Tri Fuel Generator - Page 3 - All Other - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Tri Fuel Generator

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 stokes

stokes

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 111 posts
  • LocationNYS

Posted April 16 2018 - 07:49 AM

So much for all this scientific voodoo.Lost power this morning at about 6a.m. It is now 9am and the 20lb tank still hasnt froze up.Running 2 refrigerators,they dont use as much as you might think as long as you avoid opening them,my heat,well pump and pressure tank,hot water heater,some lights,tv a couple of computers my wife uses for work in her office.So far so good.

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#42 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• 1141 posts

Posted April 16 2018 - 07:53 AM

So much for all this scientific voodoo.Lost power this morning at about 6a.m. It is now 9am and the 20lb tank still hasnt froze up.Running 2 refrigerators,they dont use as much as you might think as long as you avoid opening them,my heat,well pump and pressure tank,hot water heater,some lights,tv a couple of computers my wife uses for work in her office.So far so good.

What size genny are you running ?
The voodoo says anything over a 4000 watt may freeze a 20lb cylinder...

#43 stokes

stokes

Respected Gunowner

• 111 posts
  • LocationNYS

Posted April 16 2018 - 08:17 AM

What size genny are you running ?
The voodoo says anything over a 4000 watt may freeze a 20lb cylinder...

8500 watts.Skimmer

#44 DellDude

DellDude

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 765 posts

Posted April 16 2018 - 09:04 AM

Ambient outside temperature has alot to do with freeze ups as well.

#45 stokes

stokes

Respected Gunowner

• 111 posts
  • LocationNYS

Posted April 16 2018 - 09:18 AM

Ambient outside temperature has alot to do with freeze ups as well.

37* right now,almost 4 hrs and no freeze up.Was much colder earlier with sleet falling til about 9am.

#46 stokes

stokes

Respected Gunowner

• 111 posts
  • LocationNYS

Posted April 16 2018 - 12:21 PM

Update,ran it from 6:15 am til 1;15pm.7 hrs wasnt empty but I switched it out.No problem with freezing.The tank did get a coating of ice on the bottom,but ran fine.Oh,this is a store bought tanks,so I assume 15lb not 20.I'm going to let the next one run out to see exactly how much time I get from the 15lbs.I plan to have them filled,not exchange,so I'll get full tanks.

#47 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2172 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted April 16 2018 - 12:53 PM

Update,ran it from 6:15 am til 1;15pm.7 hrs wasnt empty but I switched it out.No problem with freezing.The tank did get a coating of ice on the bottom,but ran fine.Oh,this is a store bought tanks,so I assume 15lb not 20.I'm going to let the next one run out to see exactly how much time I get from the 15lbs.I plan to have them filled,not exchange,so I'll get full tanks.

Freezing comes from too high a withdrawal rate.  Are you running the generator under a load, or just idling it?  Load can really increase how fast you go through fuel.  I load mine up with a heat gun and an electric radiator.

Oh, and OPD BBQ tanks can only be filled with 16lbs of propane.  Many stores give you 14lbs (Blue Rhino is the worst with this).

#48 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2332 posts

Posted April 16 2018 - 04:47 PM

Freezing comes from too high a withdrawal rate. Are you running the generator under a load, or just idling it? Load can really increase how fast you go through fuel. I load mine up with a heat gun and an electric radiator.

Oh, and OPD BBQ tanks can only be filled with 16lbs of propane. Many stores give you 14lbs (Blue Rhino is the worst with this).

WRONG

Get it filled and not exchanged.

Empty it's 19lbs

Full it's 39lbs. If not they are shorting you. The tank WILL take 20lbs.

Your bathroom scale is your friend

#49 stokes

stokes

Respected Gunowner

• 111 posts
  • LocationNYS

Posted April 16 2018 - 07:59 PM

Freezing comes from too high a withdrawal rate.  Are you running the generator under a load, or just idling it?  Load can really increase how fast you go through fuel.  I load mine up with a heat gun and an electric radiator.

Oh, and OPD BBQ tanks can only be filled with 16lbs of propane.  Many stores give you 14lbs (Blue Rhino is the worst with this).

Read the past posts.I lost power,why would I be running it at idle?I'm on my 3rd tank today,no problems with freezing.Almost 8hrs from the one I ran empty.

#50 stokes

stokes

Respected Gunowner

• 111 posts
  • LocationNYS

Posted April 16 2018 - 10:24 PM

Okay,11;15 pm and the power is back on.Almost 18 hrs on 3 tanks.Dont know the exact load in watts,but I used everything I would in a normal day,electric stove,microwave,lights, tv, coffee machine,2 refridgerators,a couple of computers,furnace heat,electric hot water heater, well pump. I got good mileage,pretty close to what I would expect from gasoline,absolutely no freeze up problem.I cant speak for why the conversion people say not to use a 20lb tank,mine came with the 3 fuel option,but I wouldnt worry about using the small tank on an 8500 watt generator.

#51 mikeee

mikeee

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1007 posts

Posted April 17 2018 - 03:41 PM

AFAIK, there are several sizes above a 20lb cylinder that you can legally transport yourself.  Heck, I've seen 100 lb cylinders (they're the same diameter as a BBQ cylinder, but much taller) sold at Costco.  30lb cylinders are common on RVs.

My understanding is that aside from in tunnels (where regulations are different), you can privately (in a car) transport propane in cylinders of gross weight under 220lbs (and I think that you can technically carry 440lbs in aggregate).  There's nothing I know of different in Nassau or Suffolk, but I'd love to know if I'm wrong about that.

nassau, suffolk and nyc limit transportation of cylinders over 20lbs as illegal as of last year . https://twitter.com/...357213926076416httpswitter.com/NCFireMarshalNY/status/883357213926076416

#52 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2172 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted April 17 2018 - 06:27 PM

nassau, suffolk and nyc limit transportation of cylinders over 20lbs as illegal as of last year . https://twitter.com/...357213926076416httpswitter.com/NCFireMarshalNY/status/883357213926076416

What the heck?!? Materials of the trade should be an exception to this.

#53 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11492 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted April 17 2018 - 11:32 PM

Found a like new Generac for a song was just about to buy when my wife called and said we are screwed here boss don't take enough taxes out and we owe 5800 to the feds. FML.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users