thermoses with one of hot tea and the other with plain hot water.     

I also kayak fish, from a fairly wide 14', and would still think twice about discharging a shotgun to my 3 0'clock or 9 o'clock.    A semi would recoil a little less, but you still probably want a 12 gauge or at least a 20.  When I have kayaked in the fall, I usually wear stocking foot neoprene waders, with a zipper sewed in where its really needed,lol, and a wader belt cinched at the waist.  A snug fitting dry top is strongly advised as well.  Studies have shown that both trap air and rather than filling with water, aid your PFD in keeping you afloat, but then you have the hypothermia issue.   I think unless you kayak to an island or marsh and beach it, you might be better off with a dinghy or Portabote.  You probably want the aforementioned waders as they will come in quite handy when setting decoys.

#6 TheKnot

TheKnot

Respected Gunowner

• 200 posts
  • Locationlong island

Posted May 24 2018 - 03:15 PM

I have hunted the nissy for more years than i can count,i shot my first mallard there in 1976  . Reach out to me if you like  and i will meet you at the inlet . I will point out and explain to you what it takes to hunt duck there and give you some advise on what is safe and whats not . I have hunted and fished this river for 40 years and have seen it all on it . A kayak is nice for retreiving ducks and getting to spots , theres no reason to shoot from your craft. For the most part you will be shooting puddle ducks 95% of the time they feed in water 2ft or less and the bottom of the river is wadeable . PS start praticing your calls now! Grit Grit Grit    My friends call me Papa G 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users