Suffolk County squirrel hunting. - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Suffolk County squirrel hunting.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snubbynose

snubbynose

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted March 25 2018 - 08:11 AM

I'm looking at getting my hunting license. What are you legally allowed to use while hunting small game such as squirrel in Suffolk county.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 25 2018 - 08:25 AM

Rifles and handgun firearms are not allowed.   when you get your license (after taking the required Hunner Safety course) make sure you get the Hunting regulations booklet.

Go to the DEC website at http://www.dec.ny.go...door/28182.html  and "hunt" around in it.   You will see that you may use air guns for squirrels, as well as shotguns and bows, but not crossbows, not on Long Island.

As an aside I recently saw that Mepps is still offering fishing lures to those sending them squirrel tails for their Muskie lure line.

• boosti likes this

#3 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11553 posts

Posted March 26 2018 - 04:06 PM

Rifles and handgun firearms are not allowed.   when you get your license (after taking the required Hunner Safety course) make sure you get the Hunting regulations booklet.

Go to the DEC website at http://www.dec.ny.go...door/28182.html  and "hunt" around in it.   You will see that you may use air guns for squirrels, as well as shotguns and bows, but not crossbows, not on Long Island.

As an aside I recently saw that Mepps is still offering fishing lures to those sending them squirrel tails for their Muskie lure line.

I thought air guns were still excluded for LI....   and the squirret tails for lures?    NOT worth it IMO, they pay so little you'd need to have a squirrel farm to make a dollar....  and the lures? hell, make your own!

#4 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2684 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted March 26 2018 - 04:20 PM

This thread is getting a bit squirrely !

#5 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 26 2018 - 07:31 PM

I thought air guns were still excluded for LI....   and the squirret tails for lures?    NOT worth it IMO, they pay so little you'd need to have a squirrel farm to make a dollar....  and the lures? hell, make your own!

You are correct.   The last time I mailed in squirrel tails to Mepps I got much more in return than they are offering now.   I do use the tails from the deer I have harvested for my fluke bucktails (Terminal Tackle in Kings Park has all the "fixins.")

I have to research the air gun thing again.  I thought they were OK'd recently by DEC.  (I confine my hunting now to just deer.   Never liked the taste of duck in restaurants and I only kill what I eat.)

Edited to add:   Can not find anywhere on the DEC website that the use of an airgun for hunting is prohibited in Suffolk county.   (Of course they can not be used for waterfowl, big game, pheasant or turkey.)

Perusal of said regs did find notations that crossbows are again not legal for hunting in Suffolk or Westchester.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users