Newbie looking for advice - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Newbie looking for advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ironshaolin

ironshaolin

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1120 posts

Posted January 18 2018 - 02:53 PM

I grew up in PA surrounded by hunters and dreaming of getting my license. By the time I was old enough, I got out for 3 or 4 squirrel hunts before my family moved to Long Island. This was 20 years ago, and I'm now looking to get back into it. To start off, I figure its best to just get my license and get out there with what I have instead of investing in new gear or equipment, and then as I get more into it expand. So I'm hoping by fall of 2018 to start off with small game hunting. I have a 10/22 I plan on using to hunt squirrels or rabbits. So I know there's no hunting on LI with a .22, and my schedule is pretty busy so I would prefer something not too far. Does anyone have any advice they can give me on getting started? Registering for a license, is my 20 year old hunter's safety course still good, necessary gear, how much orange do I have to wear, or suggestions of where I can go hunt that's a reasonable driving distance from NYC? Thank you in advance

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• 2151 posts

Posted January 18 2018 - 04:23 PM

Registering for a license, is my 20 year old hunter's safety course still good,

You will just need proof of the hunter safety course or proof that you previously held a hunting license in ANY US state.

Sorry, but this is the extent of my contributions to the thread. You've hit the one of two major gun areas I'm severely lacking knowledge of. The other is black powder.

• ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 18 2018 - 04:37 PM

Hunter Safety Orange is not required by law in New York like Pennsylvania. Squirrel Hunting starts in September which allows the use of a .22 rimfire.
Rabbit Hunting doesn't allow .22 rimfire and opens in October in upstate. If you have any proof of an out of state Hunting license or Hunter Safety Course you should have no problems getting a NY Big Game Small game license.
You will have to settle for state land. You may get lucky and meet a friend or relative who might have plenty of land upstate.

#4 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 18 2018 - 10:28 PM

If you live in NYC, you might want to check out the Metropolitan Rod and Gun Club http://www.metrorgc.org/.

I took my NYS Hunter Ed course there. They are a great group of people and avid hunters. In addition to their indoor archery, .22 rifle and pistol range, they also have their own hunting property upstate.

#5 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 721 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted August 22 2018 - 10:37 PM

I'm also curious if anyone would recommend taking those guided tours from online? How does one learn the ropes if they do not know a seasoned hunter?

#6 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• 3251 posts

Posted August 24 2018 - 01:28 AM

Take a hunter safety course. Alot of hunting questions get answerwd as the instructor goes off topic to talk about his hunts.

#7 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11496 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted August 24 2018 - 01:56 AM

Buy a shotgun hunt the island. Sooner or later your going to want to shoot trap and skeet so buy one a combo preferably with a rifle barrel

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 24 2018 - 07:38 AM

Buy a shotgun hunt the island. Sooner or later your going to want to shoot trap and skeet so buy one a combo preferably with a rifle barrel

Before anyone can hunt in New York. They must have a valid hunting license. I wouldn't recommend telling people to go out and hunt unless they have a place to hunt on Long Island.

#9 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 721 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted August 24 2018 - 11:38 AM

I have had a hunters license for two years, but never gone because I just don’t know where to go. I already have a shotgun, but it is all the unanswered stuff, like how do transport a deer carcass, and where do you find a butcher, and etc, that’s kept me from going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users