First AR, rounds not ejecting? SOLVED - Page 2 - AR - [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

First AR, rounds not ejecting? SOLVED

dsi fte eject

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 11 2018 - 01:17 AM

Found a bunch of forum threads about this:

From https://www.ar15.com...61670/#i4254803

I realize this is like WebMD to diagnose yourself, but does this sound plausible?

That thread is for a AR10 in 308 which are known to be over gassed. 

What is your gas system and stock set up. If it's  DSI built gun they would have the right parts in it, if you built it you my have the wrong spring or weight.

But like I mention before some AR lile to be wet.  

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#22 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 11 2018 - 12:26 PM

That thread is for a AR10 in 308 which are known to be over gassed. 

What is your gas system and stock set up. If it's  DSI built gun they would have the right parts in it, if you built it you my have the wrong spring or weight.

But like I mention before some AR lile to be wet.  

Off the shelf DSI Lightning. No mods. Only put ~250 rounds through it (the box of Fiocchi 223 that worked fine, then 40x Federal 223 that jammed, then 3x Federal 5.56 where the 3rd one jammed, and I packed up and left).

https://www.dark-sto...56-rifle-black/

#23 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2723 posts

Posted March 11 2018 - 05:53 PM

Bring it back in, any day of the week and we will check it out for you.  Make sure you bring some of your problem ammo with you as well.  Every rifle is test fired before it is delivered.  That said, it is only a total of 10 rounds and it may not catch every problem.  Just bring it in and we'll figure it out.

#24 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 11 2018 - 06:02 PM

Cool… brought it in this morning actually and was told I had to drop it off so the gunsmith can check it out when he gets in on Wednesday or Saturday. Wasn’t asked for any ammo, but it happened with federal .223 and federal 5.56.

#25 TheKnot

TheKnot

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 205 posts
  • Locationlong island

Posted March 11 2018 - 08:32 PM

I would put atleast 1500 rounds through and clean it 5 times before it goes back for stove pipeing. Your gun needs to break in just like every thing else with moving parts . I have friends with DSI guns all run everything no issues after break in

#26 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 11 2018 - 09:31 PM

I would put atleast 1500 rounds through and clean it 5 times before it goes back for stove pipeing. Your gun needs to break in just like every thing else with moving parts . I have friends with DSI guns all run everything no issues after break in

I would love to put 1500 rounds through it, but it jams every 3-5 rounds.  I understand that the gun needs to be broken in, but this doesn't seem like a "typical new-gun issue." Also, it didn't start until after I put the first 200 rounds through it.  

Just to summarize the ammo situation:

Sunday March 4th:

That night, I made this post asking about the issue, and was told my best bet was to clean and lube the gun, which I did, and to shoot 5.56 instead of .223, which I purchased. I went back to the range yesterday, March 10th, and loaded a mag with Federal American Eagle 5.56 55gr, part number XM193BK150.  The third round I fired jammed in the same way as the .223, deforming the chambered round.  Rather than waste time with a gun that was malfunctioning, I packed up and left, and today dropped the gun off at DSI for repair. Maybe it will turn out to be something dumb, and my fault, as I am an admitted newbie at this, but whatever it is I hope at least they are able to replicate the problem, as it happened with two completely different types of ammo.  

#27 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2345 posts

Posted March 12 2018 - 09:12 AM

Shoot it before you leave DSI to confirm repair

You will thank me later
  • kdog likes this

#28 CumminsSlayer

CumminsSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted March 12 2018 - 05:48 PM

1500 rounds to break in a rifle?  Sorry but that's absurd. A new rifle should be cycling properly out of the box.

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#29 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 16 2018 - 01:54 PM

Haven’t heard anything since I dropped the gun off. Guy who took it from me said the gunsmith is there Wednesdays and Saturdays so hopefully I’ll hear something tomorrow.

#30 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11312 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 16 2018 - 02:00 PM

Haven’t heard anything since I dropped the gun off. Guy who took it from me said the gunsmith is there Wednesdays and Saturdays so hopefully I’ll hear something tomorrow.

Definitely ask them if they function tested it since they have an indoor range see if they will let you shoot a few rounds with it.

