First AR, rounds not ejecting? SOLVED - AR - [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

First AR, rounds not ejecting? SOLVED

dsi fte eject

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 04 2018 - 07:19 PM

Hi all,

Got my first AR (from DSI) a couple weeks ago, a DS-15 Lightning.  I took it to the range last week for the first time and put 100 rounds of Fiocchi 223 through it without issue.  I went back today to finish the box and put another 100 rounds through it, again without issue.  Then I tried some Federal American Eagle 223 rounds and of the 40 rounds I loaded, probably 6 or 7 of them did this:

https://i.imgur.com/eNSqfoq.jpg

This was the Fiocchi ammo: https://i.imgur.com/DH9veJi.jpg

This was the Federal ammo: https://i.imgur.com/QnELC6Z.jpg

So my question is, is this due to the ammo? Something with the gun? Or is this common if the gun isn't cleaned after 200 rounds?  

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a newbie issue.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1670 posts

Posted March 04 2018 - 07:31 PM

Take the gun back.
  • Blade21 likes this

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11301 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 04 2018 - 07:34 PM

When I bought my brand new DSI AR, the salesman did recommend to break it in with NATO 5.56 high velocity ammunition.
I did experience a problem later, an out of spec part causing malfunctions. I would call or to go in person. The staff was very helpful when I returned my AR for service.
  • Parashooter and kdog like this

#4 anthonyr

anthonyr

Junior

• 305 posts

Posted March 04 2018 - 07:55 PM

Not to hijack your thread but I have an a.r that will not cycle tula ammo steel case fails to feed or eject everytime. Fiocchi is 1 every 10 fAils....i don't get it

#5 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2723 posts

Posted March 04 2018 - 09:37 PM

The manual included with the rifle describes the break-in, cleaning and lubrication procedures.  Any quality AR rifle has tight tolerances and need to be properly cleaned and maintained.  If you have not cleaned or lubricated the rifle since you bought it, that is the place to start.  Follow the instructions and use the provided bottle of CLP and you should be good.  That said, as stated above, we do recommend you stick with 5.56 for the first 500 rounds.  .223 is less powerful and can cause cycling issues if the rifle is not fully broken in.  9 out of 10 times, a cleaning and lubrication will fix your early cycling issues.

• Parashooter and kdog like this

#6 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 04 2018 - 11:05 PM

Yes what he said clean and lube it. Some ammo is dirtier then others and will gum up a new gun pretty quick.

One of my ARs like to be wet the other not as much.

#7 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 05 2018 - 12:35 AM

The manual included with the rifle describes the break-in, cleaning and lubrication procedures.  Any quality AR rifle has tight tolerances and need to be properly cleaned and maintained.  If you have not cleaned or lubricated the rifle since you bought it, that is the place to start.  Follow the instructions and use the provided bottle of CLP and you should be good.  That said, as stated above, we do recommend you stick with 5.56 for the first 500 rounds.  .223 is less powerful and can cause cycling issues if the rifle is not fully broken in.  9 out of 10 times, a cleaning and lubrication will fix your early cycling issues.

Gotcha. I feel dumb not having read the manual, though in looking it over tonight I didn't see any mention of shooting 556 for the first 500 rounds in the manual. Will definitely stick with 556 for the next 500.

This video a good walkthrough on cleaning & lubing? 

#8 Hummer

Hummer

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted March 09 2018 - 01:11 PM

It is coming out from under extractor.  If you have a buddy there try his bolt group in your rifle and see if it still does it.  You could have a weak extractor spring as well. Also check the ejector  to see if it is binding. On the cases that do come out what angle are they being ejected at?

#9 set2374

set2374

Gun Guru

• 853 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted March 09 2018 - 02:22 PM

Standard Fiocchi and Federal .223 brass ammo is decent/average ammo.   There's more powerful stuff out there (a lot actually), but it should work properly in any AR.   Every AR will have a stovepipe ever now and then with a weak load, but this seems to be happening too often with you.   You might want to try some .62 grain green tips (5.56) to help break the gun in a little more.  You should ask check the extractor on your bolt.   Pop it out and make sure its' well lubed and has a rubber gasket.  If that doesn't help, bring it back to DSI and let them go over the gun.  You may need a lighter buffer or a different buffer spring????   New guns sometimes need a couple of hundred rounds to break in, so it may just need some time.   

#10 William Anthony

William Anthony

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 447 posts
  • LocationEast Quogue L.I. N.Y.

