New York Big Game Season - Page 3 - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

New York Big Game Season

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColchester,NY & Suffolk, NY

Posted December 18 2017 - 08:42 PM

Thanksgiving morning, andes,,,8 pnt....4.5yoattachicon.gifFB_IMG_1512524653713.jpg

That is a nice buck. One of your neighbors over in Andes took this one. First time I have ever seen one in the Catskills with a drop tine.

1zyeluo.jpg

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#42 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 18 2017 - 08:53 PM

This was a very good hunting season, we didn't get snow until the last weekend of rifle season. Last year was bad weather for opening day weekend with blizzard type weather conditions going on for days.
I did see more hunters around this year in addition to stepped up patrols by Encon.

#43 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11496 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted December 19 2017 - 12:45 AM

Bucks make mistakes this time of year. The peak rut was about two weeks ago. I shot many bucks pursuing a doe.

Where I was hunting the Dec guy said the hot weather threw the rut/heat way off as a lot of does hadn't gone into heat yet. All the does taken by my house except for one had no smell at all and no other sign of gone threw heat. The one buck I saw didn't look like he was in rut either. Weird years. 

Plus no yotes? WTF.

#44 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11496 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted December 19 2017 - 12:46 AM

Got my date and spot on long Island for shot gun opening day. That's going to be my last chance for romance this season.

#45 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 19 2017 - 07:31 AM

Where I was hunting the Dec guy said the hot weather threw the rut/heat way off as a lot of does hadn't gone into heat yet. All the does taken by my house except for one had no smell at all and no other sign of gone threw heat. The one buck I saw didn't look like he was in rut either. Weird years.

Plus no yotes? WTF.

That's odd a guy from the DEC would give you misinformation.
The rut always will be the same time, by me it's Halloween week. October 31 to November 6th, are the best time to be in the woods hunting for a buck. Never shoot a doe in October, leave them alone so they remain in your area to keep those traveling bucks fixed on your location for a doe.
November 2 I watched a big 8 point chasing a doe.
The heat or weather as per the DEC wildlife biologist I know in my area said the rut never changes or starts early or later do to the cold. The rut will start that time of month, always.
The peak rut is three days. A buck will travel up to 10 miles in search of doe. That is the time to use doe estrous and a rattle.

#46 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 391 posts

Posted December 19 2017 - 08:08 PM

Have to agree with boosti on the rut. Biologists now exactly when the breeding occurs by seeing when the fawns are dropped and they simply count backwards, it is always the same. Now weather may suppress movement but it does not change when the does come into estrous.

#47 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 20 2017 - 08:50 AM

Plus no yotes? WTF.

I would suggest scouting, food plots and trail cameras. In the spring is a good time to scout. The rut is during the archery season.

#48 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 22 2018 - 07:14 AM

The January season is a good time to harvest a buck. My cousin slammed this North Fork Buck yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5010.jpeg

• Parashooter and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#49 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• 391 posts

Posted January 23 2018 - 05:09 PM

Nice, the clock is ticking down.

#50 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11553 posts

Posted January 24 2018 - 01:01 PM

Took this one upstate. We had more bucks on trail cam this year than any other year before, including four good ones with this being the smallest. s5btq9.jpg

The January season is a good time to harvest a buck. My cousin slammed this North Fork Buck yesterday.

Yep... I gotta find a better spot!

#51 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 31 2018 - 08:19 PM

Today was a great day, I didn't have a good shot but had four bucks , two big 8 point bucks and one buck that looked like he shed his one side probably an 8 point.
I wish they could extend the archery season on the East End since the bucks still have racks.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180131_165016853.jpg
  • IMG_20180131_165029330.jpg

#52 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11553 posts

Posted February 01 2018 - 12:35 PM

Today was a great day, I didn't have a good shot but had four bucks , two big 8 point bucks and one buck that looked like he shed his one side probably an 8 point.
I wish they could extend the archery season on the East End since the bucks still have racks.

Damn!!!

#53 Surfrat38

Surfrat38

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 100 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma

Posted February 01 2018 - 03:31 PM

November 1st to end of January would be perfect. When I first started bow hunting when I was around 14 the season opened mid November. So many bucks shot in October that don’t get to rut. I’m fortunate to have a lot of private spots because of my work and that I can be selective and hope the ones I pass don’t travel to far past someone else. Hit one of my spots other day for sheds and wife found one side of medium 8 and little 4. Saw 2 still holding one side and driving around saw bunch still holding strong. Going to wait a week or so to get back out. Love finding sheds! Good excercise to. Boosti looks like nice property, you shed hunt there? And thanks for review about the Kimber I can’t wait to get it.

#54 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 01 2018 - 04:30 PM

November 1st to end of January would be perfect. When I first started bow hunting when I was around 14 the season opened mid November. So many bucks shot in October that don’t get to rut. I’m fortunate to have a lot of private spots because of my work and that I can be selective and hope the ones I pass don’t travel to far past someone else. Hit one of my spots other day for sheds and wife found one side of medium 8 and little 4. Saw 2 still holding one side and driving around saw bunch still holding strong. Going to wait a week or so to get back out. Love finding sheds! Good excercise to. Boosti looks like nice property, you shed hunt there? And thanks for review about the Kimber I can’t wait to get it.

I rarely go looking for sheds, I do own a few properties upstate. I am fortunate to have a wealthy first cousin that is also a hunter and get the opportunity to hunt the east end. The biggest problem is the weekend. Most city people are around and sometimes walk through the property and ruin a hunt. I definitely had a great time yesterday watching all the action.

#55 Surfrat38

Surfrat38

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 100 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma

Posted February 01 2018 - 04:57 PM

Nice! Looks nice. Good action. Agree weekends are tough. I have a place upstate to in Pulaski near salmon river. Don’t deer hunt up there just fish and turkey hunt. Odds of seeing a good buck up there are slim. The drive home through the city after being up there is the worst. Have seen locals get some big boys, living there is a lot easier to pin em down tho.

#56 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 25 2018 - 11:23 AM

Nice! Looks nice. Good action. Agree weekends are tough. I have a place upstate to in Pulaski near salmon river. Don’t deer hunt up there just fish and turkey hunt. Odds of seeing a good buck up there are slim. The drive home through the city after being up there is the worst. Have seen locals get some big boys, living there is a lot easier to pin em down tho.

The three point rule in upstate is starting to help see bigger bucks. When opening day was on Monday and no antler restrictions, you would hear plenty of shots. Also you had more hunters it seemed. The further west you go Delaware County, Hunting deer becomes more difficult since the areas are rugged. Less farming. My advice is create food plots in the spring and clear overgrowth and make a nice clean trail to your stand. That will certainly help in the fall during early archery season and help with getting a buck during the rut. Trail cameras are excellent for scouting. This will give you an idea what is on your land.

#57 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 05 2018 - 06:03 AM

This big buck is a good sign the winter wasn't as severe. I have kept the fields cut and trails clear for the deer to walk around.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5419.jpeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users