#31 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2345 posts

Posted March 16 2018 - 02:52 PM

Definitely ask them if they function tested it since they have an indoor range see if they will let you shoot a few rounds with it.

If they won't let you test it in their range for free then pay the range fee BUT tell Pete you want your $$Range fee back if it malfunctions.

Thank me later

Edited by Shotgun682, March 16 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#32 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 16 2018 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely fire it at their range before leaving.

#33 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 16 2018 - 04:25 PM

Just called the store for a status update. Nobody has looked at my gun and the guy who answered the phone said they might not even get to it tomorrow, so I’ll have to wait another week. When I dropped it off for repair I was told the gunsmith comes in on Wednesday and the owner might take a look at it as well. It sounds like neither of those statements were correct. Speaking as a new customer I have to say I am very unimpressed so far.

#34 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11312 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 16 2018 - 04:41 PM

Just called the store for a status update. Nobody has looked at my gun and the guy who answered the phone said they might not even get to it tomorrow, so I’ll have to wait another week. When I dropped it off for repair I was told the gunsmith comes in on Wednesday and the owner might take a look at it as well. It sounds like neither of those statements were correct. Speaking as a new customer I have to say I am very unimpressed so far.

Sorry to hear that, I was lucky with my last visit my first visit wasn't positive, salesman tried to sell me an AR that was not properly installed. Sadly he said DSI has loose tolerances on all ARs they make to be more reliable.
Hopefully the owner reads your post and can help you out.

#35 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 17 2018 - 04:38 PM

Bring it back in, any day of the week and we will check it out for you.  Make sure you bring some of your problem ammo with you as well.  Every rifle is test fired before it is delivered.  That said, it is only a total of 10 rounds and it may not catch every problem.  Just bring it in and we'll figure it out.

I brought it in on Sunday 3/11 (the morning you posted this) and was told the gunsmith would take a look at it Wednesday or Saturday (today), or else one of the owners would look at it.  It's been a week now, and I even called this afternoon to find out what's up and was told it wasn't ready. Part of the reason I picked DSI was the "lifetime warranty" but if it's going to take weeks just to get someone to look at a brand new gun that's not working properly, what's the point of that?  Sorry if this sounds pissy but I spent almost $1500 on this gun after waiting almost a year for my bonus, and it started malfunctioning after 200 rounds.  First you told me (in this thread) it was because it wasn't cleaned, and it can only shoot 5.56 for the first 500 rounds (which nobody ever said at the shop, and it does not say in the manual). Then I cleaned it and bought 5.56 and it still happened.  It seems something is wrong with the gun itself but making it right is not a priority for DSI. I picked DSI because I wanted to support a local business but this experience makes me feel like I was suckered.

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#36 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 18 2018 - 01:23 PM

Called today and was told it wasn’t ready and would need to wait another week. I asked if it was in a state where I could come pick it up and get it fixed somewhere else. The rep called me back and said it was actually fixed, I could come pick it up. I’m busy today but hopefully I’ll get it on Tuesday and test it out at the range. Will update the thread then.

#37 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 23 2018 - 07:05 PM

Picked the gun up Tuesday, but due to the weather I couldn’t test fire it at the range at dsi. Just left the range. First round fired jammed. I tried about 20 different rounds and about 40-50% of them jammed. Also, 3 of the shots, the bolt apparently didn’t reset. I had to pull it back with the charging handle. This thing is a piece of shit. Don’t buy DSI.

#38 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2345 posts

Posted March 23 2018 - 07:12 PM

Picked the gun up Tuesday, but due to the weather I couldn’t test fire it at the range at dsi. Just left the range. First round fired jammed. I tried about 20 different rounds and about 40-50% of them jammed. Also, 3 of the shots, the bolt apparently didn’t reset. I had to pull it back with the charging handle. This thing is a piece of shit. Don’t buy DSI.

WTF I TOLD TWICE to not leave without firing it.

#39 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 23 2018 - 07:23 PM

Is Federal known to be bad ammo?

#40 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 23 2018 - 07:24 PM

WTF I TOLD TWICE to not leave without firing it.

yup, you did, but all I can say is I couldn’t. Had other shit going on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dsi, fte, eject

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users