New York Big Game Season - Page 2 - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

New York Big Game Season

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1498 posts

Posted November 19 2017 - 08:14 PM

130.00 man price had sky rocket. I like to ask to they debone it or cut threw the rear quarter with the bone saw.
I myself run all cutlets from the rear quarter and the back strap.
The 2 front legs stew or the dogs get it.

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#22 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 20 2017 - 06:13 AM

130.00 man price had sky rocket. I like to ask to they debone it or cut threw the rear quarter with the bone saw.
I myself run all cutlets from the rear quarter and the back strap.
The 2 front legs stew or the dogs get it.

He deboned my doe, my friend who was with me asked him about his service and he explained that he will have it frozen and ready to prepare. He does a good job with wrapping it in freezer paper with no hair. I used a guy in Roscoe, Big Buddha Belly. Used the foam plate with plastic Suran type wrap. I had to clean most of the venison because of hair and use a filet knife to remove all the silver blue membrane. I would never go back to that guy.

#23 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColchester,NY & Suffolk, NY

Posted November 20 2017 - 07:58 PM

It was a very windy cold morning. This doe walked under the stand and ran 75 yards and dropped after a solid hit from a Grim Reaper.

Dude, what are you doing to her butt :o 

• Camaro45th likes this

#24 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 20 2017 - 08:09 PM

Dude, what are you doing to her butt :o

That wasn't me, that guy is from the island of Chios, a Greek island. He used one of those butt puller tools.
He has plenty of experience around goats like the rest of them who come from that island!

#25 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 391 posts

Posted November 20 2017 - 08:10 PM

He deboned my doe, my friend who was with me asked him about his service and he explained that he will have it frozen and ready to prepare. He does a good job with wrapping it in freezer paper with no hair. I used a guy in Roscoe, Big Buddha Belly. Used the foam plate with plastic Suran type wrap. I had to clean most of the venison because of hair and use a filet knife to remove all the silver blue membrane. I would never go back to that guy.

So the place is Oakdale vacuum seals for $130?

I personally know the guy Mike in Roscoe aka "Big Buddha Belly", and yes I have to agree about his service. I used him once years ago and when he handed me a box of meat all on a foam plates like you get in the grocery store I did a what the heck to him. I said this will not last three months in the freezer.  I went back to my freezer paper guy for $75 bucks.

FYI Mike's butcher service may not be for everyone but he is actually a great guy. He is one of the few carpenters in the area that you can actually trust to show up when he says he will, do what he says he will, and the best part is you can trust him with the key to your house.  The "Big Buddha Belly" stems from his love of beer.

#26 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 20 2017 - 08:18 PM

So the place is Oakdale vacuum seals for $130?

I personally know the guy Mike in Roscoe aka "Big Buddha Belly", and yes I have to agree about his service. I used him once years ago and when he handed me a box of meat all on a foam plates like you get in the grocery store I did a what the heck to him. I said this will not last three months in the freezer.  I went back to my freezer paper guy for $75 bucks.

FYI Mike's butcher service may not be for everyone but he is actually a great guy. He is one of the few carpenters in the area that you can actually trust to show up when he says he will, do what he says he will, and the best part is you can trust him with the key to your house.  The "Big Buddha Belly" stems from his love of beer.

I know his daughter from one of the local bars. He's a hustler, he approached my cousin in Liberty and handed him his business card for his construction company. I paid $95 in Oakdale, vacuum sealed. The place on 17B went up on price. My friend paid $150. He does a good job with butchering the deer. The contractors I have used upstate are a complete joke.

#27 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 04 2017 - 08:09 AM

It was a blood bath opening day doe season in Pennsylvania on Saturday.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171202_102616415_HDR.jpg

#28 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted December 04 2017 - 08:54 AM

I use Cary Stevens in Centereach.   He is a hunter himself along with his sons.  Not vacuum sealed but butcher paper wrapped with blood absorbing pads and then inside ziploc bags.

$90.   Two years ago I reached into the freezer and realized I had a bag of venison steaks from not the previous fall, but the one before that, meaning they were 18 months old.   Said to the better half if no good, I will just barbecue some hamburgers real quick.   Smiles on both of our faces.   Hamburgers ?  Fuhgettaboutit !    Have never once in 9 deer seen one stray hair.   Most silver skin is removed.   Cary will provide you with recipes and being rather new at hunting, (first deer was in 2010) he will give a polite critique on easier and preferred field dressing and always asks how you want the venison, just steaks and stew, etc.   Even saves me tails for making bucktail jigs.   

