Air Rifle Repair - Gun Stores & Gunsmiths - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Air Rifle Repair

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sparkie

Sparkie

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty

Posted March 08 2018 - 07:26 PM

Hi All,

I have a couple of older Air rifles that I would like repaired and do not wish to ship them to NC or Tulsa to get them fixed.  Someone mentioned there was a shooter that came to Brookhaven Range who can fix them. I would like to learn how to fix them as well. Then I can keep them up to snuff.

A Gunsmith may not be able to do the work as it is like comparing Apple and Apes. 

So anyone know of a reliable Airgun Smith on the Ilse of Long (taxes)?

thanks

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Localx

Localx

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 246 posts

Posted March 08 2018 - 08:16 PM

What type of guns?

#3 Sparkie

Sparkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty

Posted March 08 2018 - 08:30 PM

blue streak and Benji 312

#4 Sparkie

Sparkie

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty

Posted March 08 2018 - 08:32 PM

Do you repair, these need either new seals or pump cups. I may go it alone. A sheri is a sweet shoot to be sure, I am trying to get out weekly to Brookhaven range, air rifle section.

#5 gwbahren

gwbahren

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 801 posts

Posted March 09 2018 - 06:59 AM

Sorry about the minor derail, but does your Sheridan shoot .20cal?  If so, is ammo easy to find?

Up until about 6 years ago we had an excellent place for airgun service in Ronkonkoma, Cobra airguns.  He went out quick, with no notice or forwarding info.

#6 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 09 2018 - 07:21 AM

just don't go to that place in Coram.   no names needed.   

#7 Sparkie

Sparkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty

Posted March 09 2018 - 11:43 AM

Cobra left w/o warning and people lost air guns and deposits. He would tell people to shoot out side door which overlooked a parking lot. I read in paper how some locals were getting the political clout to ban Air giuns entirely in Suffolk Cty and he was cited as the reason, and it made the Newsday when it happened. And neighbors to his back were just as ticked at him.

I went there once, they were very nice to me, and simply handed me a gun and can of pellets and they pointed at the door. That was when I realized how they ran the enterprize. They were pretty cool, but lousy neighbors and incurred the wrath of politicians. Price wise they were soso, other places were better, and seemed more knowlegable.

I may have a lead on a repair guy. I need to learn it as I have a number of oldies and once you learn a type you can fix most or all in that class, or by that maker. Trigger groups are another story. My Blue Streak and a non functioning Benji have superb triggers, my Nitro piston has more kerthunk if you hunt, and is pretty quiet actually, a 22 rim fire is not. I have others that are louder then a rim fire. But the trigger on the Trail NP is total skunk. I need to break down and buy a couple of triggers as they work in several iterations of Crosman and Gamo. I could do a bull at 100 yards with a 25 cal PCP and a huge scope. Amazing, no sound downrange and I believe 36+ ft pnds at target, with right ammo. There is no sound practically with your ear to the stock. For hunting use boatatil(ish) pellets, not commom, in 30 cal. at 1100 fps. The CF is very small so the velocity out is maintained throughto the wack at the terminus. Quite intriguing. If you back it down to 1000 fps, no sonic crack.  Now at that point you are silent, and lethal, if bunnies and armadillo and things up to coyote size are very doable.

But I am off here. I just wanna have fun. I only shoot paper or Plastic Dinosaurs. If it stays dry I hope to be out east this week coming.

#8 Sparkie

Sparkie

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty

Posted March 09 2018 - 11:52 AM

My Sherri's are real and are 20 cal, not a lot of selection. The man who designed the gun first designed what he felt was a better cal/pellet, then designed the gun.

• gwbahren likes this

#9 set2374

set2374

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 853 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted March 09 2018 - 12:22 PM

There are plenty of places online where you can buy repair kits with replacement seals, springs, gaskets etc.  Here's one for pre-1985 Benji and Sheri guns:  https://www.pyramyda...dered_Valve/624  I would think this would be a DIY project????   I have done that kind of work on real guns plenty of times, I can't see why it would be so different for an air gun????   

#10 Sparkie

Sparkie

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNassau Cty

Posted March 09 2018 - 03:06 PM

Maybe  the sherridan is doable  for some, the other requires special tool or two and screw up will cost cold hard cash. A Benjamin has soldered in place pressure capsule. It also has lead washers, The Sherry and the benji may have asbestos as well. The good news is, if done right I won't outlive the gun.  My NP will need a tune soon and it needs a buffer as do the various pumpers. And while apart one must use the right lubricants. people buy Crosman "Pell Oil" errr it is NON Detergent 30 wt motor oil with red dye in it. Some oils or greases will melt (fastst or over time), rings and seals. I have a few Alky burners that have O rings in them.... I used break line antifreeze, 99%pure methanol. well there is something else in it to lube the internals and that thing will melt the o rings. If you need a tube of 30 weight I can give toy some . I bought a quart, should last a thousand years.

Learning how to fix your own toys is great, it is not just cheaper, it feels good. I will be ordering a new trigger for the NP and may do a roller bearing for the springers. If it feels good I will do them all at $35 a pop. Then you get a much better trigger, and safer then the Roller Bearing Trick. And it is not hard as long as you choose the right replacement. If the gun is under warrantee simply remember replace the old trigger and space b4 returning it. They do not send back "your" gun, so you will lose the trigger.  I asked about voiding the warrenty and they said a trigger replacement is so simple , we won't hold it against you as it does nothing except make the pull easier/more natural. But if you send it back, put back the old trigger, your warrenty will be ok. I believe 4 of my AR's have the same crappy trigger. ( 3 crosman 1 gamo ).

then there are the pistols.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users