whats a good hunting scope? - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

whats a good hunting scope?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tenchu

Tenchu

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBethpage

Posted January 15 2018 - 08:04 PM

good evening all and how are you? so I recently purchased 21 and a half acres upstate New York to just target shoot hike camp and enjoy with my friends and family, its unavoidable that everything up there is hunting this and that and I always had a interest to learn but never wanted to just look stupid so i purchased a Savage Axis .308 but did not get a sight with it as I wanted to do a little research and reading up to get something that is decent its an inexpensive rifle and was looking to slap a inexpensive but accurate sight on it just for my learning experience and then upgrade as I go. I don't know much about sights and even less about hunting so any information would be really appreciated. Thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2643 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted January 15 2018 - 08:22 PM

Good luck on the new property - You will like the Savage and the 308 is a great caliber.

I prefer a Leupold  in the 3x9 for hunting and target although a 4x is really all thats needed in the catskills for hunting.

Nikon also makes very nice optics for a little less money, also in a 3x9 configuration. I believe its the ProStaff model. 

100 yds straight away and a nice berm for a backstop on the property makes for a good range.

If you are going to take up hunting you will need to take a NYS approved hunters safety course.  What kind of hunting? small game. big game. ?

• Tenchu likes this

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 15 2018 - 09:50 PM

good evening all and how are you? so I recently purchased 21 and a half acres upstate New York to just target shoot hike camp and enjoy with my friends and family, its unavoidable that everything up there is hunting this and that and I always had a interest to learn but never wanted to just look stupid so i purchased a Savage Axis .308 but did not get a sight with it as I wanted to do a little research and reading up to get something that is decent its an inexpensive rifle and was looking to slap a inexpensive but accurate sight on it just for my learning experience and then upgrade as I go. I don't know much about sights and even less about hunting so any information would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Post your property and make sure you get familiar with the hunting seasons in the area you have land. Learn the property, if you want to hunt coyote this is the perfect time to do it. I hope you have a NYS Hunting license. A good scope is a 3-9x40 Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX3 with good base and rings. Bore sight and use threadlock to keep the scope screw from coming loose.
  • Tenchu likes this

#4 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11496 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted January 15 2018 - 11:15 PM

3x9 power is pretty much all you need in NY unless you got huge fields and 150 plus yards shots are the norm. I bought a Minox ZV3 from our sponsor Cameraland NY. i paid under 100 with our discount and I will put that glass up against any other brand of glass. It is normally over $250.

But I highly recommend Leupold mounts. AND DONT PAY someone to mount it i have never seen one gun bore sited that even hit the board at 50. Pm me if you need help

• Tenchu likes this

#5 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 16 2018 - 07:14 AM

3x9 power is pretty much all you need in NY unless you got huge fields and 150 plus yards shots are the norm. I bought a Minox ZV3 from our sponsor Cameraland NY. i paid under 100 with our discount and I will put that glass up against any other brand of glass. It is normally over $250.
But I highly recommend Leupold mounts. AND DONT PAY someone to mount it i have never seen one gun bore sited that even hit the board at 50. Pm me if you need help

I wouldn't recommend an inexpensive scope that you haven't put to the test in Hunting conditions. I had a Bushnell Sportview 3-9x40 on my hunting rifle when I was a young guy. It was an inexpensive scope that I could afford at the time. It was terrible in low light conditions. I stopped counting how many times I would see a deer walking in the woods at first light or when it was getting dark. My cheap scope couldn't pick up any light. I bought better quality Scopes like Leupold and was pleased with the performance. For $200 you can buy a good Hunting scope that has a lifetime guarantee. You get what you pay for.
  • Tenchu likes this

#6 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted January 16 2018 - 09:44 AM

It used to be that the rule was spend as much on the scope as you do on the rifle.

With the quality of name brand scopes much higher now, those days are over.

A hunting rifle is a hunting rifle. The Axis is just that, a good basic hunting rifle that will last you a lifetime.

Now just get a good budget hunting scope. When your ego and pocket book fill up, then upgrade.

The Savage is a good accurate rifle, you won't shoot any better at 100 yds, but you'll look better :)

There are plenty of good name brand scope around $150.

