Friday, the 13th: tomorrow. Do you know its history? - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Friday, the 13th: tomorrow. Do you know its history?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6264 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted April 12 2018 - 12:48 PM

Why is Friday the 13th considered a bad luck or unlucky day?
    If you’re one of those people, who avoid traveling, going to work, eating in a restaurant or signing important documents, on Friday the 13th, you have paraskevidekatriaphobia. There is no need to call the doctor. It means a fear of Friday the 13th.
    Ever since Christ was crucified, on a Friday, many Christians believe the sixth day of the week to be unlucky, reports InfoPlease.com. In addition, 13 brings bad luck because that is the number of persons who attended the Last Supper. But such superstitions go back even further than some 2,000 years ago. Norse mythology reviled the number 13. Loki, the most loathed of all the Norse gods, crashed a dinner party, designed for 12. As the 13th guest, he was said to cause the death of Balder, the god of light, joy and reconciliation.

Here are some superstitions, about Fridays:
    Never change your bed, on a Friday, as it will give you bad dreams.
    If you start a trip, on a Friday, you’ll have misfortune.
    Cut your nails, on a Friday and you cut them for sorrow.
    If ships set sail, on a Friday, they will have bad luck.
    Friday is the witches’ Sabbath.

Here are some superstitions about the number 13:
    13 is the Devil’s Dozen.
    Should 13 people eat dinner together, all will die, within the year.
    Just as many buildings don’t have a 13th floor, going right from 12 to 14, many cities don’t have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue.

There are 13 witches in a coven.

So, why is Friday, the 13th, supposedly unlucky? The best-selling novel, The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown, describes a popular theory, which claims it’s due to a single, historical event, which happened approximately 700 years ago: the decimation of the Knights Templar. This legendary order of warrior monks, first formed during the Christian Crusades, to battle Islam, was so powerful, by the 1300s, that it was seen as a political threat, to kings and the pope, reports About.com.
    The Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon (Latin: Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Salomonici), also known as the Order of Solomon’s Temple, the Knights Templar or, simply, as Templars, were a Catholic military order, recognized in 1139, by papal bull Omne Datum Optimum, of the Holy See. The order was founded, in 1119, then active, from about 1129, to 1312.
    The Templar order, which was among the wealthiest and most powerful, became a favored charity, throughout Christendom and grew, rapidly, in membership and power. They were prominent, in Christian finance. Templar knights, in their distinctive white mantles, with a red cross, were among the most skilled fighting units of the Crusades. Non-combatant members of the order, who formed as much as 90% of the order’s members, managed a large economic infrastructure, throughout Christendom, developing innovative financial techniques, which were an early form of banking, building its own network of nearly 1,000 commands and fortifications, across Europe and the Holy Land, while, arguably, also forming the world’s first multinational corporation.
    Katharine Kurtz writes, in Tales of the Knights Templar: “On October 13, 1307, a day so infamous that Friday the 13th would become a synonym, for ill fortune, officers of King Philip IV of France [who was deeply in financial debt, to the Templars and with the encouragement, agreement and instigation of the Catholic pope, Clement V] carried out mass arrests, in a well-coordinated dawn raid, which left several thousand Templars (knights, sergeants, priests and serving brethren) in chains, charged with heresy, blasphemy, various obscenities and homosexual practices. None of these charges was ever proven, even in France and the Order was found innocent, elsewhere but, in the seven years following the arrests, hundreds of Templars suffered excruciating tortures, intended to force ‘confessions’ and more than a hundred died, under torture or were executed, by burning, at the stake.”

Gary

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Fourth ID

Fourth ID

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 344 posts
  • LocationMiller Place

Posted April 12 2018 - 01:28 PM

Lucky me.Tomorrow is my birthday.LOL

• a7vette2 likes this

#3 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11496 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted April 13 2018 - 01:23 PM

Lucky me.Tomorrow is my birthday.LOL

Happy birthday.

• Fourth ID likes this

#4 wally

wally

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 196 posts

Posted April 13 2018 - 07:34 PM

happy birthday to Fourth ID and thankyou for an interesting read

#5 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 6264 posts

Posted July 12 2018 - 12:16 PM

Tomorrow, again. 2nd time, this year!!

Gary

#6 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25768 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted July 12 2018 - 02:02 PM

Happy birthday.

Are we still allowed to say that?

#7 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted July 12 2018 - 02:33 PM

Are we still allowed to say that?

You will get banned on another formum if you mentioned it.

#8 Lou G

Lou G

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 947 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 12 2018 - 05:59 PM

Happy Birthday

#9 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 6264 posts

Posted July 13 2018 - 06:38 AM

You will get banned on another formum if you mentioned it.

But THIS forum isn't THAT forum. We're not PC. We're real.

Gary

#10 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted July 13 2018 - 07:33 AM

But THIS forum isn't THAT forum. We're not PC. We're real.
Gary

Happy Birthday!

#11 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted July 13 2018 - 08:29 AM

Its Friday the 13th !!!!
Got engaged on a Friday the 13th in 1980. Married on a 13th. But the following is my somewhat long winded tale of another 13th.

On August 13, 1982, at Fort Drum, I sent out a crew of one of my six Army Reserve howitzers for what was then called a roving gun. They would recon, select, occupy and establish a position (RSOP) away from our main battery location and fire a mission from there. As they pulled away, my mechanic comes walking over to tell me that he had just totalled my jeep by running into the back of a water buffalo (trailer for you guys who never played for Uncle.) Thirty minutes later my Fire Direction Officer comes running over to tell me that battalion claims the roving gun fired out, beyond the safety limits imposed for the impact area, a definitely bad thing. No one hurt, the round impacted on the border, but I decide, with Range control clearance, to recall the roving gun, which promptly flips in the loose shale and turtles on its return to our location. I hop in the XO's jeep (our last one) along with the first sergeant and XO, to get to the flipped over howitzer. Despite it only being a 105(mm), the crew could not flip it back onto its wheels so the three of us added our weight and got it back over. My XO looks at me and asks me what time it is. I looked at him funny as he definitely already knew. It was almost one fifteen, or '1313' funny time. He then prompted me to count how many of us there were out there and of course, there were 13 of us on site, my having sent a few extras to do the roving gun exercise.
and no, it was not a "career-ender" but I will always take note of this date. August 13, 1982 was a Friday.

Sorry for the overage on the explanation Army or Marine guys, but had to for the "uninitiated..."

• Number 2 and a7vette2 like this

#12 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6264 posts

Posted July 13 2018 - 11:10 AM

Happy Birthday!

Thanks but not my birthday.

Gary

#13 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 6264 posts

Posted November 13 2020 - 08:18 AM

Bump, for those who may not have seen it, in past years.

Gary

#14 Strat688

Strat688

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5526 posts
  • LocationEast Setauket

Posted November 13 2020 - 04:44 PM

Yes, it’s the day the King of France ( name escapes me), rounded up The Knights Templar, and accused them of all kinds of crimes including heresy. Many were burned at the stake. Some escaped to Scotland and America.

#15 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2686 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted November 14 2020 - 04:16 PM

Thanks but not my birthday.

Gary

Well it was mine !

#16 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 6264 posts

Posted November 16 2020 - 08:11 AM

Yes, it’s the day the King of France ( name escapes me), rounded up The Knights Templar, and accused them of all kinds of crimes including heresy. Many were burned at the stake. Some escaped to Scotland and America.

King Philip IV.

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users