#29 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 04 2017 - 06:39 PM

I use Cary Stevens in Centereach.   He is a hunter himself along with his sons.  Not vacuum sealed but butcher paper wrapped with blood absorbing pads and then inside ziploc bags.
$90.   Two years ago I reached into the freezer and realized I had a bag of venison steaks from not the previous fall, but the one before that, meaning they were 18 months old.   Said to the better half if no good, I will just barbecue some hamburgers real quick.   Smiles on both of our faces.   Hamburgers ?  Fuhgettaboutit !    Have never once in 9 deer seen one stray hair.   Most silver skin is removed.   Cary will provide you with recipes and being rather new at hunting, (first deer was in 2010) he will give a polite critique on easier and preferred field dressing and always asks how you want the venison, just steaks and stew, etc.   Even saves me tails for making bucktail jigs.

It was $95 for vacuum sealed steak,stew, tender loin, ribs and roasts at Oakdale. I needed to mount the 8 point buck so it was a one stop shop. No complaint, venison was clean. The places upstate are getting expensive.

#30 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1498 posts

Posted December 05 2017 - 09:47 AM

Well no legal bucks to be found.
I think I head back up Monday for black powder season and see if I get lucky.

#31 Browning

Browning

Gun Guru

• 510 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted December 05 2017 - 08:48 PM

Thanksgiving morning, andes,,,8 pnt....4.5yoFB_IMG_1512524653713.jpg
  • mason852, boosti and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#32 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2962 posts

Posted December 05 2017 - 08:55 PM

Oakdale will do Summer sausage & Kabasi.   Not sure if it is exchange meat, or your meat.

Not that I got a deer this season, but not for lack of effort.   Hunted 4 days..  and I doubt I'm doing this weekend.   Never know how I feel when the final weekend comes around...

#33 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 08 2017 - 06:26 AM

Oakdale will do Summer sausage & Kabasi.   Not sure if it is exchange meat, or your meat.

Not that I got a deer this season, but not for lack of effort.   Hunted 4 days..  and I doubt I'm doing this weekend.   Never know how I feel when the final weekend comes around...

Just had two guys text me that they want to come hunt this weekend. I shot two deer during firearms season and one during archery. I can't complain, weather was very good. We will have snow Saturday afternoon, hopefully enough on the ground for Sunday.

#34 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2962 posts

Posted December 08 2017 - 09:47 PM

Taking the last weekend off.    I'm done.   Don't feel like driving 8 hours to sit and see nothing, and freeze my [email protected] off.     NY hunting is not doing it for me any more.

#35 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 09 2017 - 04:14 AM

Taking the last weekend off.    I'm done.   Don't feel like driving 8 hours to sit and see nothing, and freeze my [email protected] off.     NY hunting is not doing it for me any more.

You shouldn't be driving that long to hunt upstate. Before I had private property to hunt. I would hunt state land. The weather gets harder on you as you get older, but I love the outdoors and still enjoy hunting.

#36 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1498 posts

Posted December 09 2017 - 01:53 PM

Hunting in n.y.s. will never be the same as it use to be back in the late 60's
I am lucky my son has a home and property to stay and hunt.
Can't agree more as she creep up on you to me it's not priority any more.
Bones are old and I am 71 years old.
I still like to hunt but it gets boring not seeing deer in the woods like the good old days.

#37 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1498 posts

Posted December 09 2017 - 01:58 PM

Will give it a shot in BP season .
Will be leaving on Monday if it gets cold I will stay in and watch t.v.

#38 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 11 2017 - 06:25 AM

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon hunt. Plenty of deer tracks from the snow from Saturday.
On Saturday, one of the hunters on my property was in his stand around 12:30 with snow coming down for over an hour,at that time an 8 point buck was in range. He didn't invest in scope covers. He lost his opportunity at shooting a wall hanger.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171210_145801260_HDR.jpg

#39 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2962 posts

Posted December 11 2017 - 06:17 PM

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon hunt. Plenty of deer tracks from the snow from Saturday.
On Saturday, one of the hunters on my property was in his stand around 12:30 with snow coming down for over an hour,at that time an 8 point buck was in range. He didn't invest in scope covers. He lost his opportunity at shooting a wall hanger.

Every star must be aligned to get it right. Like 8 different sequences.
See deer move.
Deer in open shooting lane.
Find deer in scope
Focus scope (should be done before hand)(I made this mistake opening day)
move mag dial to proper magnification
heart stop pounding.
find deer in scope again
be slow and noise-less during the above 7 tasks.
safety off,
breath
finger on trigger.
if you made any noise during the above, it's over
If deer left shooting lane, it's over.
Hope deer is still within sights.
FIRE.
Hope deer has 3 points on 1 side, or prepare for DEC fine :)

It's not easy, & I admit I made many rookie mistakes, and still do.

#40 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• 391 posts

Posted December 18 2017 - 08:40 PM

Took this one upstate. We had more bucks on trail cam this year than any other year before, including four good ones with this being the smallest. s5btq9.jpg

• boosti and ProGodProGunProLife like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users