Nikon Buckmaster

Vortex Crossfire II

Bushnell Banner

If you're concerned about the early/late light shot go 50mm objective not 40mm.

One of the site sponsors always has good deals on Vortex; they also list on Amazon if you live too far from them.

Use cheap ammo to get trigger time, but dial in and practice with quality ammo when it's huntin time.

Good luck.

• Tenchu likes this

#7 ZachP

ZachP

Gun Guru

• 575 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 16 2018 - 02:09 PM

I've got a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 BDC that I'm looking to part with. Good for medium to long range. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

• Tenchu likes this

#8 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted January 16 2018 - 04:33 PM

Although its now discontinued I will swear by the shotgun scope I have, a Bushnell 1.75 to 4x Trophy XLT.   Was less than $120.   the crosshair reticle has a circle in its center which enables fast acquiring and have hit deer running full out and  perpendicular to my sightline.  While none of my shots have been in truly lowlight conditions, they were all in pine barrens type of woods and thick brush and the scope seemed to pick up more light than when I saw the deer at first with my naked eyes.  I fully agree with the above post by fenucho that you really don't have to spend a lot to get quality anymore.  You would of course be better off with perhaps a variable 3x-9x but as zzrguy says, so see what our sponsor Cameraland can do for you.   

• Tenchu likes this

#9 Tenchu

Tenchu

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBethpage

Posted January 16 2018 - 07:07 PM

Good luck on the new property - You will like the Savage and the 308 is a great caliber.

I prefer a Leupold  in the 3x9 for hunting and target although a 4x is really all thats needed in the catskills for hunting.

Nikon also makes very nice optics for a little less money, also in a 3x9 configuration. I believe its the ProStaff model. 

100 yds straight away and a nice berm for a backstop on the property makes for a good range.

If you are going to take up hunting you will need to take a NYS approved hunters safety course.  What kind of hunting? small game. big game. ?

thanks for the info i started the nys safety course online slow process lots of info so step by step. figured id start small game work my way up. its more of learning how then actually the hunting it self. hoping to be successful at it.

#10 Tenchu

Tenchu

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBethpage

Posted January 16 2018 - 07:14 PM

thanks guys i think I'm going to go ahead and pay the little bit extra to get one of the ones suggested to me here with the wider 50mm depending on the price difference to upgrade there. better to have then have not right? 

#11 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted January 16 2018 - 08:35 PM

Remember, you also have to see if the scope comes with mounting rings or not.

If not add another $20-40 for them.

If I had to recommend...   Vortex Crossfire II 4 - 12x44mm, V-PLEX or BDC reticle which ever is cheaper.

It's the best compromise because you'll probably need high rings for the 50mm.

Not that it's that big a deal, just fits in the rifle case better.

At the ranges you're shooting 100-200 yds, a BDC doesn't really matter. 

For the 308, zero at 100 yds, raise the cross-hair a deer's eyeball at 200 yds. 

Field dress, cook, eat, repeat :)

#12 CAP1974

CAP1974

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others:
  • 1788 posts
  • LocationMassapequa

Posted January 16 2018 - 10:10 PM

I try to keep things light when hunting and all of my rifles are outfitted with 2-7x33 scopes and I have never dialed in over 3 when taking a shot. I hunt in NY 7M about a 5 hr drive from home and the area is dense with thick cover.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1846.JPG
  • IMG_1836.JPG

• fenucho likes this

#13 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• 2643 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted January 17 2018 - 06:38 AM

thanks guys i think I'm going to go ahead and pay the little bit extra to get one of the ones suggested to me here with the wider 50mm depending on the price difference to upgrade there. better to have then have not right? 

If you do that (the 50mm) you will need high rings to make sure the front of the scope doesn't touch the barrel

This is turn will make the scope naturally higher on the rifle which means you might not have a good cheek weld on the stock. Also the online hunting license is a scam for your money - you need to go to a NYS certified class

#14 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted January 17 2018 - 09:14 AM

Ditto.   I bought a 50mm scope and wish I hadn't.  Even with 5.56 if it touches the barrel, accuracy is shot (pun intended.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users