What is it like to shoot a handgun? - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

What is it like to shoot a handgun?

handgun pistol feeling

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SHALL_NOT

SHALL_NOT

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 26 2018 - 07:32 PM

I have fired a 12 and 28 gauge shotgun, a .22 rifle, and .44 magnum rifle, but have never fired a handgun. I have of course fired pellet guns and I imagine it is very different though.

If i am lucky enough to be able to get my handgun permit what can i expect?

Also, any advice on how to prepare myself? Go to some NRA/GOA classes?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7317 posts

Posted March 26 2018 - 08:19 PM

There will be a wide range of experience depending on the gun. Shooting a.22lr pistol will be like shooting a BB gun. Shooting a .44 magnum a totally different experience. Loud bang, flash of fire from the barrel and muzzle flip like someone tried to violently jerk the gun out of your hands.

You don't need luck to get a pistol license. Fill out the application and unless you've got something significant in your background (felony, domestic violence, multiple misdemeanor or serious traffic violations, serious mental health issues, etc.) you should be able to get a license.

I would definitely recommend an NRA or some other basic pistol class that workers its way up to live fire.

• Gary_Hungerford and Peconic Paladin like this

#3 Range Time

Range Time

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 227 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted March 26 2018 - 08:45 PM

I have fired a 12 and 28 gauge shotgun, a .22 rifle, and .44 magnum rifle, but have never fired a handgun. I have of course fired pellet guns and I imagine it is very different though.
If i am lucky enough to be able to get my handgun permit what can i expect?

Also, any advice on how to prepare myself? Go to some NRA/GOA classes?

Once you get your license, start out by going to the Medford range and renting either a .22 semi-auto or a .38 revolver. Once you feel comfortable, rent a 9mm. Then buy the one you enjoyed shooting the most, and practice with it a lot.

Classes are a good idea, but they are not necessary. Be slow and methodical with everything you do. Safety is paramount. Accuracy comes later.

#4 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 26 2018 - 08:50 PM

Yo man it's like BLABLAM KABOOM. You'll be lile WOW bro then you go all gansta be like BLABLAM BLABLAM BLABLAM TaKS DAT MUDDAFUDGEA. DEN YOU BE all chill like dat nothing yo.

Really it different for all guns 22s 9mm 38apl 357mags 40cal 10mm 44spl 44mag 45 APC 45LC 454 460 500 all shoot diferent. You can take a course even rent a couple of guns. But it not some life changing event.

• grifhunter, covertjy and Camaro45th like this

#5 depiazzy

depiazzy

Respected Gunowner

• 134 posts
  • Locationislip

Posted March 27 2018 - 05:11 AM

It’s horrible. It leaves a temporary case of PTSD. The gun powder burns your eyes. Just kidding. That what cnn says it’s like. Like stated apply for your permit. Go thru the process it’s not difficult at all just takes time. Then head to a local range that rents. Medford I know does. I believe dark stork industries in oak dale has a program for first time shooters but I’m not 100%. Although any rental you need your permit. Unless you know someone who has handguns and you can shoot them at calverton with them present. In short there a lot of fun when you use them correctly.

#6 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 4046 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted March 27 2018 - 05:17 AM

Yo man it's like BLABLAM KABOOM. You'll be lile WOW bro then you go all gansta be like BLABLAM BLABLAM BLABLAM TaKS DAT MUDDAFUDGEA. DEN YOU BE all chill like dat nothing yo.

I just couldn't resist posting this again.  You may have seen it on the Mossberg posting from our newbie.  They should offer English as a first language at schools again. LOL

#7 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 27 2018 - 05:46 AM

Frustrating...

Fun...

But still frustrating...

:computerhit  :computerhit  :computerhit

• VolkoSupply likes this

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11308 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 27 2018 - 05:54 AM

I just couldn't resist posting this again.  You may have seen it on the Mossberg posting from our newbie.  They should offer English as a first language at schools again. LOL

It's so strange when speaking with someone from the hood can pronounce the word Aunt like an articulate educated English teacher.

#9 TheKnot

TheKnot

Respected Gunowner

• 204 posts
  • Locationlong island

Posted June 24 2018 - 07:22 PM

Shooting a pistol well is as good as it gets , knowing you can protect yourself is priceless . And luck has nothing to do with getting a permit it's your civil right if you have kept your nose clean 

#10 iGreg

iGreg

Right-wing Sith

• Donated Member
  • 6409 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 24 2018 - 09:51 PM

Once you get your license, start out by going to the Medford range and renting either a .22 semi-auto or a .38 revolver. Once you feel comfortable, rent a 9mm. Then buy the one you enjoyed shooting the most, and practice with it a lot.

Classes are a good idea, but they are not necessary. Be slow and methodical with everything you do. Safety is paramount. Accuracy comes later.

When I started, I found shooting 9 mm pistols easier than a snub .38 revolver.   The .38 seemed to have more kick than the pistol. I do not know what powder grain ammo the pistol was shooting, so it is possible that had a baring on the kick.

P.S. Always use both hands in the beginning. ;)

Edited by iGreg, June 24 2018 - 09:57 PM.

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11308 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 25 2018 - 07:57 AM

When I started, I found shooting 9 mm pistols easier than a snub .38 revolver.   The .38 seemed to have more kick than the pistol. I do not know what powder grain ammo the pistol was shooting, so it is possible that had a baring on the kick.

P.S. Always use both hands in the beginning. ;)

A snub-nosed j frame .38 Special isn't fun to shoot. Most people who own a snub-nosed rarely shoot them because of the recoil. A 9mm actually is cheaper to shoot and offers better ballistics when using +P and +P+ compared to .38 Special. The 9mm is the most popular caliber in the U.S.A. for a reason.

#12 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• 2151 posts

Posted June 25 2018 - 12:16 PM

It feels amazing. Very powerful. As Homer says, "Like God when he's holding a gun."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: handgun, pistol, feeling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users