Posted March 09 2018 - 04:29 PM

I had a jamming problem on my AR last time I went to the range. Not sure if it was.223 or 556 cause I tend to use both and didn't have a problem for the first couple hundred rounds , but the last time at the range it was jamming the ejected round and not letting the next round feed . Since I have a fixed Mag I have to load it from the top and it seemed if I didn't make sure to push the round all the way back in the Mag when loading it would jam. Never did it before but I started to make sure the round was seated all the way to the rear in the MAg  and it no longer jammed... Go Figure ???

#11 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 10 2018 - 12:17 PM

Ok, over the past week I cleaned and lubed the BCG and barrel and got them looking brand new. Today I went and bought a box of Federal 5.56 and went back to the range. After 3 rounds I had the same jam issue. After some more Googling it looks like this is referred to as a "stovepipe jam" and can sometimes be remedied by replacing ejector springs?  Is this a common issue in a brand new gun?

#12 Ricekila

Ricekila

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Others: Established Member
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationSwindlehurst

Posted March 10 2018 - 12:23 PM

Pics of jam ?

#13 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 10 2018 - 01:36 PM

Jam: https://i.imgur.com/nlJSzYy.jpg

Ammo: https://i.imgur.com/7JOjPbU.jpg

I should add that when this happens, the next round is half-chambered.  The extracted round gets wedged between the next round and the top of the chamber, causing the next round to become malformed, so in addition to jamming it wastes good ammo.

#14 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 10 2018 - 01:44 PM

I would bring it back to DSI and bring the ammo. 

#15 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 10 2018 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, gonna go tomorrow AM I guess. Would go today (apparently the gunsmith is only there Saturdays) but got some family stuff to do.

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11301 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 10 2018 - 02:04 PM

Yeah, gonna go tomorrow AM I guess. Would go today (apparently the gunsmith is only there Saturdays) but got some family stuff to do.

I was lucky with my AR problem, one guy came over and knew exactly what was the problem. Sometimes parts are defective and they can get it repaired as you wait.

#17 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 10 2018 - 02:33 PM

I was lucky with my AR problem, one guy came over and knew exactly what was the problem. Sometimes parts are defective and they can get it repaired as you wait.

That would be awesome. My hope is, someone who works there takes it into their range and puts a few rounds through it and sees the issue, fixes it, demonstrates it's fixed.  Googling "stovepipe jam ar15" I see it's relatively common so hopefully it's an easy fix. But I already sunk so much money into this thing (wife not happy), hopefully it's nothing too expensive. 

#18 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2344 posts

Posted March 10 2018 - 03:54 PM

Sounds like a "double feed" to me. Normally that is a magazine/ extractor/ejector issue.

Bring ammo and shoot it in the range.
Don't leave with the rifle without shooting it in their range and confirming that it is repaired.
  • VolkoSupply likes this

#19 kdog

kdog

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 10 2018 - 09:17 PM

Found a bunch of forum threads about this:

In your case, if you didn't make any changes to the upper and you're using reasonably hot loads, very good chance that the cycle speed of the action is too fast and the case isn't getting out of the action fast enough before the bolt closes on it. You need to retard the cycle speed, which could include reducing the amount of gas, using a longer gas system length to change the timing, a heavier buffer to slow opening of the action, or a buffer that absorbs energy at the end of the action cycle as it hits the back of the buffer tube. 

From https://www.ar15.com...61670/#i4254803

I realize this is like WebMD to diagnose yourself, but does this sound plausible?

#20 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 656 posts

Posted March 11 2018 - 12:10 AM

Not sure if it's too fast (or just a new tight bolt), but I was going to suggest at least looking at buffer.  I'm not a gunsmith (I don't even know a gunsmith), but I know that different gassing systems (pistol, carbine, mid-length and rifle) require different weight for the buffer.  Not sure what length gassing system you are using, but the buffer might be the problem.

Here's a video:

https://www.brownell...l.htm?lid=17455

The taking it back for a look at is a decent idea.  I'm too lazy for that and would opt to run at least 100 rounds of 5.56 through it, then clean the bolt off, lube the hell out of it, and try running the 223 again.  THEN, if it still wasn't ejecting properly, I'd bring it back for a look (at least then I would figure I had given it my best shot).  BUT...if it turns out to be something as simple as the wrong buffer weight, you had a bit of a crappy time at the range farting around with FTE's.  So, maybe better to just bring it back for a look.  BUT...if you'r gonna have to wait till at least next Saturday for someone to look at it...may as well tinker yourself.  But, like bootsi suggested, maybe it's an obvious or simple problem and they can fix it while you wait, by swapping out some broken/defective or wrong part.

Edited by JustPractical, March 11 2018 - 12:20 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dsi, fte, eject

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users